Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No route to Nottingham
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No route to Nottingham
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
OH, Nice!! I tried nav to city centre Nottingham and got No Route Found.

I turned off "Corrections verified by TomTom" and it navigated there.

Ye Gods and little fishes - I only had my own plus TT verified corrections.

That's strange. Probably foolishly I've got all except "Corrections reported by some" selected, and I get a route to Nottingham City Centre fine! Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous! First she wins my prize, then it's a working one, then it gets LMG without so much as a whisper, then it gets app 8.010 just for old times sake, then map v8 out of mere interest. NOW SHE GETS TO NOTTINGHAM when nobody else can and despite having all the mapshare corrections everybody else is scared rigid of downloading. Dear Heaven, how I wish I'd won it. Evil or Very Mad

Does anybody know how a poor whitevanman can get his hands on a European-built GO720 like hers?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says "Made in China" on the bottom, just like yours, Dennis.

I think it just needs a woman's touch! Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis if you ask her nicely, she might let you have it!
Maybe she would swap it for something else, you've got loads to offer. You could sweet talk her, offer her two for one, you never know, she just might be bowled off her feet and in a moment of madness, will accept.
That would make up for all the competitions that you never win. Wink

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want anything Dennis has got to offer, thank you very much! Embarassed
Samsung Galaxy S21
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a woman that knows what she wants. Laughing

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile
jagx400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I know why the problem occurred so the query has been answered but it would be interesting to know why I can navigate via a specific address in the city centre but not when I type in 'city centre'.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagx400 wrote:
A it would be interesting to know why I can navigate via a specific address in the city centre but not when I type in 'city centre'.
Go to Brose map, and the "find" the city centre. If you then zoom in all the way, you should see which street the POI is on and which streets around it have been blocked. It may be that the mapshare is correct and the POI is just badly placed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
[It may be that the mapshare is correct and the POI is just badly placed.

Not necessarily badly placed, just out of date...
I can see this happening more and more often when a road that was defined as the city centre gets pedestrianised.

BUT... once upon a time TomTom could update their own POIs via Mapshare. Then it broke and the feature never reappeared!

If they could get that working again AND get the "Mapshare" people to talk to the "built-in POI" people, all would be solved.

Or am I living in Cloud Cuckoo Land?

Laughing
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All they really need to do is change the way it decides it's reached the destination. If POIs are on blocked roads, it will work out the route fine. Even when they are in the middle of a field, it will get as close as possible. Confused

Most of the time, if you just want to get to a city, getting to within a mile would be regarded as OK - eg get to the ring road/bypass etc.
Brodit ProClip mount
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to navigate to Nottingham once but after a sharp intake of breath Jane said "You don't want to go there". Pistol Shoot Out
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to navigate from Newcastle upon Tyne to Nottingham city centre, and indeed i get no route found. Upon 'viewing' the city centre destination i can see that it is taking me to 'upper parliament street' which is blocked off in both east and west directions! I have v7.20 maps as per my sig below.

iPhone 12
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Just tried to navigate from Newcastle upon Tyne to Nottingham city centre, and indeed i get no route found. Upon 'viewing' the city centre destination i can see that it is taking me to 'upper parliament street' which is blocked off in both east and west directions! I have v7.20 maps as per my sig below.

2:52hrs - 160M from Newcastle upon Tyne to Nottingham city centre using v8 maps on a TT520 with map corrections on.
NA 2GB v8.45
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Hoppy, if i turn all my mapshare trust settings to unchecked, it plans the route fine. 3:02hrs and 175miles from Newcastle to Nottingham. Obviously the roadblock in question hasnt made it to your device yet via mapshare.

iPhone 12
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Dennis it was really worth the wait !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Quote:

I have just tried to plan a route from Home, to Brighton City Centre and I got no route available.

Discussion Thread

Dear Mr59,
The pre-determined city center for Brighton within the map data is on a one-way street which can't be accessed by a motor vehcile; therefore, no route can be planned. This does not mean that there is a fault with your TomTom device; however, if the roads in the city center are incorrect then you will need to report this map error to our map provider via the TomTom website.
TomTom always attempts to provide the best quality to its customers. We therefore find it very important that you inform us about this and we will most definitely work with the information you supply.
TomTom and its map suppliers are dependent on local authorities and other organisations in the whole of Europe to obtain correct map data. These organisations provide TomTom and its map suppliers with the most recent information about millions of roads and streets.
On average, 5 % of the European road network changes at any given time. Our map suppliers have hundreds of persons in their employment who drive through Europe and analyse satellite images to register and implement these changes. This process takes up a lot of time and is challenging from a logistics point of view. There are but a few map suppliers in the world that offer good and qualitative digital map information.
The digital map data market is growing quickly. Thousands of kilometres of roads are being added each year as well as the information regarding the 5% of roads that change. The coverage of the map data, however, is more than 99% in most countries in Western Europe. Exceptions are, of course, possible, but the digital map information that is used by TomTom is the best data that is available on the market.
Our maps have a version number and a date. The date refers to the moment all changes are to be implemented that have been found up to this moment.
Once the changes have been implemented, the map data is compressed by TomTom to ensure it fits on an SD map. This complex process involving millions of changes and the compression of the data takes up time, which means that the maps will always be a few months' old when purchased by consumers.
Thanks to the unique compression process of TomTom and the quality of the software in combination with the map data, TomTom can now supply all countries/regions in combination with the main European roads. This means that our customers can navigate on a street level in the purchased region or country and have the option of navigating to another city in Europe without changing maps.
As already mentioned, we greatly appreciate being informed about errors in our map data through our website. We send these notifications to our map suppliers. They will deal with these notifications. This will mean in many cases that the relevant location will have to be visited to verify the error on site. We attempt to provide our customers with the best possible information in this quickly growing market segment thus ensuring we meet the high standard that we have set for ourselves.

• Follow the steps given below to make us aware of map errors:

1. Go to our web page www.tomtom.com and log in using your e-mail address and password.
2. Click "Support" at the top of the window.
3. Next, click "Report Map Feedback" in My Account.
4. Fill in the data in the form and, next, click "Submit".

Now you will have reported the map error and we will ensure that an investigation is started.
With our latest version 7 maps, it has the Mapshare feature, where users can correct minor map errors, such as incorrect or missing street names, or streets that have been blocked, or that the traffic flow has changed. Obviously this relies on other users reporting this information to us.
If you have a version 7 map with the mapshare feature on your device, and the latest mapshare updates did not correct your issue, then you can correct this map error.

1. Tap onto map Corrections - Correct a Map Error
2. Select the option you need and make the map correction.

Many thanks for your feedback. Please do not hesitate in contacting us should you have more questions or suggestions.

With Best Regards
TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Tom59) 19/08/2008 03.14 PM
Sorry, but I cannot report this map error! I have never been to Brighton, so I won't know if there is an error or not.
Now that TomTom are aware of it, can you not report it on my behalf please?

Response (Brennan T. (UK)) 19/08/2008 03.16 PM

Dear Mr 59,
In order to report this challenge then our map provider requires details from your TomTom device. You can navigate to a locate in Brighton; however, you will not be able to navigate to the City Center.
Is there any other problems on or with your TomTom device?

With Best Regards
The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Tom59) 20/08/2008 12.42 AM
Hello Brennan,
I believe that Tele-Atlas are owned by TomTom. You work for TomTom. You know where the error is. This link http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php takes you to a Tele-Atlas error reporting page.
Can you put the correct location in it please as you already know where it is. I repeat, I have never been to Brighton ever in my life, so how am I supposed to find the error, especially when my TomTom tells me that there is no route available and leaves me with a blank screen? Maybe I could browse the route on my map...no, that won't work as I wasn't given a route. So I find a map of Brighton and just report any random one way street somewhere near the centre? No wonder people complain about TomTom customer service! If you apply a little logic and common sense, you will see how ridiculous your instructions are.

Sorry about the length of this one, but they really piggin' wind me up. Stop it! Stupid

TT iPhone app

TT iOS Go Mobile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: