Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Please - Dell Axim X5 Upgrade to 2003
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Please - Dell Axim X5 Upgrade to 2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Help Please - Dell Axim X5 Upgrade to 2003 Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought the 2003 upgrade CD from Dell last summer but after reading some posts on here I didn't bother installing it, now there is a couple of bits of software I need that will only run on 2003 and therefore am going to upgrade, but I have a few problems which I through some helpful person on here can point me the right way:-

1, The CD won't run, my desktop has Windows 98se, do I need something higher? or is there a time limit on the software?

2, The upgrade came with Outlook 2002, when I tried to install that it asked for a 25 digit key, the key that came withthe software in only 22 digits long and therefore won't work.

3, How best to backup my PDA before upgrading so I can copy the info. back once upgraded.

Has other X5 owners had problems with the software supplied from Dell?

Cheers
Chorlie

lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) see if the CD has an Autorun.inf file. In that file it says which application should normally start upon insertion. Manually start that application

Win98SE is a bad idea for ROM upgrades, especially via USB. Make sure your USB setup works flawlessly, and that absolutely no other program is running during the upgrade

3) Forget about backup/restore. You are doing a major ROM upgrade here, backup/restore generally only works on the same machine with the same ROM revision.

Take this opportunity to do an inventory of which programs you REALLY need, and then re-install just those.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: