Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Moan about tomtoms own speed camera system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Moan about tomtoms own speed camera system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Moan about tomtoms own speed camera system Reply with quote

I have previously used an Origin B2 so I probably have a high expectation about how the speed camera system should work. I do have 2 main annoyances with it though.

1) It only alerts you if your speed is over 60% of the current speed limit. Thats not a bad idea for regular speed cameras however there are a couple of problems with this.
a) Variable speed limits. 60% of 70mph is 42mph which is not a good threshold when the variable speed limit is set to 40mph. It would be all to easy to speed up just before the camera and get caught.
b)Average speed cameras. Again its not uncommon for traffic to be slow entering a motorway where the first camera is located sufficient for you not to be alerted. By the time you get warned about the 2nd camera its too late unless you stop in the middle of the motorway.
Now I know you should be paying attention and spot the average camera signs but thas not the point. The tomtom system should be fit for what it does.

2) Isnt it supposed to not warn you about cameras on the opposite side of dual cariageways and motorways?
Mine does warn me and around the M25 and up the A3 into London which if they have to edit the cameras to set the data should be some of the earlier ones they do due to the popularity of the roads.
I have checked and I have the latest camera database and the very latest map.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that the most frequent advice is to forget the TT cameras and to use the PGPSW ones. General opinion is that it's 100% better. I can't confirm that as I had read this and the other main GPS forum and deleted the TT cameras as soon as I got my device without even trying the.

I had already been using the PGPSW ones on TT Navigator and I knew how good they were.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited testing of TT cameras on new devices, I had never found this 60% business, but you've got a good point with the variables, if it is so.

My gripes with them were - 1, they were inaccurate and very incomplete (compared with PGPSW running alongside them). 2, I could never make out what camera types they were warning me of - I set the warnings to different tones for each camera type, but often got different warnings and different icons for the same type! 3, I could never see cameras except as I approached and was warned of them - with PGPSW I can sit at home, look at my map and see if they've got my favourite camera on there, can't do that with TT cameras (or I've never found out how to).

The audible warnings for cameras "on the other side" is a "feature" of TT POI warning system. It happens with the PGPSW cameras too, because TT have not set it up as a camera warning system, but as a POI system and they have judged that if you want a notification of (e.g. pubs or hotels) you should be notified of them off to the side, not just by your nearside passenger door. When you set Only Warn on Route, they consider POIs as being on route if they fall within the radius/time you set for the warning.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TT safety Cameras and like Dennis have no experience of them only working when travelling at a set amount above the limit, indeed because they are a version of Points of Interest they should work at any time, any speed and any location near your route. There is a good case for indicating those on the other side of the road as some of the forward facing devices are placed there, to look accross the road, I think they may catch more people this way.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
I use TT safety Cameras

Any chance of you telling us about them?

Do you know how many there are? Do you know what the various types are? - I recall something like six different types, of which at least two were beyond my understanding (e.g. Toll road cameras, what the heck are they?). How can you tell if any new cameras have been added from your download via TT Home? I was never able to work out how to see them on the map - with pgpsw cameras I simply browse map, zoom down and there they all are. As an example, can you see whether TT have now included the 6 Specs cameras between M4 Junctions 13 and 14? Have they deleted the M4 Specs cameras at Reading yet?

gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how many there are. I can download a file from the tomtom site for older devices which is an overlay file. It sais it will be encrypted but I dont know if that would stop me finding out how many lines it has.

The different categories are :-
fixed
mobile (these can be set to automatically update as you drive)
red light
toll road
restricted road
misc

There is no 'browse map' option within the speed cameras map section so you cannot browse them. The only way I can find is to plan a journey and run a simulation. Not really a feasable option.

Edit: Just downloaded the files from tomtom website and they are unreadable so no way of telling the number of cameras.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, gblades. Although it is not grounds for criticising TT cameras, it does show up the transparency issue - they say they've got cameras, but you really can't see for yourself until one pops up in front of you on your journey.

Fixed, Mobile and Redlight I can understand, but have you any idea what a Toll road camera is? What's a Restricted road camera? What's a Misc camera?

Is there a key to them? Is there a key to the icons? - because the last time I used them (a few months ago) the four Gatsos approaching London on the M4 displayed at least two different icons.

By comparison, PGPSW cameras and the system are very transparent. In addition to being able to look anywhere on my TomTom to see if there are any cameras there, I can ...

Submit a new or changed camera and I get back an email telling me what I've submitted and repeating back to me the details of my submission.

Read how many cameras and types they publish. Not evidence, but I can prove it because in addition to downloading the OV2 POI files for my TomTom, I'm also able to download a CSV version, which I can put into my spreadsheet and not only count the number of lines (to prove how many there are), but also see the Lattitude/Longitude for every single one.

Use my own preference of icons for them. Use my own preference of verbal warnings for each type and each speed within type (I even have a couple recorded by grandchildren - Kool!).

Submit a new camera and by being the first to do so, qualify to get a free lifetime membership of PGPSW, with free camera downloads for life.

Download a set of cameras for all my family, living within my house, no matter what format - as someone said the other day, TomTom for mine, Garmin for my wife, Magellan for my son and MyGuide for my guide dog. All for just the one subscription. If we all had TomToms, it'd take four subscriptions

Sorry - sounds like a sales pitch, doesn't it? But you might like to bear it in mind when your TT camera subscription comes up for renewal.

gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there is very little information about the speed camera database. The manual does not cover it so the only documentation is whats on the website. You dont get to see a preview of the icons and the only setting you can change is the alert sound (or text) and the warn distance.

Even positive features like the realtime mobile speed cameras where any submissions are uploaded in real time and made available to other users if they have the feature enabled is not even mentioned and thats something which makes it stand out from other services.
It really seems to be a work in progress rather than a real feature.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblades wrote:
Even positive features like the realtime mobile speed cameras where any submissions are uploaded in real time and made available to other users if they have the feature enabled is not even mentioned and thats something which makes it stand out from other services.

And that only functions if you have a device that supports it or you have a connected and compatible mobile.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblades wrote:

But how positive are Mobile Speed camera warnings that have no knowledge of the applicable speed limit?
Yes I agree that being able to share this sort of data between users is a great idea, even better if you are using the GPRS connection via the mobile phone, BUT is there really much point in speed camera warnings without a limit defined?

As for the TomTom fixed camera coverage, this again is best described as inadequate from what I have recently experienced, I know for a fact the local fixed cameras are 100% correct in my local area (circa 30 mile radius). There are a number of missing fixed cameras within this catchment area when you use the TT supplied database, if this is indicative of the quality for the UK then my advice is not to rely upon it.

TomTom are still playing catch up in data quality, coverage and limitted reporting capability from the user base.

I know which database I would trust and it doesn't use red hands for a logo - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gblades wrote:
positive features like the realtime mobile speed cameras where any submissions are uploaded in real time and made available to other users
This sounds awfully like Mapshare and wasn't it realtime mapshare uploads (or something very similar) which shut the main A40 Great Western Road into London? Our mobile sites are NOT realtime updated, but what they ARE is verified by human beings who go and look. The TomTom version sounds like trying to get the oncoming cars flashing you a warning - I wonder just how/whether it works. TT don't have my confidence with Mapshare, so that taints my belief in the mobile camera uploads.

Have I heard that the mobile cameras upload and are disseminated quickly? Have I also heard that they are deleted after a few hours? How well "quickly" is defined here is very relevant - my texts and phone calls to radio stations about traffic problems are typically broadcast sometimes after half an hour, often an hour. Mobile cameras up sticks and move off after a couple of hours to somewhere else. So the mobile reports are likely to be unavailable until half way through a trapping session every time they are set up - that's if we assume a diligent TT subscribed user spots the very first setup timing. If the system is 100% reliable (i.e. the report is a genuine mobile camera AND the subscriber hits the report button at the right spot, not 100 yards further down the road), it looks like the absolute best they can cover is 50% of camera operations.

By contrast, pgpsw mobile camera sites, once verified, remain on the database warning you every day that this is a site where a mobile camera may be operating - you get the warning before it sets up in business, not an hour after it has trapped you. The pgpsw mobile site remains on the database until it is removed due to age without reports of further operation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: