Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 530 TTS for Cameras Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 530 TTS for Cameras Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freemantel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Go 530 TTS for Cameras Question Reply with quote

I have a Go 530 which has the Text-To-Speech functionality so thought I would try to set up the TTS warnings for the pocketgps camera database. Problem is that I don't get the screen that offers "full spoken warning", "brief spoken warning", "Sound Effect" or "type in your own warning". All i get after the distance warning page is the select a warning sound page which has bell, cow, cuckoo etc. Am I missing something or is it that the 530 only has a limited TTS engine?

Also, I'm going to input all the required distance to camera warnings using the excellent table on this site. My question is, what time do most users set it to? I was thinking 20 seconds...

Thanks in advance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which voice have you got selected, to use the spoken alerts you MUST have a computer voice selected (Kate or Simon for the UK voices).

As for a delay I use the 30 second figure, or for speed simply multiply the rated speed for that camera category by ten and use that - so 30MPH = 300YDS, 70MPH = 700TDS, this works out around the 25 second figure, but is much faster to work out while setting the warnings up - Mike
mgreaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility. On my 720 I only get the option to use the text-to-speech options if I operate my TomTom directly.

If I try to operate my TomTom remotely from my PC via TomTom Home then I only get the option to use the in-built sounds. This is annoying as it would be much easier to enter the text to be used by the text-to-speeh function from via my PC's keyboard rather than the TomTom's on-screen keyboard.
Freemantel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another possibility. On my 720 I only get the option to use the text-to-speech options if I operate my TomTom directly

That's spot on! I was trying to operate it through the PC so was not getting the option. Tried to off the dock and it works a treat!

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Which voice have you got selected, to use the spoken alerts you MUST have a computer voice selected (Kate or Simon for the UK voices).

Beg to differ Mike....
You don't necessarily need to be using a TTS voice for the main navigation voice.

On my 720 running v7.221 software, if I select a non-TTS voice, I get a "help" screen reminding me that it can't read out messages etc. and asks if I would like to choose a TTS voice JUST FOR THOSE.
It works fine for me - I can use Tim for the navigation voice and Simon for warnings.

Having said that, there has been mention on the forums that someone couldn't get that option with his set-up. Can't remember the outcome (unless it was like the OP here and he was trying to do it via Home!)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is due to the version I am using, but to be honest since the advent of the OGG warnings I use them as number one choice as they are faster to configure (under 5 minutes for speed zoned vs 30 using the TTS option) - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I *did* do it that way, just that I can... Smile
I actually use oggfile recordings of Simon, so I can have the old "Polite 2" sound effect at the front.
My preference is to keep them in the sounds folder too. The TT seems to forget them less often when they are in there.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone managed to choose the warning for "driving faster than allowed" (other than the Bells & Beeps).
Or perhaps no one has even considered it as a possibility - Smile What speed limit?

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, see my post HERE

(don't forget, you can also just type "driving faster than allowed" into the SEARCH page to find if something has been talked about before... Smile )
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote
Quote:
(don't forget, you can also just type "driving faster than allowed" into the SEARCH page to find if something has been talked about before Smile ... )
I tried that and got 8034 hits, most of which were irrelevant. I got the same result with and without the quotation marks That's why I never try a search, it doesn't work.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yes, see my post HERE

(don't forget, you can also just type "driving faster than allowed" into the SEARCH page to find if something has been talked about before... Smile )

Crying or Very sad Must have had a mental aberration - you can also do it (and get the instructions) using HOME

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Andy_P wrote
Quote:
(don't forget, you can also just type "driving faster than allowed" into the SEARCH page to find if something has been talked about before Smile ... )
I tried that and got 8034 hits, most of which were irrelevant. I got the same result with and without the quotation marks That's why I never try a search, it doesn't work.

It works if you use the Search facility properly.

Did you check "Search for all terms" and select the "TomTom GO/Rider/One" forum? That only returns 15 matches.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Anita, I used "use query as entered" which logically I expected to find the query as I had entered.

Anyway I've now found the other search button at the top which does a google search and seems to work far better except you have to use the return key because the box closes if you try to click on "search".
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I used "use query as entered" which logically I expected to find the query as I had entered.

phpBB's Search facility is powerful albeit rather illogical when compared with other search engines.

A search even if the string is enclosed in quotes will only return matches for the exact string if you select "Search for all terms". Counterintuitive I know but it's a 'feature' of phpBB and not something we can change.

Using the "Search for all terms" option for the string "driving faster than allowed" returns only 21 hits even before refining by forum.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, I've always been totally confused about how to search. Now you've explained it, I may be able to use it in future.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: