Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Odd Mapshare corrections fault
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Mapshare corrections fault
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Odd Mapshare corrections fault Reply with quote

Can anyone shed any light on this one?

As you may know, you can add a Mapshare correction icon to the "Quickmenu" so you can log a location with one touch, and go back to it later to enter all the details.
I've found this quite useful for logging camera positions when there are a lot to do in quick succession (new SPECS installations etc.)

Normally, when you come to review them, it shows the location of each one and you can scroll through them then go on to add the details.

However.... when I used it at the weekend, I logged seven or eight camera locations and it flashed up the usual message saying I'd saved the location, but when I went to review them, the display showed an "empty" map - just green grass. If I zoomed out, eventually I got some sky too, but NO roads or other features.

If I ignored it and tapped "Handle now" it acted as if I was marking a correction from scratch and the map display was wherever I last left it, NOT the position I marked.

It's totally reproducible, see example below.

I've tried resets, switching maps, and "Clear Flash". They've made no difference Crying or Very sad
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, this is just a guess, but it looks as though it could be saving the wrong co-ordinates for some reason, somewhere off your map. A similar thing happened to me when I used Google Maps to find a location in France, then sent it to TT. I hadn't noticed that I had found somewhere in Canada with the same name. When I tried to find it on the TT its display was exactly the same as yours.

Incidentally, I usually save camera positions as Favourites because I find them easier to deal with later.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I've had exactly the same issue for about three weeks, now. Just a pale green screen and no map visible when I click 'Handle Now'.

I've given up recording errors for now.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it could be something affecting everyone?
Can anyone else confirm that?

As to the saving as favourites, that's what I normally do too, but this method (when it works!) is the best and quickest I've found for logging lots of locations in a very short time, such as SPECS installations.

If you do a "normal" save favourite, you get prompted for a name so have to type something
If you do a Quickmenu Save favourite, it gives it the road name automatically, but when you do the next one it tries to replace the previous one if it is on the same bit of road.

If you do it as Map Corrections, it just logs them all in order and I use the voice recorder to make notes on each like "Specs 50 other side".
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried to reproduce it, both with and without GPS signals, but it worked fine for me on my 720, 920 and new 730. That wasn't using Operate my go in Home, by the way.

Incidentally, today was my first ever go at doing new cameras this way, six new Specs between J13 and J14 on M4 (I know I'm not the first to report them, but they haven't yet got into my Verifier's files, so I was starting from scratch like everybody else). When I went to handle them I then started doing a correction (just picked speed limit) in order to get close enough in and see the coordinates which I could write down. Then I went back and deleted it and went on to the next one. Am I doing it right, or is there a magic quicker way?

Voice recorder? Is that an add-in, 'cos I can't find it?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Voice recorder? Is that an add-in, 'cos I can't find it?

Use the Advantage, it should have this built in - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it has - I had forgotten since RTFMing (not!). I suppose I'm going to have to RTFM one of these days, probably the day I want to record something, then again the day I want to play it back! The FM is right on top of my printer, I can see it from here (since I did a clear out the other day). I hate New Technology. Does it still record with a flat battery?

Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
I had forgotten since RTFMing (not!). I suppose I'm going to have to RTFM
For the uninitiated could someone explain these quotes please?

Thanks, Keith Very Happy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Quote:

HTC Advantage.

Calomax wrote:
Quote:
I had forgotten since RTFMing (not!). I suppose I'm going to have to RTFM

Thanks, Keith Very Happy

Read The Flippin' Manual.

That's the polite version.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldboy the second was too obvious.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a couple of Pin Resets on my 520 last night (not for this reason) and after the first one, I tried a QuickMenu mark road correction. When I looked at the resultt, the screen was still pale green, as the previous correction I had made.

I pin reset for 20 seconds and on pwer up, with satellite coverage, I did two more marks for map corrections.

When I went to the Map Corrections, the old correction and the one done after the first pin reset were still pale green, but the next two were absolutly correct, both the precise location and the surrounding map.

I've deleted all the corrections and will do some tests when I'm on a longer trip.

On another note, I've had MapShare corrections about every other day recently, but no GPSFix files have been offered.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
On another note, I've had MapShare corrections about every other day recently, but no GPSFix files have been offered.

I've had QuickGPSfix updates every two or three days lately, and I downloaded one five minutes ago.

I believe if you delete QuickGPSfix Data via Remove Items in Home (after a Windows Explorer backup of course) you should start to get updates again.
Samsung Galaxy S21
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder about the usefulness of QuickGPSFix, though. I generally stay in the same area (home) and therefore get a reasonably quick acquisition of satellites, so it doesn't matter if I use it or not.

If I was doing say a road tour of the country, maybe it would be an advantage to get these updates, but it would mean having my laptop with me and being in a Wi-Fi hotspot to download them via Home.

Perhaps others could give their opinions. I know this is not really to do with map fixes, so Mods, please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum, if you wish.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:

Thanks, Keith Very Happy
Sorry Keith - and I'm the world's greatest critic of cryptic stuff. Embarassed

HTC Advantage X7510 is my latest Newtoy (or it was until I bought my latest Newtoy on Saturday, TomTom GO730). It is just about everything you can think of - built in phone, front and rear cameras, a poking thing that they call a stylus and yes, apparently a voice recorder, SMS, MMS, WM, GPS, GPRS, MSN, IE, TTN6,
I can easily believe it will do anything except drive my van for me.

RTFM-ing is something I'm known for not doing (as is plainly obvious from the above description of the Advantage - there will be some more initials that I haven't discovered yet - I've read the first two pages, only another 37 to go. Some day).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
I sometimes wonder about the usefulness of QuickGPSFix, though.
I and several others don't use it - in my case, not since February for several TomTom devices, with no loss of signal as a result. Somebody (MikeAlder?) said the device downloads new data from the satellites themselves every time it connects anyway.

My new HTC Advantage with TTNav6 came back from Corfu a fortnight ago after having GPS signals over there and got a signal again before I started the van in Cardiff airport car park.

Do a Search and you'll get lots to read.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: