Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT in USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT in USA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: TT in USA Reply with quote

Just returned from holiday in Florida where my TT performed admirably.
At the risk of 'telling my grandmother how to suck eggs' I thought I 'd share a few things I noted.

1. I paid a small amount extra for the whole of USA/Canada instead of just the Florida map. It would appear (due to size?) that the USA/Canada maps are not as detailed. Searches would not alway produce results for roads off the main highways. Eg. where my villa was!
I used Google/maps to pin point my destination then input this to TT manually. Once input, TT would guide visually to destination. (Vocal directions stopping at the last main highway junction.) Interestly, when leaving the villa, vocal directions started immediately.
I think the post/zip code worked (but was reluctant to trust them) not being sure how near this would get me. There were also similar codes in different cities - be careful to note preceeding letters if you use this method.

2. Using pre-installed POI's for the main parks sometimes took you to the administration center rather than the main enterance (eg Universal Studios). As this was usually next door & with correct use of eyes/judgment it wasn't a problem Laughing

3. Watch your speed. Unlike in UK, the speedo for my hire car perfectly matched the speed displayed on TT

Trust this is of interest
Cheers
Steve

Last edited by obeone on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Yeah, for shits and giggles, I followed the directions (as provided by the latest maps AND mapshare turned on!) to the very obscure attraction of the Niagara Falls. Sure enough, TomTom guided me straight to the admin offices of the sewage treatment plant of the City of Niagara Falls. Good job all around!
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Very helpful - thanks Obeone.
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of the US map do you have? I just came back from Florida also and my TomTom worked perfectly directing me straight to my villa every time (i am using map version 720).

Not really sure about the POI's as i used my own set that i made up in Google Earth before travelling over, have learnt from the UK not to trust TomTom POI.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meryvn
Map version is V7.10.
Did you have whole USA or just Florida?
I suspect looking at other threads in this forum that the file for the whole of USA/Canada/Alaska is too big, hence only major roads (in search mode)
Don't get me wrong it worked OK, just search would have been better I suspect on the Florida only file. At the time just thought for the extra fiver.....

In 'add favourite' mode, the minor roads were on there but only if Map Browser was used. Not by address/street/intersection
Once I'd located villa as my 'home' using above method it was perfect (or any POI for that matter)
(When returning to villa it showed destination at 5 miles but miles to go at 5.5 miles).

Minor roads were also named/displayed whilst driving

Good point on using Google earth. I did this for the villa key pick up & it was spot on - wish I'd done it for the others

Cheers
Steve
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my TT Go 520 with North America 2GB v7.10 for the TT720 and added the POI's from TT920, when I went to Florida in April as I wrote in another forum it worked great. I added alot of my own POI's but found I didn't need them as all the Car parks for the attractions were in the POI's and it took me to the pay points everytime.

Good comment about the speed though, I remember saying to my wife how the hire cars speed and the GPS were spot on all the time comparred to the big difference between my own car and the GPS.
NA 2GB v8.45
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I live and work in Florida.

I use my TT720 with v720 North America maps.

I use it for making deliveries everyday, i own a flower shop.

Other than new roads, it picks up all minor roads even with the NA map.

I wouldn't use zip codes they are too big to get you where you need.

Most of the villa communities off 192 & Hwy 27 near kissimmee are on there, but a few do have fairly new maps which haven't been added yet.

Can't agree more about theme parks POI's, i would get close then just follow road signs, remember they want you to get there and spend all yer money, so they are pretty good.
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Watch your speed. Unlike in UK, the speedo for my hire car perfectly matched the speed displayed on TT

I to have just got back from usa and hire car speed was spot on the gps speed unlike 3-4mph difference here!! are we being mislead to our true speed?
Speaking of speed, do their radar detectors issue tickets in the post like ours? or do they use it to see your speed before they chase you down to give you a ticket?? Seen as most locals out there dont bother with reg plates at all, i'm hoping its the latter. I'm sure on one of their very very long straight roads i went past 2 police cars with detectors on dash at cough just 85 ish mph perhaps thats not to bad when the limit was 75...
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattstachurski wrote:

I to have just got back from usa and hire car speed was spot on the gps speed unlike 3-4mph difference here!! are we being mislead to our true speed?

Can't tell. I'm driving an oooold German car (US model) and after I fixed the speedometer, it's dead on.

Quote:
Speaking of speed, do their radar detectors issue tickets in the post like ours?

Except for the few automated speed cameras, a cop of some kind will take your speed either with a radar or lidar gun (warning, they also use aircraft, lurk behind bushes, or from bridges! no blaze orange vans!) and either radio ahead or chase you down. Or he just might spot you darting in and out of traffic at a much higher rate of speed than the rest and chase you down.
Btw, radar detector refers to those devices you stick into your windshield to detect radar yourself. Legal in every state except Virginia.

Quote:
Seen as most locals out there dont bother with reg plates at all,

Uh, what? I have yet to see a single car or truck without a plate. However some states don't require front plates. That might have misled you.

Quote:
i'm hoping its the latter. I'm sure on one of their very very long straight roads i went past 2 police cars with detectors on dash at cough just 85 ish mph perhaps thats not to bad when the limit was 75...

Pfff, gotta be a very bored state trooper pulling you over for ten over. If that's the speed everybody on that road's going, you're good. Just try to stay with traffic and no bunny hopping between lanes and other vehicles, and you won't have any problems.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radar detectors................forget them!

All its going to do is tell you that you have just been caught.

I have a good buddy out here who is a deputy sheriff for Polk county.

He took me out on a civilian ride along. One thing he showed me was the radar gun they use.

Its a hand held thing, a bit like one of thoses powerfull torches you can get, and it has a pull trigger on it. When he pulls the trigger, the reading is instant, and i mean instant.
So what will the radar detector do for you?
It can't pick up radar until he pulls the trigger, and when he pulls the trigger your busted!

He did say that they don't usually enforce it until your 10 over, they may stop you and check your details, which helps them catch uninsured and drivers with suspended licences.

I got stopped by FHP on the I4 doing 72 on a 55mph section. I was keeping up with traffic, but because i'm from the UK i don't drive on the tail of the car infront.
This was my downfall as it allowed the cop to single me out of the pack.

I agree, i have yet to see a car without a tag plate on the back. They don't need them on the front out here in FL.
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, i have yet to see a car without a tag plate on the back. They don't need them on the front out here in FL.

I did see nearly double figures of people with no plates on the back, or both! i know about most not needing the front one. This was west coast not sure if there are different rules there. One was a us airforce car (had that in small on the plate but no number) but the others looked regular runarounds. Ok if you can get away with it i guess.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud, you can't.
Seeing how police can't pull you over just because they feel like it (as is the case in Germany, for instance), missing or fictitious plates are just about the easiest thing to spot for Officer Friendly thus giving him "probable cause" to pull you over.
Maybe you missed the temp plates in the rear window?

Valid temporary license tag!
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have missed them all. Did cover 2500 miles and so guess they just stood out to me as being odd as i was seing so many without the back plate. lots did have the plate but it just had a business advertised on it or the car make (not brand new cars being test driven) again all different types of cars old new knackered etc. Wish i'd looked closer now it will have to remain a mystery to me. unless the temporary one does not have to be clearly displayed then it makes sence.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFreeze, do say hi next time you're in Winter Haven. I assume you're near Davenport.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
MrFreeze, do say hi next time you're in Winter Haven. I assume you're near Davenport.

Hi Gator,

I'm on the 27 just North of I4.

I think i've been in Winter Haven once!

GO DOLPHINS Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: