Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which SD card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which SD card?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - just a quick word of thanks for all your inputs over the months about Sandisk. I had unfortunately not stumbled across PocketGPS World when I bought my 2210 et al last summer, so I got landed with the Sandisk card. Thanks to your advice and comments at least I've got a good'un now and the Sandisk is about to be relegated to my digital camera. Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In turn, I'd like to thank Jon 'HappyCheesecake' Crawford, the webmaster of http://sdprob.aximsite.com

Jon and I conversed a lot in the early days of tying down the various SD card problems - including a long phone conversation in which we went into deep technical detail about the issues (both Jon and I are developer level IT industry people - well he is, and I was until my health became too poor).

Jon's conclusions about which are good and bad cards are based on some sound technical research, not all of which he (and therefore I) have permission to make public. However, I think Jon's database, together with the numerous results posted in these forums and, indeed, the way that TomTom Support have adopted this same position on SD cards, tells its own story.

Negative points go to the person on microsoft.public.pocketpc who swore me blind that there was nothing wrong with Sandisk SD cards - but wouldn't back it with any evidence. It's one reason I lost heart for staying in that group - choosing instead to focus my Pocket PC energies on these forums where I hope I'm able to help people.

It's both a shame and a pain that Sandisk's SD cards are bad.

It's a shame because both Sandisk and Lexar (who used to use only good cards, then switched without warning to repackaging Sandisk at one point - I don't know whether they've now changed back to Japanese suppliers in their non-32x range) produced excellent products in other formats, and, in the eyes of me and quite a few others, lost their good reputation over this debacle.

It's a pain because Sandisk are, so far as I can tell, by far, the biggest supplier of SD cards. Not only are their products the most widely available, but they're often the cheapest - so many people buy them being totally unaware of the problems. This also means that the good cards don't get the market share they deserve and prices therefore remain high for them.

I'm staring at the possibility right now of spending around 180 pounds on a 512MB SD card, just to get one I have some assurance will work (i.e. SimpleTech). My Pocket PC is extremely important to me, being far more than a navigation system (not least because my disabilities now make writing almost impossible), and flaky memory is unacceptable.

David
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the cheaper range of Sandisk cards do appear to be slow compared to some others and would therefore not be a sensible choice for everyone. I chose my 1GB card based upon cost, previous experience, and knowing the way that I use an SD card. For me the choice was a good one. By the way, it cost £185 inc. VAT & delivery.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kartracer.

Which specific 1GB card did you get in the end?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT,

I got a 1 GB Sandisk from Picstop
http://www.picstop.co.uk/prodinfo.php?product=524
Ordered Sunday, got an email Monday morning saying that it had been dispatched, and received it first thing Tuesday morning. Their web site currently shows awaiting fresh stock.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think, at the moment, anyone is producing 1GB cards apart from Sandisk. That said, I'm going to try to hold off as long as I can from a card upgrade in the hope that there will either be price cuts in Japanese 512MB cards or that (less likely) Japanese 1GB cards come into my price range.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Panasonic Secure Digital 1GB card seems good with a transfer rate of 10MB/s. However I doubt it will come cheap when released.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My card (256mb 32x Lexar from the ebay guy mentioned above in this thread) arrived this morning (ordered monday).

Thanks all!

--ian
clv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 256 Mb card from 7dayshop:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=27882
Price is £36.99 and postage £1.95, or free if you spend more than £100. It's branded Viking, made by Toshiba, and works fine.
MrMrMr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to let you know that I have had to send my 128Mb SD Sandisk card back again for the second time.

I will never get another Sandiskcard, although currently they are all I have. I am still waiting to hear from them as it seems to have been lost so fr by the P.O?!?

Is there any SD cards with a lifetime guarentee? I know a lot do 5 years but would rather have a lifetime one, also wheres the cheapest place to get them? ebuyer.co.uk have a 256Mb SD Viking , PQI or Kingston for around £40 delivered. whats these like?

cheers
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon.co.uk has 256mb Kodak sd cards for £46 inc vat & delivery.

I have no idea who manufactures them or how fast/slow they are but since my kodak camera doesn't work with my sandisc card I'd bet they ain't rebranded sandisc cards.

For me I would only buy simpletech, panasonic or integral (japanese made only) cards at the moment. I just don't trust anything with china on it.
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got tomtom and my ipaq last night. I purchased the simpletech card (256mb) from clove, seems to work a treat Thumbs Up
bagmans911
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After advice I changed my Sandisk 256Mb for a 32X Lexar, what a difference, it is fantastic fast and reliable. Thanks David and Co for the advice, only shame I did not find this site before I wasted my money on the Sandisk!! Anyone want a cheap Sandisk 256Mb SD card!!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
For me I would only buy simpletech, panasonic or integral (japanese made only) cards at the moment. I just don't trust anything with china on it.

The three brands that seem to be reliably Japanese cards are SimpleTech, Panasonic and Toshiba. The latter two brands actually manufacture cards.

If you can get a guarantee that your Integral card will be Japanese, that's also a good buy.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: