Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 930 GPS location shows to the left of road im on
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 930 GPS location shows to the left of road im on
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: TomTom 930 GPS location shows to the left of road im on Reply with quote

Hi. I have just become the proud owner of a TomTom 930 after using an Ipaq with navigator for many years. I went on my first journey today and the journey to my destination appeared fine. on the way back, the blue arrow showing my car location was to the left of the actual road I was on. this caused TomTom to constantly try and reroute me from parallel roads onto the actual road I was on. One of these was the M3 travelling south where I kept getting 'turn left' instructions. I switched off and on the unit several times with no difference. As soon as the GPS picked up again (which was almost instantly) it was again out of position from the road. I got back to the office, searched the net to no avail and then a few hours later drove home. the GPS appeared to be correctly positioned on the road all of the way home. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a GPS calibration that needs running? I also noticed an issue when I had an Ipod connected and my bluetooth phone. The ipod was playing through the FM transmitter together with voice instructions. when I received a call, all was well with this directed through the GO's speaker (shame this cant route through fm transmitter!) but when the call ended, all sound was lost until I reset. It looks to me like these units are still bugged. after £400 I am hoping that if it is all firmware glitches, these will be corrected shortly. I would love to hear from anyone who has had similar issues with the x30 series. Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to have been quite a number of reports recently of the GPS position being out by some distance, this could be due to the Quick GPS Fix data (if you use it).
Otherwise it could be down to a number of things, local GPS Jamming by the military, you mention the M3, were you close to Farnborough or the area the army use for "playing" with tanks?
Atmospherics, Sun Spot activity/ Solar flares etc but at least two or three others have reported problems in the last day or so - Mike
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the black holes in France?

Warning ** I am joking ** Warning
ChrisJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. I am pleased to hear I am not the only person with this issue. My trip was to Portsmouth from Windsor down the M3. The issue did not seem to be limited to any part of the journey. I noticed it kicked in just as I arrived in Windsor prior to a final roundabout. The issue still existed several hours after arrival as I set off to return home. Again, initially shown on this roundabout but continuing for the whole hour and a half journey back to the office. I switched it off in the end as the info was useless to me. Switching on for my journey home from the office, all was well so maybe you are correct with atmospherics but surely this would affect everyone at least everyone in the same approximate part of the country?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ChrisJones
I will be interesting to see if you have the same trouble when you next travel the same route.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i was on the M25 and from jcn2 A2 until i got onto the M23 towards Gatwick the whole TomTom went haywire.
The cursor was in a field alongside the motorway the red planned route line was showing on country lanes alongside and the status bar kept telling me to turn every couple hundred yards even though there was of course no where to go.
I have never had this happen to my device before. When i got onto the M23 it sorted itself out and ran as it should, which was a relief as i honestly thought the 720 had gone bung.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you chaps all using the Quick GPS update via TomTom Home or not? - it would appear most reports of problems have been from a similar area though so it could be jamming. Although when testing jammers the MOD have previously announced it and the areas most probably affected - Mike
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me twice lately. Just reset the unit (through the bottom hole) and it should be fine. Probably has something to do with quickgps data.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike i do use the quick fix data.
Tomorrow i will try it without the Gps fix and see if it behaves itself.
ChrisJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Many thanks for all of your responses. Yes, I too have been using the GPSFix info. I didnt try to reset using the hole underneath, only switched on and off. I will try the hard reset if it happens again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was doing it to me, resets didn't make any immediate difference. It just went away by itself.

It's only happened once in the last few months though.
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me yesterday evening around 6.30 and again at similar time this evening in and around Leicester on my 520. My given postiion was 'out' by varying distances from around 20 or 30 yards to sometimes only a few yards...and sometimes a spinning route on screen. Switching unit on and off didn't cure it, nor did a reset. However it righted itself on each occasion after around 15 minutes or so. I'm not using GPSfix, so that wouldn't be the cause for me.

There were a host of similar reports several months ago of course (and I experienced them at that time in the same area). But given the distance between current reported incidents, it seems unlikely to be caused by just local jamming.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep that happened to me yesterday too ,it doesn't happen often though
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet seen this on any of the other forums. Has it only affected TomTom's this time?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the off road GPS error last week, but it's been fine this week.

It's either a problem with TT hardware or quickfix data

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: