Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I need some help with my Navman F20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I need some help with my Navman F20
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clearlymessed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: I need some help with my Navman F20 Reply with quote

I have a problem with my Navman F20. The place where I plug the unit into my 12volt charger has broken. Now I know that there are only 2 wires in the charger, 1 red & 1 black. Is there a way I can wire it directly to my F20? I believe the 90 degree angle on the charging cord stressed the little plug inside the unit untill it eventually broke completely off of the cirquit board. But I thought since there's only the 2 wires coming from the charging cord that I could hook them up directly. I'm assuming the red wire is the 12volt feed & the black wire is the ground. If there is any way someone could help me with my problem it would be greatly appreciated. I really love the system, and miss it greatly. Since I travel alot with my work, I would love to get this unit working properly again. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice you may have on my problem.
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Navman and get it repaired under Warranty
call then on 0844 800 0912 they now offer 24 hour support
clearlymessed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if I was foolish enough to listen to my dad when he said "ah I(meaning we) can fix it", and opened it up? So i'm sure the warranty will be voided, matter of fact i'm almost positive it is. Is there anything I could do on my own to fix it? I am somewhat knowledgable when it comes to this kind of stuff. If that makes any sense. Thank you for any possible input into my problem.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how good you are with a soldering iron, and how much you like your Navman. For an experienced electronics tech, it's an easy replacement job, if they can get the parts. If they cannot get the parts, it's still easy to hard wire the lead onto the board.

I wouldn't got though Navman if it's out of warrenty - go to your local TV /Radio/ gadget repairer.
clearlymessed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I install remote car starters & stuff like that, so I use a soldering iron dayly. I actually opened up the 12volt charger to find a red & a black wire. Then when I went into my navman, I saw a red, black & a blue wire I believe it was coming off the battery to plug into the board. I tapped the red to the red & the black to the black but that didnt do anything. The third wire coming off the battery kind of has me puzzled. But if you can tell me where to tap into the board with the 2 wires from the charger that would be wonderful. Thank you for anything that may help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One easy fix might be to purchase the T1 RDS-TMC shoe accessory for the device, if you use one of these the power goes into the shoe and is fed to the device via the contact strip on the base negating the need for the power socket.
Although the connector that is broken on your device is also for data connection to the PC so it will have more than two wires. Being surface mount I would only attept to solder the connector with a very fine tipped iron designed for working with such small components.
The third wire from the battery is probably from the built in temperature sensor, most batteries of the type fitted have a heat sensor to turn off the charger cicuit if the cells get too hot. - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
One easy fix might be to purchase the T1 RDS-TMC shoe accessory for the device, if you use one of these the power goes into the shoe and is fed to the device via the contact strip on the base negating the need for the power socket.

That's a good idea from Mike. I have a spare TMC bought for my N20, which has never been used. If you think it is compatible** and you have not actually messed up your F20 completely, I am willing to sell it to you for a nominal sum+postage. If it does not work, then you can return it and I would refund the original cost.

See** here for compatibility and current prices.

You can PM me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I have a spare TMC bought for my N20, which has never been used. If you think it is compatible**

It is the same T1 device that is used with the F20 so it will work, just make sure you package the silly little addapter needed to go from the charger mini USB plug to the strange diameter socket on the T1 Wink - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
I have a spare TMC bought for my N20, which has never been used. If you think it is compatible**

It is the same T1 device that is used with the F20 so it will work, just make sure you package the silly little addapter needed to go from the charger mini USB plug to the strange diameter socket on the T1 Wink - Mike

Yes, adapter and power plug to ciggy lighter are in the pack.
clearlymessed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I would be able to charge the battery on the Navman through the traffic pack? Mike, you said thats also the data plug as well, so I wont be able to get map updates for my Navman w/o that plug? I do appreciate the offer Gee-Pee & will seriously consider it as soon as I fully understand my options for getting this thing working again. Thank you to both of you for your time responding me, it is much appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearlymessed wrote:
So I would be able to charge the battery on the Navman through the traffic pack?

Yes, the F20 will receive power the the connection strip on the base rather than need anything directly cabled to the device, the existing Navman car charger cable will plug in to the addaptor which is connected to the T1 receiver the F20 is sat on.

clearlymessed wrote:
Mike, you said thats also the data plug as well, so I wont be able to get map updates for my Navman w/o that plug?

That is correct, although you can still use the SD card slot for some data transfer to the device. Repairing the unit yourself is possible but not too easy, a new connector can be purchased for a very small outlay but the soldering of such a component isn't easy. The offer from Gee-Pee is probably your best bet for the short term, at least you would get further use from the device if you cannot repair the plug. - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearlymessed wrote:
I do appreciate the offer Gee-Pee & will seriously consider it as soon as I fully understand my options for getting this thing working again. Thank you to both of you for your time responding me, it is much appreciated.

See Mike's response. This would only be a temporary fix but would allow you to use the device and charge it from the car. We are assuming that your efforts to repair the F20 have not damaged other wiring in the F20 (it would also give you traffic signals as a questionable plus Wink ) Just post here when you decide.
clearlymessed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: A little more help needed please Reply with quote

So is there anyone that would know exactly where on the cirquit board I would solder the 3 car chargers wires to? A picture or drawing even would help me. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
clearlymessed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Some new info on my problem Reply with quote

I recently found out that the far left prong and the far right prong on the piece that broke off the circuit board are the ones used for che charging aspect of the plug, but I am not 100% on this information. Is it possible to do any damage to the unit if I were to solder the red & black wires from the 12volt charger directly to those two spots on the board? Once again, any helpfull input is greatly appreciated.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You NEED to be absolutely certain of which is pos and which is neg (red and black respectively). You also need to be absolutely certain that you are connecting 5v to it NOT 12v or there is an almost 100% certain likelyhood of frying the device. Sad
I expect that MikeAlder will be along in a bit and offer you a more consice answer. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: