Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Freeview signal help needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeview signal help needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Bell Hill is located at TQ 757 613

For more information about this and the Emley Moor station try looking at This Web site, it also includes some tips/ tests you can try if reception is problematic (did you know that the Emley Moor transmitter fell down back in 1969?) - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
Have you looked at other peoples digi aerials in your road because it might just need an extension pole to raise it up a bit.
My pole is about six feet above the chimney pot. It would be interesting to know how high I'd need to go. I wouldn't fancy a 12 or 18 foot one, especially when it's windy. I wonder if it could be something to do with the Howard School buildings partially blocking the Bluebell signals.

You will need line-of-sight to the transmitter to get the best reception - any intervening building (esp close to you) will cause a problem.

We live in a barn conversion on mother-in-law's farm and our aerial points to Winter Hill some 20+ miles away - but clearly visible due to elevation. We have a multipoint amp/distribution system and have never had any problems. So... I fitted the same aerial brand/type (with aerial booster amp) onto my m-i-l's house only to find appaling reception. This was caused (mostly) by the roof of our house just getting in the way - so I moved the aerial to the edge of her house to clear our roof. That fixed the problem and she is more than happy. We are due to go all digital at the end of next year - so it needs to work Laughing

I wouldn't recomend a very tall mast - the forces when you get a strong wind will cause all sorts of problems with the mounting and test the structural integrity of your chimney / brickwork.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked again on the Freeview site and was greeted with.
Quote:
ME87BJ

Unfortunately, you won't be able to receive any Freeview channels now, or after your region has switched to digital TV.

The default was the Dover transmitter, I then checked the Bluebell Hill one with the same result. Tried the other four in the list, just in case, but no luck there, so thats me like a turkey just before Christmas, well and truly.......
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info - i'll try cover most of the points!

yes, we have correct aerial - got a brand new one installed august 2006 by professional company when we moved to freeview after dropping cable.

it's the entire muxA that causes issues not just channel 5, when i mentioned channel 5 i meant the mux that includes ch5 as opposed to just that channel.

dennis - mux = multiplex. there are 5 freeview 'channels' (known as a multiplex) and each multiplex contains between 5 and 15 individual channels.

for those with no freeview, have you tried looking at freesat from sky? a very basic sky package with freeview channels plus quite a few more - just pay a set up fee for the sky box for about £100 if i remember correctly. no monthly subscriptions.

i've no idea if the tv is also boosting the signal but the dvd recorder (with freeview) has no problems with the same signal so it may be the tv boosting it - i believe too strong signal is as bad as too weak?

MaFt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i've no idea if the tv is also boosting the signal but the dvd recorder (with freeview) has no problems with the same signal so it may be the tv boosting it - i believe too strong signal is as bad as too weak?
Have you tried putting the aerial feed into the DVD Recorder and then the co-ax output from that, which usually goes via a Post-Amp, to the TV?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
MaFt wrote:
Have you tried putting the aerial feed into the DVD Recorder and then the co-ax output from that, which usually goes via a Post-Amp, to the TV?

that's how i have it at the moment... i could fix it really easily by getting another cheapy asda freeview box but i'm stubborn and dont want to have an extra box when my tv already has it! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you plug the aerial feed co-ax directly into the TV? Is there an improvement?

It could be the Post Amp is doing too much, or it might be faulty. Shocked

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also did it before i got the dvd-recorder...

it's a cheap daewoo tv so maybe if it's not resolved by the 2011 switch over then i'll buy a nice new one ;)

MaFt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
if it's not resolved by the 2011 switch over then i'll buy a nice new one ;)
Best excuse/reason I've heard in a long time. Laughing

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New car, wants new TV - he'll want paying next Rolling Eyes

Perhaps another way around this problem would be to buy a digital recorder (PVR), which ought to boost the signal in the same way as your DVD recorder. This will allow you to pause TV, record one channel whilst watching another, record two different channels simultaneously.

There's a 500GB model - £149.99 from Argos

However, Freesat has more channels available and you should be guaranteed good reception. Freesat HD boxes are due to be released later this year.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps another way around this problem would be to buy a digital recorder (PVR)

I dont think this will actually solve this problem, as said earlier I have the same problem using a PVR, freeview keeps breaking up on mine although absolutely fine on three other cheapy set top boxes, I have changed aerial three times and fitted 6 way amplifier/splitter adjacent to Aerial in loft and cannot cure, But having said that I would thorougly recommend a PVR, but make sure its twin tuner, at the moment you can watch one prog on the Analogue TV whilst recording 2 others on different channels on the PVR or record one Freeview whilst watching another freeview, it will certainly change your viewing habits, i usually have a load of films recorded which i never have time to watch and at the moment it is being utilised to record the earlier morning kids cartoons for the grandkids, I am not an early riser.[/i]
WLMOATE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an antenna amplfier at the TV is quite pointless due to the signal loss has already occured due to the lenght of coax etc . Antenna amps should be fitted at the antenna head.

For people with poor reception have you had the correct band natenna fitted for your region. A lot of installers say they are proffesional but just buy wideband antennas which work but don't give the best results in poor signal strength areas .

Coax is another major issue for poor signal strength as a already weak signal from the antenna can be lost sent over any lenght of coax . The brown or white coax sold by popular DIY stores is sub standard.

For details of approved antennas/coax and installers check here www.cai.org.uk

MY-SOS, Benefon TWIG, DriveSmart, Wayfinder
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne,

the installers were definitely cai approved! that was one thing i checked before booking anyone!

we live on top of a hill with a pretty clear view of emley moor mast so i doubt it is a signal issue in my case. the fact that the old el-cheapo asda freeview box as well as jvc dvd-recorder have perfect freeview reception confirms this.

i think i'm starting to go down the 'not very good receiver in the telly' theory... such a shame really, i don't want a new telly..! ;)

MaFt
WLMOATE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be the case a lot of people think all recievers are born equal, which is not the case hence the difference.

Just going out on a limb your issue isn't caused by excessive signal strength? Have you tried an attenuator?

MY-SOS, Benefon TWIG, DriveSmart, Wayfinder
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLMOATE wrote:
That could be the case a lot of people think all recievers are born equal, which is not the case hence the difference.

Just going out on a limb your issue isn't caused by excessive signal strength? Have you tried an attenuator?

it could be actually... where would i get one from? and what sort of price are they? if maplin sell one i can always return it after a few days if it doesn't work ;D

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: