Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Correct a Map, Then Win It!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct a Map, Then Win It!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
it would be cheaper to send someone to look at it

Remember, you heard it here first - I claim first chance at the job!
DennisN wrote:
all they need is some nice cooperative whitevanman, or almostAudimetallicsilvervanman (to whom they'll pay a very large small fortune) to go look and then come back to say "Correct, no roundabout". There must be loads of that type of correction which don't need the heavy handed technobus. Could keep a vanman gainfully occupied for quite some time. Maybe somebody could tell them (and give them a hint as to where they might find a vanman of calibre and handsome). Razz

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
even if you know the date of an aerial photo what use is it for new submissions after that date? you cannot be certain unless you constantly buy updated photo's to validate - by which time it would be cheaper to send someone to look at it...!

Well perhaps I didn't give good examples, but if 5 people write in and say "this T junction was upgraded to a roundabout about 4 years ago" and they look at 1 year old aerial photo and see a shiny new roundabout there, they can probably just whack it in without sending out a white-van-man.

Eg, numerous times I've reported this roundabout upgrade. You can clearly see the roundabout being built . On Navteq data, it's now a roundabout, but in Tele Atlas data, it's still a T junction.

My point is, currently they're not doing anything, and trusting several independent reports is better than simply leaving the mistake in the data for all eternity, which is what they're doing currently.

If they wanted to be clever, I suspect it's possible to verify it's a roundabout using recently recorded GPS tracks from satnav users. The car drivers will drive round a roundabout very differently to how they would use a T-junction. Overlay the GPS tracks for 10-20 cars and you will easily see if it's a roundabout or not (especially now SA is off). The same goes for new, moved or upgraded roads and junctions. You can make a very accurate measurement about where a road is by averaging 10+ vehicle logs. If you discard the outliers, this will undoubtedly be far more accurate than driving a Tele Atlas van down the same road ONCE.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:

If they wanted to be clever, I suspect it's possible to verify it's a roundabout using recently recorded GPS tracks from satnav users. The car drivers will drive round a roundabout very differently to how they would use a T-junction.

I think that it is very unlikely that TomTom (can) collect that sort of data, due to the memory it would take to store it and the processing power required to make later use of it.

What TT collect is a list of the road segments that have been traversed and the time taken. That only requires a few numbers to be stored per mile, and can be directly applied to a road database.

I imagine that a future generation of mapshare will allow roads and roundabouts to be added and directly shared. There is no magic involved, but the algorithm for stitching the map back together around the change would be interesting.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
I think that it is very unlikely that TomTom (can) collect that sort of data, due to the memory it would take to store it and the processing power required to make later use of it.

I agree, but it wouldn't need to send back your entire journey. It would only need to log/send the data when if it notices a mistake - eg it finds you driving through what it thinks is a field at 70mph. If they tied it in with mapshare, they could even 'flag' areas which need logging through the mapshare system itself (sending out a request to log the area to all mapshare users). Within a few days of flagging the area, TomTom could collect dozens of GPS logs in just the area surrounding the problem (eg a new/changed junction or upgraded road) and all the other unflagged roads it already knows about would be ignored. This would mean that the upload size is tiny - just a few kilobytes per user.

There certainly isn't a problem with storing this data - most TomToms have hundreds of MB free. Mine has over a gigabyte of spare capacity. In general, GPS logs are VERY small - a day's worth of logs is smaller than a normal photo from a digital camera - and we think nothing of uploading dozens of pictures to the web.

Obviously this system would have to be opt-in to keep the privacy zealots happy... but I'd gladly enable it if it means we all get better maps and I suspect most other people would too - especially if the data is returned anonymously.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have again just reported map changes to teleatlas for the 6th time in 3 years, these changes were done 5 yrs ago and are major, look at going down Shakespeare street in central Loughborough at the end turn right and you go straight thru the virgin store, turn left and you go thru the middle of Marks and Spencers store and then a couple of Office blocks, in the same area turn left into Biggin street and and you clear up quite a few people sitting on the seats in a pedestrianised area that is after mounting the curb, all this after 5 yrs, just have a look on the Hybrid map on this site which shows the current Teleatlas map, also repeatadly reported wrong road name next my home built 10 yrs, ago although I enter my email address i have never yet recieved a response,
Any way at least you people with Mapshare get a choice of incorrect information what about us with PDAs still stuck with V675 even updating gives the same maps.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it that my attempts since January this year of submitting Map Share updates regarding the Forth Road Bridge no longer being a Toll Road/Bridge will be fruitless Rolling Eyes
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who Knows, Things may be changing, I actually recieved yesterday for the first time 2 acknowledgement emails, these are all direct changes reported to Teleatlas so I wouldnt know about Mapshare, being a PDA and TTN6 owner we do not have that Dubious honour of being part of that Club?
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had the acknowledgement emails... but nothing has ever happened about the reported problems.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you suggest that I should send updates of this nature to Tele Atlas direct as well as Map Share.

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think that the best course of action would be to send them to the Main source which would benefit all Natsav Manufactures/Users but then we dont know what TomToms plans are for Teleatlas are now that they own them????
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VAN MAN ROOLS?

Where in Holland does he live?

The whole thing is a scam.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lillyelse wrote:
VAN MAN ROOLS?

Where in Holland does he live?

The whole thing is a scam.

I would suggest that he lives in the area of Holland where there are no map errors at all because everything in the garden is rosy. Laughing

theripper
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are errors in the area of Weston-super-Mare now. Because this morning like a fool I thought I'd correct the speed limits for the approach to town from Churchill and Banwell, A368 and A371. So anybody who's bothered about them now having 49mph, 39mph, 29mph etc can blame me. Sorry. Embarassed

Unless somebody can tell me how to delete the corrections I have stored somewhere in my GO920T ready to share with you all?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try deleting "MapUserPatch.dat"

The sledgehammer method is:
In HOME go to Tools / TomTom Map Share / Remove corrections I have made myself.
But this will remove ALL map corrections you have made so far, unless they have been "approved and sent back to you again..
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Andy, deleted that. Who cares about mapshare corrections anyway? I wish I could delete those corrections I've seen today in my travels - all the 29, 39, 49 etc speed limits. Ridiculous.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: