Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i / S70 - Does the SP2 fix POI limit?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i / S70 - Does the SP2 fix POI limit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavaChild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: S90i / S70 - Does the SP2 fix POI limit? Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm interested in a S90i or S70. No other sat navs appear so feature rich at a similar price. I inteded to purchase a sat nav and sign for the camera updates here but the noted limitation worries me to the point I am put off purchasing the Navman.

I've noticed on the Navman site that there is an SP2 update. Can anybody tell me what this does? Does it remove the POI limit?

Cheers!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

All current Navman / Mio models are effected by the 12000 custom POI limit, although it hasn't proved to be anywhere near as much of a problem for me as some others on the forums

Just use the Navman built-in (excellent for fixed locations), and PGPSW for mobile cams

Would recommend the just released 3D models (which are usually found cheaper than the older standard modes, inspite of newer mapping and more features) because of the better mio influenced pricing

New edition Navmans are also expected November time
jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 12000 limit is causing my unit to crash. I can not account for the crashing any other way as it has been "repaired" three times and still crashes with POI's loaded near to the 12000 limit.

I asked Navman when the new software would be released and what the cost would be. The person I contacted denied any knowledge of any forthcoming major release.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

It IS the 12000 limit that causes the units to crash - although in my experience, anywhere near this also causes problems, so keep it below 10,000 or there abouts and you should be okay

The expected release of the mio / navman units has been reported on several websites, although no exact details

It is anticipated that they will build upon 3D with true elevation mapping and lane guidance (getting Mio back to the facilties it offered with its C620 before Navman, so it can offer previous Mio owners the opportunity to purchase new mapping and software) - continuing with the live POI Mio Navman Connect and a unit with built in SIM too

Guess we will see all this start to emerge sometime next month

Or next June if Navman release dates are on par with their previous efforts!
deeranwith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: S70 POI limit Reply with quote

I am interested in this issue as I along with others have has the S70 reboot for no apparent reason. I must be running close to the 12000 limit but I don't know how close.
How do I find out? Any clues please.
deeranwith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: POI Limit Reply with quote

I have tried to find out from Navman what the situation is re the 12000 limit. I followed the advice found elsewhere on this site as to the removal of the RoadPilot data. OK, I managed to remove the cameras from my unit, BUT the limit stayed the same when I came to add the PGW data!! I contacted Navman to seek a solution with the following response.

"This can be updated when you update the map since the POIs are embedded on the map data."

Great Help!

Has anyone successfully remove RoadPilot and installed PGW data? If so how?

The unit concerned is a Navman S70 wideangle (Currently no updates for RoadPilot available!)
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Limit Reply with quote

deeranwith wrote:
OK, I managed to remove the cameras from my unit, BUT the limit stayed the same when I came to add the PGW data!!

As they said in their reply, subscription camera data is in different format -- the same one that they use for their maps. Data encoded in map format is not hit with 12k limit. However, when you pick up data somewhere else in CSV format and add it to your unit yourself, it gets encoded into a different format that is limited to 12k.
deeranwith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply which now makes sense of the situation. So to recap, I am stuck with out of date RoadPilot data but can add up to 12K of other data (cameras etc). I should however try to remain below 10K to reduce the possibility of spurious reboots.
Does any one know if this 12K limit is being raised?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, will someone explain what constitutes 12,000. For instance, if I download the Navman consolidated Safety camera files for this month, how how does that relate to the 12k limit? Rolling Eyes
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Just to clarify, will someone explain what constitutes 12,000. For instance, if I download the Navman consolidated Safety camera files for this month, how how does that relate to the 12k limit? Rolling Eyes

On S-Series Navman has two types of POI file formats -- one which they use (which is not editable on device and DRMed) and the other which is for user generated content (stuff that you create yourself or get from non-Navman providers, usually in CSV format, like PGPSW speed camera database).

This other format is used for NavPix and Custom POI. It is editable on device and you can assign the same item to more than one type -- this is important for S90 since it enables you to assign photos you take yourself into different categories (e.g. you take photo of your favourite pub and then assign it to "My Favourite Places" and "Places My Wife Hates"). However, there is price to pay for this flexibility, and that's the 12k limit -- if you add more than 12k NavPix and Custom POIs combined, you get performance issues.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's a balancing job. I don't need pictures, that's what I use a camera for, so then I should able to load a months set of PGPSW safety cam files.
deeranwith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: POI limit Reply with quote

Yes fine, but I have a S70W with no navpics on it!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: POI limit Reply with quote

deeranwith wrote:
Yes fine, but I have a S70W with no navpics on it!

And I notice that Amazon are selling it for £124 with a free TMC cradle worth £54 and full EU mapping. Now that sounds like a bargain. Wink
I think I will look into that immediately. Sounds like a pre-launch of another range Rolling Eyes
deeranwith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: POI Limit Reply with quote

Yes a good bargin. Laughing
nickster83
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,
Am having issues with my S80 crashing, i figures its down to the amount of POI's i have installed.

Just trying to figure out the 12000 part. I have a csv file with 2000 entries and that is it - no where close to the 12000, however i did have more installed a few days ago when it started crashing - it still seems to crash even though i have deleted most of them.

any ideas? my navman is only a week old.. i'm thinking maybe i should return it to halfords and get something different.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: