Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Logging and Tagging for 18 months Round the World
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Logging and Tagging for 18 months Round the World

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zan5hin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Logging and Tagging for 18 months Round the World Reply with quote

Hi, I am hoping for some assistance with choosing the right device to log and tag my massive backpacking trip across 5 continents. I need help figuring out the best software and hardware to make this happen. Whilst I will spend a fair amount of time in the open country, I will also be travelling on foot through dozens of major cities with high rise buildings.

I am leaving on December the 29th, so I need the best solution on the market by mid-November to arrange shipping to Australia.

At the moment I have been eying the Gisteq Phototrackr, but maybe there is a better solution?

The new Qstarz BT-Q1300 Super Slim Nano Keychain Bluetooth GPS Data Logger Travel Recorder looks good, but seems to have a poor reception going by a few reviews. Would like to see Pocket GPS World's opinion on this model.

My current experience with GPS is a BT-338 unit I bought a few years ago which I use with Destinator on my WM6 phone in the car.

I will be taking my WM6 phone and a UMPC (currently the Fujitsu U810) with me overseas. The WM6 phone will have maps for as much of the world as possible. Same with the UMPC. Both devices have bluetooth. My camera is the elementproof, shockproof Olympus 1030SW. I will also have a portable battery such as the Tekkeon Mypower All.

I would like to constantly be syncing my photos and my location and path onto my blog, and onto various online photo sites, including triptracker.net which I believe has the best photo online mapping solution at the moment. If you know of a better one, please let me know!

Essentially my needs are as follows:

One device which is bluetooth, allowing me to geotag photos and also create a datalog of my entire journey. It would have to be able to act as a logger and as a bluetooth gps for my navigation at the same time.

Being able to create a multi-day/week/month datalog of my trip which I can put onto triptracker as a complete trip or as seperate countries. From the reviews I've read, I'm going to end up with logs each day, which I then have to combine somehow? Some info in this area would be nice.

Of course Picasa, Flickr and Google Earth facilities would be nice as well. I will try to use a few of the free online photo sites because they have different development paths, hard to tell who will have the best geotagging and photo features in 5 years time.

Charging the device would optimally be via USB, but AAA rechargable batteries is ok. Wall charging is the least optimal.

So what is the best device for my needs?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!

I've not really some much with datalogging other than just trying out the logging function in iGO 8 navigation software.

In terms of 'publishing' the trips have you also have a look at ttsm.com ? I preferred this over triptracker.net as it allowed you to 'play back' the trips as oposed to viewing just the route. from memory you can also upload photo's that will be matched to the location according to time stamp on the photo. OK this isn't quite geotagging but it a nice easy alternative to show people.

Good luck and I'm sure it won't be long until someone comes to your rescue!!

MaFt
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the QSTARZ series of GPS dataloggers.

I have the BT1000 - it has an SD card slot and a 2Gb card would go a long way to holding all the information. As it is also Bluetooth you could use it to connect to a PDA based navigation system. There is some s/w supplied for geotagging photos - it works reasonably well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: