Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 dumped maps & apps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 dumped maps & apps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keefy2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Got a strange feeling of "deja vu" when I read this....
Felt sure I'd already done an answer once today.

Are you "OldWomble" HERE by any chance?

If it's not you, I'll say the same thing, can you do a screen grab or preferably a file listing of the contents of your TomTom storage memory, please?
(you can use a utility called DriveZ)

Yes.

Cant do a screen grab as I cannot get any PC to recognise the Tomtom. It wont open TT Home and when I look in win explorer it shows 2 drive icons but tells me there is no disk in them. It does not show as the TT Icon. The TT only boots to the yellow screen and I have to turn it off via the reset button. The battery seems to last about 5 mins from a full 4 to 6 hr charge. This is the third time this has happened and by far the worst as I cannot get anything to work. On one occation I did get it to boot up but then it said no maps found. TT Home tells me they want nearly a £100 for the map as there are no updates available. Since then I have been unable to get anything other than the yellow screen!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you can see the TT as drives in Windows, but Explorer is saying they are empty, I think you might have to believe it. Sad

The only option would be a return to TomTom or somewhere like www.satnav-shop.com who do repairs.

It will cost you, and for the map as well, unfortunately....

Too late for you, but yet again it shows how vital it is to make that backup.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothetical Question:

Is it allowable, or even possible to go round a mates who has the back up from Windows Explorer and has the same TT as you,

you then back up all the software from his back up to your device excluding any maps,

then go back to your house with your computer and put your maps on?

Is the Software that runs the map device specific or not, is basically what I am asking?

Cheers

Carl
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy

are you sure? This is only 10 months old and the maps were lost because the battery ran down and something that Home did subsequent. We all agree that should not have happened.

It strikes me this is within the guarantee period and Tom Tom should honour that guarantee. And if they don't he has a good claim against whoever he bought it from under UK legislation that the unit as originally supplied was not of satisfactory quality.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
It strikes me this is within the guarantee period and Tom Tom should honour that guarantee. And if they don't he has a good claim against whoever he bought it from under UK legislation that the unit as originally supplied was not of satisfactory quality.

Bit optimistic I think. What if you format it - expect TomTom to put it right for free under guarantee?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Hypothetical Question:

Is it allowable, or even possible to go round a mates who has the back up from Windows Explorer and has the same TT as you,

you then back up all the software from his back up to your device excluding any maps,

Is the Software that runs the map device specific or not, is basically what I am asking?

It is only the maps that are locked to the device. So long as the software you are copying over is from a backup of the same model then that would work but in this case I don't think the OP has a backup of anything, maps or otherwise?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Hypothetical Question:

Yes, that's certainly possible, only the map (and any "Plus" services like Traffic subscription) is "locked to your unit, everything else is freely copyable

Quote:

Forgive me if I missed that. I thought he said he could not find any maps even when looking at the drives with Explorer.

Quote:

No, not at all. You can download the latest versions for free from TT and there are archive of older versions available on the web. Oldboy of these forums has one HERE

peterc10 wrote:
This is only 10 months old

I definitely missed that bit.
If it is only 10 months old then it is definitely a warranty repair. Just get on to TomTom by phone or email and they should organise shipping for it.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today I disconnected the battery on my 720 and after a few minutes I reconnected again. And, Darren was right, no data at all was lost.

Now be honest, a loss of power on most other electronic devices would spell curtains and so it goes to show that the TomTom Go is a sturdy little survivor.

I am only mentioning all this just to show that what ever misfortune has befallen Keefy’s device it was not caused by flat batteries.
Its only 10 months old, contact Tomtom.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
peterc10 wrote:

Bit optimistic I think. What if you format it - expect TomTom to put it right for free under guarantee?

But Dennis, he did not format it, and that is my whole point. He says that it occurred only after he let the battery run down and then connected to TT Home. What has he done wrong? Nothing. The law should be on his side with this one
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the problem be in proving that nothing has been done.

If like DennisN suggested it had been formatted TT owe you nothing, it was your choice to do the format.

This is, as has been discussed here, a really strange sequence of events as when the battery is completely discharged nothing should happen to the Software on your device because the memory it is stored on isn't affected by power levels, unlike my old PDA which always used to lose all its data when I didn't charge it, but Windows was always there.

The fact of the matter is that unless something serious has happened to where all the Software is stored on the device, TomTom would probably deny all responsibility.

Now the fact that the application software has been successfully reinstalled suggests that all is tickety boo there. Does it turn on, and say no available maps etc.?

Maybe now the application software is back, let the charge go again especially before you think about putting maps on, as you will be able to see if it was a one off or a reccuring problem which would suggest deeper problems
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
peterc10 wrote:

But Dennis, he did not format it, and that is my whole point. He says that it occurred only after he let the battery run down and then connected to TT Home. What has he done wrong? Nothing. The law should be on his side with this one

I was probably a bit too cryptic (I didn't mean to suggest he DID format it). Look at the first two posts by the OP and you will realise he has been struggling to put it to rights, e.g. he has looked with Explorer etc, etc. Now that means he hasn't simply let it run down and then found all is disappeared. I well remember my happy times in the past when I tried to put computer things right and managed to make them worse and had not the faintest idea of what procedures I had done, nor what order I had done them in, not to mention the occasional mis-hit of something! I mean no implications of anything, but what I'm saying here is (and carl has picked up on it precisely)...
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that unless something serious has happened to where all the Software is stored on the device, TomTom would probably deny all responsibility.
It strikes me as a difficult road to follow to convince them he didn't do anything and it just happened. Good luck to him if he can, but I wouldn't be holding my breath!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we know, it is very easy to corrupt most computer equipment (TomTom's included) simply by not following the correct procedure before disconnecting the USb cable. Often copying is still taking place even though it looks like it has finished. I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it MIGHT be something that simple (or that "Home" just threw a wobbly - which is also not unknown!).

It's always worth trying with TomTom, how you get treated often seems to depend on who you get answering the phone. You might get a re-load free, but I suspect if they know you neglected to make a backup they will charge for replacement maps.
keefy2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again all, and thanks for all your comments and help. At long last (after 2 months now) TomTom have accepted that it is a hardware fault and, as I have been telling them, there is no way any PC will 'talk' to the TT unit. They have now agreed to take it back and repair it. What a shame they don't read the emails we send them. If they did, this would have been resolved weeks ago and I would have been a happy bunny. Now however, I have to say, due to thier crap customer care I would NEVER buy another Tomtom. Lets hope this one comes back to me in a reosonable length of time. They are still sending me emails telling me to try this file and load this and that even AFTER they have admitted it wont work!!!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi keefy2
I see that you have had good news and Tomtom is to get you up and running again. Time to break out the champagne.

Remember, as soon as you receive the device, turn it on and place is straight into the cradle and make a Windows Backup. You can then fiddle with it to your hearts content. When you have added your favourites, cameras etc make another backup. Mine are safe on DVDs and my portable hard drive.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
keefy2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell if we want to 'break out the champagne' lets hope they sort it. I have to say I am very disapointed that it has taken so much effort from so many people just to get TT to react properly! It has also proven that they do not 'read' properly the emails we send them as most of the emails they sent me with repair instructions were completly irrelevent to the fault. If they had read what I had told them they would have known it is a hardware fault weeks ago!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: