Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Freeview signal help needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeview signal help needed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Freeview signal help needed Reply with quote

(Topic split by Rob from: Announcement: Non SatNav General Technical Help)

right, i'll start...!

my main tv at home has freeview built in. the only issue i've had is that the signal does not seem to be as strong as with a stand-alone set-top box.

in general it's fine (we got a proper aerial fit a couple of years ago) but 2 multiplexes from Emley Moore we have problems with...

on an evening (and sometimes around 9.30am) MuxA (channel five etc) tends to lose it's signal. this can last anywhere between 1 and 20 minutes. luckily we still have analogue which i can switch to temporarily.

the 2nd 'problem' is that Mux1 (BBC) is pretty much unusable from Emley Moore (but all the other Mux's are fine!) and we end up getting our signal from a transmitter in lincolnshire - this is fine until you get the 'local' news etc for a totally different region...

so, my question is, on the switch over the broadcast signal strength's will increase AND the frequency's will be changed - is this likely to 'fix' my issues? i.e. are the issues i face because the frequency's used are not optimised (as the analogue ones are using the best ones at the moment)? and why are some Mux's from the same mast not as good signal?

MaFt
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Non SatNav General Technical Help (Trial) Reply with quote

MaFt!!!!

RobBrady wrote:
Do you have a technical, non-satnav question that you'd like to pose? If so, start a new topic and post it here!

Rolling Eyes Stop it!
Samsung Galaxy S21
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Non SatNav General Technical Help (Trial) Reply with quote

ANita, I read this part:

RobBrady wrote:
Do you have a technical, non-satnav question that you'd like to pose? If so, start a new topic and post it here!

:D

MaFt
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeview signal help needed Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
my main tv at home has freeview built in. the only issue i've had is that the signal does not seem to be as strong as with a stand-alone set-top box.

That surprised me as it is often the opposite way around. Is the inbuilt reception booster boosting?

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a random Bradford postcode in the DigitalUK postcode checker shows that Emley Moor is not running at full strength at present on digital so you could get some problems with reception. You may be in a better line-of-sight so may have better readings than the 50-80% it's showing.

Does QVC and FiveUS have problems at the same time as C5 - they're all on mux A? It could be that it has a different compression that makes it more prone to errors.

I take it you have the proper aerial installed to get the right UHF channels. Mux 1 (BBC1/2/3 is on UHF52 which is higher than all the others so if your aerial is group B it's marginal (group B gives UHF 35-53).

In 2011, it will run at full strength using most of the old analogue frequencies so you should be fine then.
Brodit ProClip mount
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so, my question is, on the switch over the broadcast signal strength's will increase AND the frequency's will be changed
I wouldn't bank on it MaFt. I checked on their site for where I live in Medway, terrible reception on normal aerial and no freeview. I assumed everything would be OK once the changeover is made but found they have no intention of increasing the signal strength or adding a mast to allow us Freeview. Our choice will be Sky or Virgin.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In 2011, it will run at full strength using most of the old analogue frequencies so you should be fine then.
Maybe I'd better re-check. Hopefully I'll be lucky.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
so, my question is, on the switch over the broadcast signal strength's will increase AND the frequency's will be changed
I wouldn't bank on it MaFt. I checked on their site for where I live in Medway, terrible reception on normal aerial and no freeview. I assumed everything would be OK once the changeover is made but found they have no intention of increasing the signal strength or adding a mast to allow us Freeview. Our choice will be Sky or Virgin.

Where abouts in Medway do you live because I get perfect Freeview reception from Bluebell Hill.

theripper
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a Mux? Is it something to do with "Where there's Mux, there's brass (or money)"?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where abouts in Medway do you live because I get perfect Freeview reception from Bluebell Hill.
ME8 7BJ. Can get channels 1 to 4 with lots of snow and no channel 5. A few years back a mate in the aerial business put up a, if I can remember rightly, a twin 18 element aerial which improved things slightly. Speaking to neighbours they all have the same problem. There was talk, some years back, about having another mast put up in the Gravesend area which would solve our problems. Never happened. Even had two aerials at one time, one pointing north'ish which picked up from the Anglia area. Also tried the Dover transmitter, which wasn't too bad except in summer when we received signals which appeared to come from France, Germany and Belgium and as some frequencies were almost the same, our normal channels broke up. Our main problem is the North Downs which blocks the main signal from Maidstone. Evidently no problems at Farthing Corner, Parkwood or Wigmore.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
channels 1 to 4 with lots of snow

Me too in '06. Imagine my embarrassment when the TV engineer informed me I was watching the Turin Winter Olympics.

Sorry couldn't resist it, I've got me coat Embarassed
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of help, but I have the same problem on my HDD twin freeview reciever keeps dropping signal on any freeview channel, ok for first year then started dropping signal, surprisingly it never drops signal when recording programs sometimes two at the same time, I also have 3 set top boxes which never drop signal at all, I am on Sutton Coldfield Transmitter. Its going to be annoying if I have to wait till 2011 to find i have no improvement.i have changed aerial 3 times up to now with no improvement.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
ME8 7BJ. Can get channels 1 to 4 with lots of snow and no channel 5. A few years back a mate in the aerial business put up a, if I can remember rightly, a twin 18 element aerial which improved things slightly. Speaking to neighbours they all have the same problem. There was talk, some years back, about having another mast put up in the Gravesend area which would solve our problems. Never happened. Even had two aerials at one time, one pointing north'ish which picked up from the Anglia area. Also tried the Dover transmitter, which wasn't too bad except in summer when we received signals which appeared to come from France, Germany and Belgium and as some frequencies were almost the same, our normal channels broke up. Our main problem is the North Downs which blocks the main signal from Maidstone. Evidently no problems at Farthing Corner, Parkwood or Wigmore.

The north downs should not block the signal from the bluebell hill transmitter which is only 5 miles from you as the crow flies, towards essex the nearest is Sudbury which is 45 miles away. Have you looked at other peoples digi aerials in your road because it might just need an extension pole to raise it up a bit.

theripper
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:

The north downs should not block the signal from the bluebell hill transmitter which is only 5 miles from you as the crow flies on top of the north downs, towards essex the nearest is Sudbury which is 45 miles away. Have you looked at other peoples digi aerials in your road because it might just need an extension pole to raise it up a bit.

theripper
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you looked at other peoples digi aerials in your road because it might just need an extension pole to raise it up a bit.
My pole is about six feet above the chimney pot. It would be interesting to know how high I'd need to go. I wouldn't fancy a 12 or 18 foot one, especially when it's windy. I wonder if it could be something to do with the Howard School buildings partially blocking the Bluebell signals. I'll have to try to find where the Bluebell transmitter is on Google Earth and draw a straight line to my house.

I've just changed over from Sky to a Virgin Media package. I'll give them a year to see if the Internet is better than the BT one.

I suppose I could always set up to Sky again as I've been told I can receive all normal freeview channels without paying a subscription. Told after I had started using Virgin. Sad Only problem with that I'd have to go back to using BT lines for the Internet and for the past two months I've had nothing but aggro with them. (Hence the change).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: