Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thanks again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

Confused
To Pocket GPS World & Dave Burrows
Thanks again
I was looking for a large capacity Compact Flash Card and took your advice and purchased a 2.2 GB MicroDrive, not from Scan but from Ebuyer (same price, I am an existing customer).
Loaded the total UK & Europe SmartST V2 onto it via a Belkin USB CF/CFR, it took approximately 20 minutes for the whole down load. I was curious whether the Ipaq 2210 & the Navman software could cope with such a large data base. In short No.
The 2210 took ages to load the SmartST software, so in doing so I unloaded the maps that I did not want via map settings within SmartST.
The object of this exercise was too see that I could program a route from home to the Dordogne in France (for this years Holidays). It would not? It came up with a box saying that no continuous road connection could be found. (I wonder why).
I will have to do it in sections, Home to Dover, Calais to the Dordogne (It works quite well)
Hopefully with any money spare I can fill up the Micro drive with other GPS software that I need.
After owning a GPs bundle for only 24 Days, my speaker on the PDA has given up the ghost. HP is picking it up this coming Tuesday, hope it will not take too long to get it back.(I only use it for daily GPS work & nothing else). So to try and save the speaker on its return I have ordered a SF250-Arkon Sound Feeder, from HandNav Technology. It is a digital radio transmitter that you can tune your vehicle radio into, to save the very sensitive speaker on the Ipaq, (in my case).
Will tell you the out come, meanwhile back to hard copy Auto Route print off’s for the time being.
DRP
Question
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.2Gb MicroDrive's are good. They are slower than regular CF but if size is what counts, then the 2.2Gb is great.

Before you pack the iPAQ away for HP, make sure you have a complete and I mean COMPLETE backup. Most Pocket PC's come back with drained batteries and when you switch them on you'll find none of your programs there, so invest in Pocket Backup now!

Have it create the main ROM backup to the 2.2Gb MicroDrive, that way you should then be able to put it in a laptop or a card reader and back it up to the PC so you have a backup copy.

Navman does have problems with loading a lot of contiguous maps. AFAIK this is something they haven't been able to overcome, loading them all to storage card and deselecting them to load on startup is the best way around this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: