Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - sat nav. help. which 1 shall I get!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

sat nav. help. which 1 shall I get!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iskc85860506
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: sat nav. help. which 1 shall I get! Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im not quite sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes anyway!!

I would like to get a sat nav. I am only going to using it in england so doesnt need to be able to be used abroad in any way.
I would like it to tell me when there are speed cameras.
When entering somewhere to travel to I would like to do it using the postcode funtion.
I dont want to spend more than £100 if possible and at that I would like to keep it as low as possible as I have already splashed out on one sat nav that I dont like!

I currently have the Garmin streetpilot 2620 but I have to enter the start of the postcode (it wont let you enter all of it) and the street name (it wont calculate journey unless it has both) and this is abit of a pain as
1) I usualy only have the postcode
2) it takes ages to start the journey as It takes along time entering all the info.

I dont mind if the new sat nav has a street funtion for getting you to places aslong as you dont have to enter both the postcode and the street.

Either this or does anyone know of an update or something where I can have my garmin sat nav changed so that I can enter the full postcode to get me to places without having to enter the street name aswell.
I dont know mush about sat navs so any help would be grate.

Thank you for all you help in advance
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom ONE V3 is available with UK/Republic of Ireland maps for £90 - here

I've seen people say that the TomTom interface is better than Garmin, but I don't have personal experience of Garmin.

Perhaps it would be worth a visit to your local Halfords, where you can have a play with various makes and models and then return home to shop around.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle of over three years using TomToms, I had a Garmin for a weekend and absolutely hated the interface. Totally unfair comparison period though.

Couple of things about that TT ONE.

It looks like that price is without an AC charger, so it will HAVE to be plugged in the car all the time (it should be, anyway, but the picture shows one without the in-car cigar charger lead).

Do NOT believe the hype about Mapshare, it's not all it's cracked up to be, so don't buy it for that feature. They're not actually lying, but like if you want a baby, don't go looking under gooseberry bushes or try calling a stork down! For instance, the sales pitch says "Get updates from millions of Map Share™ users worldwide", but in fact, you'll only get updates from the few users in UK and Ireland who have the same TT ONE and the same version of the map as you. You don't get updates from users in USA, Canada, France, Germany etc. You don't get updates from me or from GPS_fan, because we have different TomToms and different maps. GPS_fan doesn't get updates from me and vice versa.

The internal memory 512Mb is everything - no provision for expansion. You say you only want to use it in the UK, so that'll be OK, but you will have to do something about the space when you need to update the map.

As for speed cameras - it comes complete with preinstalled cameras by TomTom. They'll be at least six months out of date, or as long as the device has been sitting waiting for you to buy it. They're no good. Read the article by GPS_fan about the PocketGPSWorld one.

Having said all of which, GPS_fan has it right. For the money, the ONE 3rd edition is a competent device - I've just got rid of mine (replaced by something costing an awful lot more) and it served me well enough.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
FrenchLeave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an internet supplier (do a search) that is offering the Myguide 4200 for £79 plus postage. This has a 4.3" screen, and uses Igo software (very good) and Teleatlas maps (also very good). It has a built in speed camera database which is updated regularly on the Myguide site FOR FREE! The software has been written by a couple of Hungarians who usually write games software and is excellent. It also has the ability to display photo's, and MP3 and 4. It changes from day to night colours automatically and much, much more!

Downsides:

There is no AC charger supplied, no warning light to show the unit is charging/charged, only two voices (one male, one female). Oh, and the clever shadow under the position arrow might irritate.

But for me it's a no brainer, not sure what TomTom offers for all the extra money. Seems to me to be a case of "You can fool some of the people....
Pistonbroke666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Myguide 4200 Reply with quote

hi, looking to buy my first satnav and came accross this thread, having been looking at the myguide 4200, there seems to be reams of info and tweaks regarding the 3100 but no a lot regarding the 4200, i was wondering if the info on the 3100 can be used on the 4200 as well. If anyone can shed any light on this or any personal reviews on the 4200 i would be gratefull, thanks in advance for any help.
desperate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought one of these from Morrisons and i cant get the sound to work... Embarassed. Ive tried all the stuff in the manual but still it'll not speak to me. Has anybody got any suggestions Question
FrenchLeave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi desperate,

I have a 3100, but I believe the software is the same as the 4200. Go to the navigate main screen (the one with the "Find and GO" button in the centre and four other buttons (Cockpit, Map, About and Settings) in a circle round it.

Select "Settings" then "Sound". You should find a series of sliders marked Master, Voice and Keys. There should be a green light at the left hand end of each slider showing it is selected on; if not then click on it. The sliders for master and voice should be moved over towards the right, as you move the voice slider you will hear the voice at the volume you have selected.

Go back to the settings page and select "Language & Units", this allows you to select the voice that you want - I use English/Phillipa.

Hope that works. If not I suggest you take it back to Morrisons.

Hi Pistonbroke666, as I wrote above I think it's the same software on both 3100 and 4200. If so then it's the bees knees, fast to acquire satellites, smooth scrolling and with a good screen colour contrast (you never know how important that is until you own a Nav-Cam 7700, which shows minor roads as white on a light grey background and is almost impossible to follow). As far as satellite acquisition is concerned, I'm in my house, sitting in my study and it has picked up enough sats to give a 3D fix.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: