Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoffT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Newbie Questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just found this site while seaching for information on Pocket PC GPS navigation software, and have a few questions that I hope you can help with.

I will be using the system for multi-drop (up to 10 drops) routes, normally based on postcodes. I was going to order a Mitec Mio 168 with Copilot4 from Evesham.

The blurb says that Copilot4 has postcode search and speed camera warnings, but on investigation, it seems that the postcode search is only 5 digits and the speed camera warning warns when you are 3 miles away.

What I really need it full 7 digit postcode search and a decent speed camera alert that warns only when I'm approaching a camera. Ideally I would like the camera alert to display the appropriate limit and only alert if I am going faster than that.

Am I asking the impossible, or is there software, or a combination of software, that would give me want I need?

From what I have found so far Tom Tom 3 with ukpostcode and Trafcam added seems to offer my best option, but any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in Advance

Geoff
HielandLad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick comment. The 4 digit postcode search is designed to narrow down the search area. To have full 7 digit takes a huge amount of storage I think and so would reduce the map area you could store on a normal size card. However, after you have narrowed down to 4 digit postcode you can then put the street and / or house number in then in CP4 - so it will take you to the door.

As for speed camera stuff, you will find some other posts about CP4 and the speed camera database. TT3 is better at importing and ealing with new POIs such as speed cameras. It is true that you get a 3 mile warning, then a couple opf others as you get closer.

However, beware thinking you can use multiple different prtograms at the same time. The GPS receiver will usually only talk to the one programme at a time - so if you are navigating, then you can't use the speedtrap programme and vice versa. Far better to get an integrated solution. ALK are developing copilot all the time and are aware of the speed camera coments found here.

Alastair
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HielandLad wrote:
If you are navigating, then you can't use the speed trap programme and vice versa

Not quite, if you have TTNav and TrafCam, then you can use TrafCam’s add-on for TTNav, which allows you to use TTNav as per normal and also get advanced warning of known speed camera locations.

For further information visit the TrafCam TTNav page on TrafCam’s website.

Niels Thomsen’s excellent UK Postcode for TTNav only takes about 17Mb and does full 7 digit postcodes. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
GeoffT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HielandLad wrote:
A quick comment. The 4 digit postcode search is designed to narrow down the search area. To have full 7 digit takes a huge amount of storage I think and so would reduce the map area you could store on a normal size card. However, after you have narrowed down to 4 digit postcode you can then put the street and / or house number in then in CP4 - so it will take you to the door.

The problem with that method, for me, is that a lot of the places I visit are offices and factories which don't necessarily have street numbers.
e.g a typical address might be

Acme Inc
Acme House
Long Street
Anytown
XY3 4AB

It is only my using the full postcode that I can narrow down which part of a road they are on. I currently use TNT travelmanager on my laptop, and then print maps off to take on the road, but that is obviously time consuming and no help when I get called up with and ad-hoc visit while I'm on the road.

Geoff
Easygeezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,
I too am a courier, copilot 4 falls well short of being much use to us, I have used several sat nav systems and this is by far the worst, 4 digit postcodes are a waste of time and the rediculous thing is even if you put the 4 digits in and then the road name it gives you the options of those roads outside the postcode area anyway, like you said the speed camera bit is just a joke it is of little or no use at all, and if you are looking for roads on an industrial estate then 8 out of 10 times you might as well as forget it as they havn't bothered to include them. Forget trying to go into London because it just cant cope with navigating you around. The software is probably good for private use but it certainly is not good enough for everyday stuff, far to gimmicky... I too am going to look at he Tomtom route
GeoffT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a decision and have now ordered the following:

Mitec Mio 168 without navigation software (from some place in Hong Kong of Ebay 8O )

TomTom Navigator 3

Once I get this setup I will get ukpostcode and Trafcam as add-ons for TT3 and hopefuly I will have what I need.

Thanks for your replies.

Geoff
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Full Time Courier, and I refuse to do Multi Drops, but since I have purchased and used my CoPilot 4, I haven't had any problems finding my delivery addresses. If you are lucky enough to have the 'way-out' address of a business before hand I search on Yell.com which gives a zoomed in map which is easily printed off.
But even Central London is a doddle now. Driving Stuart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: