Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ALG - do you use it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ALG - do you use it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The simple answer is to read the motorway signs, - Mike
A little while back that was great because the TT warned you at 1.2 miles of the exit so as you get the verbal warning, the sign passed in front of your peepholes! Now they have changed the verbal warning it to 2 miles plus… so by the time I get to the sign I have dozed off and then we get the next warning at 800yrds at X miles an hour in the outside lane and so have 3 lanes to cross. Yes I know, I am a really bad driver and should pay attention before one of you "holier than thou" efforts pipes up! Rolling Eyes So , not as good as the old firmware in that respect.

Also I agree with many others here that ALG gets in the way, is often wrong anyway, (and if you have never noticed this, then you need to get about more. Shocked). Another of TTs infamous add-ons that don’t work very well like the TMC.

My Classic really has all the functions I need and My 720 is a bag of useless extras that I don’t want, and can't use anyway because they don't function properly. Moan whinge grumble. Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copperbeech wrote:
Just curious as to where in Canada your sister was dazzled by the view...from a car while driving?....must have been in the mountains out west?
Sorry, I just edited the video and produced a DVD for her and didn't keep a copy. Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

advanced lane guidance has worked pretty well for me over in the states, and i imagine it will only get better as they get more user data and the feature is developed over time. as with mapshare, iq routes, and everything else, the more people use the functionalities of the tomtom, the more they will know about them and the better they will work.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
people use the functionalities of the tomtom, the more they will know about them and the better they will work.
Not seen much evidence to back your theory up there! They are well past the 10 million units sold, and many functions still don’t work as TT claim they should. How many people do you think should have to buy the units before they improve? Take TMC for example, over this side of the pond it just does not work, heaps of people have invested in the module and it has not got any better! Now there is to be HD traffic. So they have not improved the service as more people bought the traffic antenna as you suggest, they used our money to fund a new version which you have to pay for. So as far as ALG is concerned, they should have got it right from the off. It’s just another gimmick at the moment but in many cases it will give you duff info and send you the wrong way. Not what you need on a sat nav!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the above comments, ALG aught to be TLLG (Too late lane guidance) Confused
There are a few motorway exits where one leaves/joins from the right (e.g. M25/A21) But as stated above, if you are actually awake and can read, it's not rocket science to take the correct lane. Most people seem to be in it anyway, blasting down lane 3 then having to cut across 2 lanes of traqffic heading for the A21 to to stay on the M25.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had any problems with it at all on the way to & from Somerset last weekend, it gave me adequate warning with ALG around the J4/A331 & A303/M3 interchanges.

Quite happy with it.

I think what's needed is for the user to specify either a time or distance parameter for it to be a really useful thing, so that way it does give you enough time to position yourself without causing unnecessary sudden lane changes.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm undecided at the moment as I haven't really used it in anger yet. I travel the UK so much I think I've seen most of the junctions!

Where I really think I will find out if it's useful is travelling across Europe in our Motorhome full of Kids with signs in 'foreign' and motorway layouts different to those we have here.

Often in Europe you take a slip road but it's actually like a 'corridor' to the actual junction and in the Motorhome it's easy to get the wrong lane and miss it completely because there's a concrete wall between you and where you need to be.

Also motorways splitting with unclear indication of the lane to take is more common over the water too.

Tom Tom traffic works much better in mainland Europe so i wonder if that might be the case with ALG? Anyone used it over there in unfamiliar territory?
Holux GPSslim
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:
mikealder wrote:
The simple answer is to read the motorway signs, - Mike
A little while back that was great because the TT warned you at 1.2 miles of the exit so as you get the verbal warning, the sign passed in front of your peepholes! Now they have changed the verbal warning it to 2 miles plus… so by the time I get to the sign I have dozed off and then we get the next warning at 800yrds at X miles an hour in the outside lane and so have 3 lanes to cross. Yes I know, I am a really bad driver and should pay attention before one of you "holier than thou" efforts pipes up! Rolling Eyes So , not as good as the old firmware in that respect.

Also I agree with many others here that ALG gets in the way, is often wrong anyway, (and if you have never noticed this, then you need to get about more. Shocked). Another of TTs infamous add-ons that don’t work very well like the TMC.

My Classic really has all the functions I need and My 720 is a bag of useless extras that I don’t want, and can't use anyway because they don't function properly. Moan whinge grumble. Twisted Evil

If your doing X mph in lane 3 then the last thing you want to do is look down for at the TT & your better off looking at where your going Wink .

As far as TMC & lane guidance goes both work very well for me & for many others & don't forget you can always turn both off if you hate them that much, or buy another brand if your that unhappy with it Smile .

If it's all such a gimmick then why on earth do you all buy them in the first place ?.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest gripe is that we still have to put up with bugs which have appeared in later versions to use the new features. I notice that the fixed volume for the FM transmitter is still an issue so I get to choose between ALG/IQ Routes and a non-distorted audio playback from files on the SD card. Yes we like gadgets but I want additional toys not a choice between the ones I like (or a clash as is the case with the current Navcore options). But that's perhaps something for another thread.
Holux GPSslim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
I notice that the fixed volume for the FM transmitter is still an issue

That's not a bug, it's a deliberate attempt to pacify all the people who complained that at a reasonable volume setting for the navigation voice, the FM output was too quiet.

Not the most impressive "fix" I'll admit, but no one else seems to find this causes distorted mp3 playback. I wonder whether you have a fault with your hardware?

Does this happen only on battery power or when you are using the car charger as well? if it happens on both, is it WORSE on battery power?
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my company released that as a fix I'd fire whoever was behind it. Yeah, I knew the reasons/history but if the slider doesn't work and is present then it's a bug wearing a large hat and sunglasses.

BTW nothing wrong with the hardware. New Zafira all working well otherwise. Just as crap in my Motorhome. Works fine back on Navcore 7 versions (albeit a little quiet).

I'm in danger of hi-jacking this thread into off-topic territory. There are threads on this topic. Let's hop over there if we want to banter. Agreed?
Holux GPSslim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if you can find one.... Smile
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
Where I really think I will find out if it's useful is travelling across Europe in our Motorhome full of Kids with signs in 'foreign' and motorway layouts different to those we have here.

Often in Europe you take a slip road but it's actually like a 'corridor' to the actual junction and in the Motorhome it's easy to get the wrong lane and miss it completely because there's a concrete wall between you and where you need to be.

Also motorways splitting with unclear indication of the lane to take is more common over the water too.

Tom Tom traffic works much better in mainland Europe so i wonder if that might be the case with ALG? Anyone used it over there in unfamiliar territory?

I am in Spain at the moment and found ALG very useful yesterday when exiting the motorway north of Malaga. I was on a 2 lane motorway and ALG suddenly showed 4 lanes and that I should be in the inside one for the exit. The exit lane came up shortly (making 3 lanes) and I changed lanes. Suddenly another lane appeared (making 4 lanes) and this was the actual exit lane. It was unly available for a short time before the interrserction and without ALG I may well have stayed in lane 2 (assuming the new lane was traffic coming on as often happens in Spain) and missed the exit.

Generally the Spanish signs are good (much better than the French) and often have a sign with lane guidance before the exit.

Not sure that it works any better here than UK but useful for unfamiliar layouts, as above - one of the reasons I upgraded to a 720, as I holiday a lot in France & Spain.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan
Good to know it helped in unfamiliar territory.

I'm unusually office based for a few weeks but have a few overseas trips coming up. One is a short drive but it's in a hire car from Charles De Gaul, Paris to a client south of the city and includes an exit I always used to miss! Although I know it now it'll be a good test to see if it would have helped first time.

In reality, I think ALG might be a little gimmicky but I'm a sucker for new features so I'll persevere and see if I like it :-)

J
Holux GPSslim
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a thought the other day whilst gawping at the M1 for the umpteenth time this month. Volvo's built in sat nav is typical factory fit, but one thing users love is the split screen at junctions.

There must be loads of us chaps with either old TT devices or PDAs. Wouldn't it be great if you could pay a small fee to upload the ALG data to the old device, run it alongside and have it spring into life side by side. Then you would have a clear navigation detail AND the ALG without any screen real-estate issue. As long as the system didn't navigate and only showed ALG you shouldn't need a map on there so the licence fee could be say £15.00 or something.

As long as the info was triggered via bluetooth from the main device it would have no bearing on the location info of device 2 or whether it had a map or not.

I can't see it ever happening in a million years. but it would be a cool trick for those who don't mind more than one device on the dash.

J
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: