Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How often do tomtom change there maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How often do tomtom change there maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: How often do tomtom change there maps Reply with quote

Smile hi,

Having just updated my new 520 to the new map version 810. can anyone tell me when tomtom will update there maps again Smile do they do it 3 monthly,6 monthly or yearly, or at certain dates/times of the month etc, Smile i am new to tomtom,and this site,so any info from anybody who knows would be most helpful, thanks Smile Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every three month has been about the norm for the past year or so, you don't need to update each time though, wait until you see inaccuracy on your map that you know is wrong then consider the upgrade otherwise it can become a very costly "chase the latest map" hobby - Mike
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Every three month has been about the norm for the past year or so, you don't need to update each time though, wait until you see inaccuracy on your map that you know is wrong then consider the upgrade otherwise it can become a very costly "chase the latest map" hobby - Mike

Smile Thanks mike,
i think i will probably wait about a year or so before upgrading my map,cheers Smile Smile
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joeann, yeah, TomTom doesn't have a schedule of updates (its not a capitalist calendar plan) but they seem to gather enough new data for an update around every 3~4 months.

Logging into your TomTom HOME software regularly to see if any updates are available is a good idea, also its a good resource for new voices, wallpapers and POI sets. My XL 330S is souped up with all the latest maps and quirky custom settings, and I love it.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joeann90
As I have mentioned elsewhere it’s a costly business if you try to keep up with the Jones’s when it comes to map up-dates. A once a year update is more than adequate. I know someone (a courier) who still uses his Ipaq 2210 PDA running Tomtom Navigator 3 and he chuckles like a drain when he sees users parting with around £70 every few months. I know that he is an extreme example but it does prove a point.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps don't change, just the version number. Laughing

It's a scam to get money for just changing the map version.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any changes made are not always improvements. A road that I use regularly which was correct on V6.75 maps has now had a 90degree bend added to it which has never existed and has become a dead-end.

It is now wrong in the teleatlas master data so it's not tomtom's fault but how it got changed when the road has not been altered even slightly remains a mystery. The google map even shows a couple of bus stops (correctly positioned) which no longer have a road going past them due to this error.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that TomTom, in an effort to cram as much as they can in succeeeding maps and still make the maps fit the internal storage of various models, take other information out. This includes the number of segments in a specific road --- the consequences of which are that what was a 'smooth' curve in an earlier map becomes jagged in a later one, perhaps even a 90 degree 'curve', I suppose.

This may be what you're seeing. As to the dead end? Dunno.
freddquimby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Tomtoms' out of date maps Reply with quote

I bought a new map this year which is still out of date, in fact, errors and changes that I had reported nearly a year before still weren't included!

So basically it was a waste of 20 quid! Mad

Tom tom do however have 'map-share' to which I am subscribed - but it appears to do nothing!!! - Roundabouts that aren't there still are, roundabouts that should be there still aren't! Confused

I think I'm right in saying that out of date maps are really the fault of their supplier, so I say "change your supplier".
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, TomTom OWNS the supplier (TeleAtlas) Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: