Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fudge driver is a driver on top of the normal TomTom GPS and TomTom Navigator program. It was one to stop hanging when people didn't stop TomTom properly when it was receiving a BT feed. Some people have said that when they uninstall this under 3 it fails to run. I've uninstalled it here and it's worked fine, however mine was an upgrade over an existing TTN2.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me, or have some comments gone missing?

Either way, has anybody else seen this...

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=296

Might be an ideal way to get TomTom and Traffic working without tying up your mobile phone (or having to always have it on you)...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some comments did go missing - see the home page of the site for details (something like two days' worth seem to have been lost in many places during the server upgrades).

That product looks interesting - though I'd like to know a little more about implementation. Does the GPS work on the serial port Bluetooth profile, and the GPRS hardware on the dial-up Bluetooth profile? If the two functions are interlaced somehow, and need a driver to sort them, the whole thing could prove problematic.

Another potential problem with this is the need for a second GPRS activated SIM. Vodafone MultiSIM is incompatible with GPRS (at least it was the last time I checked) and many networks don't offer GPRS Internet access on pre-pay (Orange do at GBP4/MByte).

David
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: TomTom v.3 Maps Reply with quote

Just upgrade to TomTom 3, so I could have all the updated maps etc and guess what....the first road i look for, the A500 bypass Nr Crewe (opened June 2003) isn't on the v.3 map!!!!

I reported this road and a few others back in June, I wonder how many other roads are missing from this so called Map update. I could understand a road that only just open or even those which open this year, but one that opened almost 1yr ago, isn't in my view a map update.

When will TomTom release single map updates for there software...

Confused

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That road really opened too recently to make it into Navigator 3. The data was obtained from TeleAtlas in October 2003. As the mapping companies drive the road themselves and add various data about it as they do so, it really needs a bit longer for that road to make it into the maps.

A few problems I'd reported with the Navigator 2 maps shortly after release haven't been fixed - but I have found some improvements in them. Realistically, maps are always going to be some way behind reality.

David
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated to TT3 and upgrade worked fine, even though my Windows XP machine was telling me that Tom Tom Setup had failed and it needs to close?

Not sure if it's my Ipaq 3870 but I keep getting map lock ups. I have had to soft reset twice before I could put my first route in. I have read about the 3870 having slow connections to the SD card. The lock up just froze the tom tom software and just said "frame" on the screen.

Anyway, it now seems to be working again and I set a route to an address I know didn't exist on a new estate in TT2 so that is a bonus and the itinery settings are a major plus. Could really of done with them last night trying to navigate back from Luton to Bolton in the Bank Holiday traffic Laughing

Will see if the freezing continues as I do use the navigator daily.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh frabjous day! My TT3 upgrade arrived just in time for my trip to Portugal - and the maps actually have some of the roads on them!!

Everybody complaining about how TT3 doesn't include UK roads built last week should consider themselves lucky. Some roads on the Algarve that have existed for hundreds of years have only just made it on to the Portuguese map.
Bluecan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a fool I am. On Friday 30th April I received my copy of the TT3 Upgrade Disc. I eagerly installed the software on my HP2210 inluding the 3.01 and 3.02 upgrades downloaded from the TomTom site which are supposed to cure a problem with the TT3 and HP2210 combination.
In passing I also use a Fortuna Clip On BT receiver.
That afternoon I set off to travel to Runnymede in Surrey for a family wedding the following day. I am unfamiliar with the roads in that area (Surrey) so was relying on the TomTom Navigator totally.
I repeat "what a fool I am" having travelled some 400 yards from home the system locked up and after numerous resets continued to do so.
I travelled down the M1 and onto the M25 without the need for the TT3 but when I neared my destination I had to keep switching off and then on again so that I could get a "fix" in a window which lasted some 30 secs before failing again.

I hope TomTom read this forum because I am sure they should realise that they have not cured the TT3/HP 2210 problem, and perhaps they could give us some indication when we will receive a product worthy of the upgrade fee we have all paid.

Alan Paul
Bluecan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the problem with the HP2210, I have contacted TomTom Support re the problem. They advise removing the "pairing" in Bluetooth Manager and repairing the device.
I have not yet been out on the road but in the house the connection with my Fortuna Clipon has lasted for an hour so far without failing.

Pity this advice is not on the FAQ on their support site.

Alan Paul
Bluecan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last two posts. The problem was still there when I tried it on the road. I have again contacted TomTom support and I am now told that the debonding advice is only for the TomTom Bluetooth device.

I have used my Fortuna clip on device for the past few months with TTN2 with the settings on NMEA at 38400 and it has worked. TomTom advice is now to try the Sirf at 38400 setting. Any other problem contact Fortuna.

Alan Paul
aximx5user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: TomTom 3 Reply with quote

Nice review Dave. I have a Dell AXim X5, 300MHz, 32MB RAM with 256MB CF card (where I keep the TTN3 maps) and a Rikaline 6012. This hardware worked pretty well with TTN2 and the navigational positional accuracy was near real time for road junctions.

I am experiencing frequent freezes with TTN3 and the map postional update in now really slow - perhaps 40-85yds behind the actual position.

Re maps - I did see a modern April 2003 roundabout on the map today but I have also seen many older road feature (town bypasses etc that are still missing).

The postcode database is also inaccurate - my home location is not only attributed to the wrong 'town' but also is the wrong postcode - I have also seen this for London and Leeds postcodes.

... and the shortcut the TTN3 install creates on the startup screen of the Axim is incorrect. Trying to start TTN3 from there gives an error message
no maps found, please install and activate an original tomtom navigator 2 map first. Starting the software from the Start Menu works fine..
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems that ttn3, upon entering a tunnel, would immediately indicate loss of gps fix, unlike ttn2, where it would continue for a good number of meters. Sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that there's changes in GPS 3.x that change the "loss of lock" behaviour, or you've somehow set your GPS up differently under 3.x than 2.x (for example, on a SiRF based GPS, SiRF mode tends to report loss of fix rather quicker than NMEA mode).

If this is a problem, you could try uninstalling the version of TomTom GPS installed by your version 3 upgrade, and restoring the version you were using with Navigator 2 (if you like, 2.07 is available in the Downloads area of this site).

David
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the tomtom bluetooth gps so i just select tomtom bluetooth gps in the driver. and i was using 3.02 with ttnav2. i think it's a change in ttnav3, which is really a loss. it's very useful in short tunnels.
Mat_Wal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Was it worth the upgrade Reply with quote

Is anyone else having problems with Navigator 3, I upgraded from version 2 about 2 weeks ago, and now find I can't trust the route if I set it to shortest (this is the setting I had on version 2 which was fine).

I now find the it tries to send me down dirt track over fords and bridleways. Fortunitely I do have a 4x4 but this doesn't help when I'm towing a caravan.

I don't think this would have been too bad, but when I emailed Tomtom on the 5 of may with my problem, they didn't reply until the 9 may with the following message:

Dear Mr Walton,

We apologize for not yet having responded to your email dated 05/05/2004 06:20 PM.
We will get back to you as soon as possible and apologize for thr delay in answering your query.

Thank you for your patience and best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

This is most unhelpful as I find I'm unable to use the navigator as I don't trust it.

Has anyone else had a simmiliar problem and is it normal for tomtom to take so long in responding to the customers??????

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: