Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch New x40 LIVE SatNav Range at IFA (540/740/940)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch New x40 LIVE SatNav Range at IFA (540/740/940)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe Vodafone UK are charging more?
roadangelboss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
themanhimself wrote:
just wondering will the new 940 traffic HD also update the speed cameras live anyone know thank you so much

I would have thought all the TomTom Plus services will be capable of using the built in GPRS modem including the TomTom Safety Cameras, the Speed Cameras from this site probably won't be able to use it though - Mike

Given that for 'Tom Tom Safety Cameras' UK users should read 'Road Angel Cameras' and the fact that Road Angel are the only company already providing live, over the air updates to fixed and live mobile cameras to their current devices it would be fair to assume GPRS will have a part to play in the camera updates. Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, a rather large jump there. I wouldn't be quite so sure just yet.
roadangelboss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren - the clue is in my nick name Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the previous poster's name Darren? Confused
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New device range every half year. Is TomTom a hardware house? I have a year old GO720T, where in hell I need a new device twice a year? No thanks TomTom. I need new maps, new software versions to navigate from point A to point B using my recent device.

There is now new maps v.8.10, where do I need them in September after the vacation time? I need the new ones when I'm on the journey on the SUMMER time from June to August.

I have mounts which suits my car, with every range a new way to mount, that is stupid. Maybe a buy a new GO in year 2010, it might be the spring/summer version x70 or perhaps the next spring/summer version x90 in 2011. I have no need to the autumn/winter versions.
Burn In Hell
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness the x20 and x30 range are identical with the exception of the maps that were specific to the x30, with the release of the v810 maps this differential is no longer present.
I would say the high end devices x10, x20/x30 and x40 have more like 18 months between releases, and of late maps have been released around every three months, so you could have got an up to date map at the start of your holiday period had you wanted one - Mike
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
so you could have got an up to date map at the start of your holiday period had you wanted one - Mike

No new v. 8.xx maps for Canada in the end of July. Just the v. 7.20 Summer sale, why to buy an old one? I used the v.7.10 without any problems and saved 49.95 euros, nice.

Last edited by Hartsa on Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadangelboss wrote:
Given that for 'Tom Tom Safety Cameras' UK users should read 'Road Angel Cameras' .......

According to the Road Angel website, Road Angel data is not supplied to anyone else.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartsa wrote:
New device range every half year. Is TomTom a hardware house? (etc.)

Well, yes it is!

I don't understand your posts Hartsa, no one is forcing you to buy new devices or maps... Just stick with what you've got.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartsa wrote:
New device range every half year. Is TomTom a hardware house?

well looking at their range - mostly

Hartsa wrote:
I have a year old GO720T, where in hell I need a new device twice a year?

Just keep using it until it stops working (I don't think even TomTom stops the application working just because there is a new model) or you decide the new one offers sufficient features that you must have to justify the upgrade. You don't even need to upgrade the maps if you are happy to accept that sometimes there will be new roads
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Hartsa wrote:
New device range every half year. Is TomTom a hardware house? (etc.)

Well, yes it is!

I don't understand your posts Hartsa, no one is forcing you to buy new devices or maps... Just stick with what you've got.

In my opinion TT should invest more in developing the software and services (and support). Now they are investing in lot of money to releasing new devices much often than new software. Is it really necessary, do we need new hardware gadgets so often?

I'm not investing in a new PC or a new phone every half year to get new features (I can update and upgrade them), why should I invest in a new PND to get new features? The PND costs as much as a new phone. Everyone of us is using their phones everyday, how many needs the PND everyday?

This summer I didn't have a possibility to buy version 8.xx maps for my device, only the sale version 7.20. The GO730 had newer maps. Is it a really good service to release newer version maps months later to the existing customers than newer customers have?

"no one is forcing", when planning last summer trips I couldn't get the Advanced Lane Guidance for my GO720, if it would have been essential, I would have forced to buy a new device to get that feature. What is that?

Yes I have a year old GO720, does TT have something to offer me next year? I doubt that, my device is then totally out of date and I'm forced to buy a new one.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartsa wrote:
In my opinion TT should invest more in developing the software and services (and support). Now they are investing in lot of money to releasing new devices much often than new software. Is it really necessary, do we need new hardware gadgets so often?
There must be a market place for the new devices and people that are willing to either upgrade to higher specification devices or we would all still be using the original TomTom Go, considering they don't charge for software updates I am quite surprised how often new releases are made freely available.

Hartsa wrote:
I'm not investing in a new PC or a new phone every half year to get new features (I can update and upgrade them), why should I invest in a new PND to get new features? The PND costs as much as a new phone. Everyone of us is using their phones everyday, how many needs the PND everyday?
Marketing, if you see the new features and you want them you have no real option other than purchase the new device - Your Choice, with software updates and new maps your 720 will behave in the same way as a 730 - you can update it when it is convenient to do so.

Hartsa wrote:
This summer I didn't have a possibility to buy version 8.xx maps for my device, only the sale version 7.20. The GO730 had newer maps. Is it a really good service to release newer version maps months later to the existing customers than newer customers have?
Plain and simple, TomTom had little point in making new maps available for the x20 range making them functionally the same as the newer models, so they released version 7 maps created from the same data used for the version 8 maps, they were devoid of the IQ Routes data and Lane Assist was missing but the road detail was/ is identical. With very few x20 devices remaining in the shops the logical point has arrived in time to release the version 8 maps with the added functionality to the x20 units

Hartsa wrote:
"no one is forcing", when planning last summer trips I couldn't get the Advanced Lane Guidance for my GO720, if it would have been essential, I would have forced to buy a new device to get that feature. What is that?
A very true statement.

Hartsa wrote:
Yes I have a year old GO720, does TT have something to offer me next year? I doubt that, my device is then totally out of date and I'm forced to buy a new one.
I am sure of two things, one is that TomTom will have new software and maps to offer you with Lane Assist and IQ Routes, the second one is that you probably won't be happy with whatever is on offer.

TomTom have an unrivalled position by offering continued product support and development ensuring that all devices can use the newer maps, it will take time for the changes to filter through to the x10, x00 and original Go devices but they have managed to continue this trend over the years - no other manufacturer can come close to this in terms of preventing a device becoming obsolescent - Mike
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I am sure of two things, one is that TomTom will have new software and maps to offer you with Lane Assist and IQ Routes, the second one is that you probably won't be happy with whatever is on offer.

I have used TomTom produtcs for years, tried something else in between, but returned back to TomTom. I was very happy with my GO720, I would have been pleased to get newer maps in June not in September. I'm easy old scrumpy man to get satisfied.

mikealder wrote:

TomTom have an unrivalled position by offering continued product support and development ensuring that all devices can use the newer maps, it will take time for the changes to filter through to the x10, x00 and original Go devices but they have managed to continue this trend over the years - no other manufacturer can come close to this in terms of preventing a device becoming obsolescent - Mike

I hope so. But if you say, the competion needs to publish new stuff again and again. But does TomTom have in the future resources enough to update old devices or does they invest too much for new devices with different color front bezels or mounting?
The competition should be on the software and their feature side. If the new device has a lot technical and/or electrical innovations and changes, just then it makes sense.
Has the x40-range: bigger screen, bigger memory, integrated TMC-antenna, WLAN, Bluetooth 2.0, has the inside changed at all from the x20-range? Where is the beef in the x40? The new mounting?

I'll criticize this (why the accent is on the device):
- The three models of the TomTom GO x40 LIVE series (TomTom GO 940 LIVE, TomTom GO 740 LIVE and TomTom GO 540 LIVE) come with a new and extended version of TomTom’s unique IQ Routes™ technology
Why not this way (the accent is on the software and service etc.):
- The new and extended version of TomTom’s unique IQ Routes™ technology is coming to the TomTom's existing and award-winning GO-devices. At the same time TomTom introduces a new x40-range with a new system connector...

I'll check the TomTom offerings for my GO720 next time in the spring: April/May when the new trip is in the planning phase. I'll make decisions then: new SW, new GO, if i'm not satisfied. maybe a new Navigon, who knows?
The winter time I'll play with my new toy. Lot of new things to learn and change when having a Windows Mobile phone.

Last edited by Hartsa on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have been at pains to point out, the x40'a are NOT a new product to encourage x20/x30 owners to upgrade. They are supplemental and aimed at a different market segment.

Apart from the LIVE functionality they offer nothing that an x20/x30 has and so any arguments in this regard, complaints about yet another model etc are pointless. No-one is suggesting you need to upgrade nor is there any point in doing so if you do not require or see benefit in the LIVE services.

TomTom have at least shown a great deal more regard for their existing customer base with upgrades for all their previous models, something no other manufacturer can claim.

What we need now is more frequent map updates at lower prices and better quality mapping. Ultimately a connected device will I guess be able to deliver these OTA.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: