Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need a recommendation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilipOH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Need a recommendation Reply with quote

Hi guys. About to take the jump and get an in-car GPS system. I have no idea what to get. I'll be using it in and around the Glasgow/West Central Scotland area - occasionally north of Scotland.

I'm thinking of TomTom Navigator 3 (wired) and an iPaq 4150. But now I see the TomTom Go, so I'm not sure anymore. I do want to be able to add speedcameras, postcodesn and other POIs.

Any advice or even other recommendations of other systems?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Philip,

PhilipOH wrote:
I do want to be able to add speed cameras, postcodes and other POIs.

You won’t get the above with the TomTom Go system. Your choice of TTNav3, a wired GPS receiver, and an iPAQ is a good one. Bluetooth is now gaining popularity, I’ve got one myself but I’m keeping my wired GPS receiver as a back-up as it has always been very reliable. Smile

If you don’t need Wi-Fi, then the iPAQ H2210 might be another option as you get a CF card slot as well as the SD card slot. CF memory is cheaper than the equivalent SD memory. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
PhilipOH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply. I'd be happier with a wired system as I think they'd be more reliable than the BT - but maybe this has improved with the TT3?

I'm hoping to do a covert install - I can't stand wires all over the place. BT would have made this easier but reliability is important.

I'll be buying in the next week or so, so any other advice would be great.

Thanks again,

Philip
PhilipOH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So um... is BT generally ok?

If I go the wired route and the receiver can't get a signal, is there a way to add an external GPS arial?
HielandLad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very impressed with my BT receiver. I also have a Garmin Streetpilot III, to which I had to add an external antennae and run outside the car due to coated and heated windscreen. No such problems with the BT receiver. I think that sensitivity must have come a long way in recent years.

Also, no great issue with BT connection - at least not any more than a hard wired solution. I have a 2210, and like any PC prog you sometimes get a crash, or something odd. For example, I had copilot crash when I tied to start without BT turned on ... why it didn't just recognise that I didn't have BT turned on I don't know. However, I think that this is a WM2003 issue.

The only issue with BT receiver is charging it. I have a Sysonchip which lasts around 7 hours. The only problem is that you get no warnjing that the battery is about to die. The good thing is that you can stretch a charger cable to get by when it happens.

Alastair

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: