Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Correct a Map, Then Win It!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct a Map, Then Win It!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
In fact, using my example again, you can see in the live.com aerial photos that the road (Parchment St) is clearly one way in the northbound direction from the arrows painted on the road you can see in the aerial pics. They have no excuses!

Looking at my v8 map, Parchment Street (and I don't subscribe to MapShare) is correctly indicated as One Way in a NNE direction.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Quote:
Edit DennisN to tidy the link.

Sorry - I was being lazy! I hadn't realised that with the BBCode syntax, you can have different link text. You'd think as a professional web developer that I'd have noticed that HTML is permitted in the posts, so I don't know why I'm using BBCode anyway!

D'yer know, I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about! It just was too long to fit, so I altered it to the only way I know how - I have no idea how it works - MikeAlder or one of the other gurus showed me how to write it and I daren't do it any other way in case the magic spider doesn't do it right! Shocked

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Looking at my v8 map, Parchment Street (and I don't subscribe to MapShare) is correctly indicated as One Way in a NNE direction.

Great - but I strongly suspect it's picking that up via MapShare rather than because the change has actually been implemented in the Tele Atlas map. I bet if you turned off MapShare, the arrows would point the other way... Sad

In fact you'll probably find it's MY mapshare correction that you're looking at because it hadn't been corrected until I got my hands on it Smile

TomTom are heroically trying to sort out Tele Atlas's crap data. I must admit that having MapShare has made quite a lot of difference to the accuracy of the TomTom - no thanks to Tele Atlas. Unfortunately it doesn't help other users of TA data like Google.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Great - but I strongly suspect it's picking that up via MapShare rather than because the change has actually been implemented in the Tele Atlas map. I bet if you turned off MapShare, the arrows would point the other way... Sad
Give that man a coconut. He's right.

NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how it's wrong on Google and on Tele Atlas's own website! (on which I've reported this error about 4 times now in the last few years)

Anyway - this was just ONE little example. There are LOADS of errors I've reported that haven't been fixed yet - despite reporting them several times each.

EDIT: Darren: Just realised you said you "don't subscribe to mapshare". In which case TomTom must be permanently applying the mapshare fixes to their base maps so the fixes take effect even when mapshare is not in use?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
I don't see why they need to send anyone out at all. Most of the time you can SEE there's no roundabout by just looking at aerial photos on the web.

Best not to trust those... they can be several years out of date too.

Quote:
If more than 2-3 people report the same problem, it should go straight through without any further verification.

Dangerous? Open to abuse?

Quote:
I wonder if TomTom send the MapShare corrections back to Tele Atlas?

Up to now they HAVEN'T.
I only know that because when the purchase of Tele Atlas by TomTom finally went through, TT's chief exec (I think it was him) said "we will now start feeding our MapShare info back into the TeleAtlas system". That went directly against what they had said in press releases when MapShare was launched. They said then that the customers' corrections would get incorporated in new maps straight away.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
EDIT: Darren: Just realised you said you "don't subscribe to mapshare". In which case TomTom must be permanently applying the mapshare fixes to their base maps so the fixes take effect even when mapshare is not in use?
I awarded you the coconut because my v8.010 UK & ROI map shows it northbound, but when I turned off Mapshare corrections, it went back to southbound.

NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Yes, but when purchasing the aerial photography, they will be given the exact date the photo was taken. It's still a worthy source of information as often it's obvious whether the photo or the map data is correct (eg, you would never convert a 4 lane motorway back to a 2 lane dual carriageway. You're also unlikely to convert a large roundabout back into a simple T junction.

Quote:
Dangerous? Open to abuse?

OK - call it 10 people. It works pretty well in MapShare. I don't see any problems with this system. Especially if all the reporting parties are separate individuals with their own device.

Quote:
TT's chief exec (I think it was him) said "we will now start feeding our MapShare info back into the TeleAtlas system

I'm really hoping the aquisition will help the Tele Atlas data.. I think this can only be a good thing. I think TomTom have a much greater incentive to quickly fix their data than Tele Atlas do (hence their innovative MapShare).

I'm also hoping that TomTom can anonymously collect data when several people drive down an unknown new road and can use this GPS log to add new roads to the map without having to survey them manually. The road name can be collected through MapShare later. This would help smaller roads in residental or rural areas more quickly get added to the maps (even if they are unnamed or initially appear as private or unpaved roads until they have been verified). They must have already been collecting data like this to produce the IQ Routes feature.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I awarded you the coconut because my v8.010 UK & ROI map shows it northbound, but when I turned off Mapshare corrections, it went back to southbound.

OK I'm a little confused. If you and Darren are both using the V8 map, and he claims he's NOT using Mapshare , then how come he's seeing a fixed version when you're not (when mapshare is disabled)?

I'm guessing he's mistaken about whether he's actually using Mapshare or not and has perhaps inadvertently enabled it? Darren?
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:

For example, in Winchester they reversed the one-way directions of two streets about 6 years ago, and I've been trying to get it corrected for this entire time - submitting reports to Tele Atlas and TomTom. By default, the new maps still ship with with the one-way direction incorrectly specified (although I'm now one map revision behind on my TomTom). (Eg Parchment Street is now northbound).

But to use your example, Parchment street IS correct if you are using v805 maps with mapshare (but wrong if you disable mapshare).

So this, I think demonstrates that Mapshare is worthwhile.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
But to use your example, Parchment street IS correct if you are using v805 maps with mapshare (but wrong if you disable mapshare).

So this, I think demonstrates that Mapshare is worthwhile.

Try THIS THREAD.

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed the apparent contradiction is effectiveness of having Mapshares activated.

So, what is the right answer? Or, is there a right answer?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
OK I'm a little confused. If you and Darren are both using the V8 map, and he claims he's NOT using Mapshare , then how come he's seeing a fixed version when you're not (when mapshare is disabled)?

I'm guessing he's mistaken about whether he's actually using Mapshare or not and has perhaps inadvertently enabled it? Darren?

My mistake, apologies Embarassed The device I used for the screen-shot is one that had MapShare activated on. Disabling this or checking my other devices shoes the incorrect road priority.
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: mapshare non updates Reply with quote

I have reported a new roundabout just outside Darlington 6 times in the last few months and it has never been put on the maps so waste of time submitting changes.
Duncan
Rolling Eyes

go 1005
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Yes, but when purchasing the aerial photography, they will be given the exact date the photo was taken. It's still a worthy source of information as often it's obvious whether the photo or the map data is correct (eg, you would never convert a 4 lane motorway back to a 2 lane dual carriageway. You're also unlikely to convert a large roundabout back into a simple T junction.

manchester road in bradford used to have a big roundabout a few years back. this was then degraded to a big mega cross-roads with stupid lanes where you turn off left in order to turn right...

it happens...! and even if you know the date of an aerial photo what use is it for new submissions after that date? you cannot be certain unless you constantly buy updated photo's to validate - by which time it would be cheaper to send someone to look at it...!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: