Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Correct a Map, Then Win It!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct a Map, Then Win It!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Correct a Map, Then Win It! Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSick and tired of submitting over 3 million MapShare corrections? Well, now's your chance to get something back from TomTom! They have just announced a new competition called Change Spotting whereby anyone submitting or using a MapShare correction between now and 23rd September 2008 will be entered in to a weekly draw to win prizes such as their top of the range Go930 or new map downloads. There will also be a grand prize draw at the end of the period where the lucky winner will receive a luxury weekend for two in Amsterdam - the real TomTom Home.

Official Press Release:
Quote:
Change Spotting: TomTom Map Share(tm) competition offers free maps, TomTom devices and trip to Amsterdam

6 August 2008 - TomTom, the world's leading navigation solutions provider, has launched an international online campaign called 'Change Spotting' in 16 European countries*. Users of TomTom navigation devices can submit map improvements via its Map Share facility, with the chance of winning a number of prizes, including a trip to TomTom's home city, Amsterdam.

To date, more than three million unique map improvements have been uploaded since the launch of Map Share one year ago, and the campaign aims to increase this even further.

Any TomTom device owner who submits a correction via Map Share between now and 23 September 2008 stands a chance of winning one of several weekly prizes: these include new map downloads and TomTom GO 930 car navigation devices.

In addition, participants be entered into the grand prize draw at the end of the campaign - and one winner will win a luxury weekend for two people to Amsterdam.

Anyone who uses Map Share, by either uploading and/or downloading Map Share corrections, can win. Only valid corrections will be considered. To qualify, users are required to have a TomTom HOME account and must log in to TomTom HOME when using Map Share. Winners are drawn on a weekly basis, and at random.

For more information please visit: http://changespotting.tomtom.com.

Notes to Editors

* Participating countries: UK, Ireland, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last 5 years or so, I must have submitted about 4 or 5 corrections via the TeleAtlas site, TomTom or Mapshare. Not a single one of them has actually been incorporated into the base maps (although obviously if you're using MapShare, your changes will work, but there's only a limited type of corrections you can make via Mapshare at the moment). They're not interested in applying the corrections to the actual base maps and this is highlighted when you see how problematic other Tele Atlas map data is from other sources.

For example, in Winchester they reversed the one-way directions of two streets about 6 years ago, and I've been trying to get it corrected for this entire time - submitting reports to Tele Atlas and TomTom. By default, the new maps still ship with with the one-way direction incorrectly specified (although I'm now one map revision behind on my TomTom). (Eg Parchment Street is now northbound).

Even Google is still showing the wrong one-way designation for the affected roads 6 years after the change happened!

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.06396,-1.313059&spn=0.005043,0.009656&z=17

It might be worth submitting changes if you get to win a TomTom, but don't submit changes expecting them to be incorporated in any future maps you buy because they probably won't Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Nick...
What's especially galling in this competition is that you will win a map that you will then have to put the same changes into all over again!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, as usual, we in the 'colonies' don't get to enter the contest ... Crying or Very sad
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked the Tele Atlas "Map Insight" page where you report problems and all of the problems I've been reporting in the last 5-6 years are all still there! Including the incorrect one-way example I've described above!

Unbelievable! They've even got a really patronising video now describing what happens when you report a problem, which is clearly a load of Censored as I've never seen them fix a single problem in the whole time I've been using Tele Atlas map data!

I'm no longer going to waste my time reporting problems in Tele Atlas map data.

Perhaps someone at PGPSW who has contacts at Tele Atlas can ask them why all the corrections are ignored and why so many people on these forums seem to have been reporting the same problems for years and they're still uncorrected.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
And, as usual, we in the 'colonies' don't get to enter the contest ... Crying or Very sad

Well, why do you think we banished you over there in the first place?

My goodness, you'll be asking for TV in your cells next!!

Tell you what, I'll do a correction now and when I win the trip to Amsterdam, I'll send you a postcard.

Right, I've uploaded two corrections. Good ole Home tells me my map hasn't been updated for 5 weeks and there are 3054 Mapshare map corrections available. But although it accepted my corrections, it didn't give me any back. It did, of course shut down my computer voice, then when I disconnected, the 920 rebooted and I'm still trying to stop it from doing that.

BUT IT'LL ALL BE WORTH IT when I get my prize of a weekend in Amsterdam. However, with all this trouble you've caused me, I'll only send you a VERY CHEAP postcard!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
BUT IT'LL ALL BE WORTH IT when I get my prize of a weekend in Amsterdam. However, with all this trouble you've caused me, I'll only send you a VERY CHEAP postcard!

Now you are making me feel very badly, Dennis Embarassed

Can the cheap post card at least be of one of the gorgeous Dutch blondes I remember seeing my one and only time in Holland many years ago? Laughing Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sort of, but her hair will have gone grey or white by now. Sad

I may be going through Holland next year, so I'll try to remember to look out for a fresh one for you.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Perhaps someone at PGPSW who has contacts at Tele Atlas can ask them why all the corrections are ignored and why so many people on these forums seem to have been reporting the same problems for years and they're still uncorrected.

Believe me Nick, we have tried on many occasions and all we get is a 'we'll look at that and get back to you' response. Needless to say they have never come back with an explanation as to why these issues recur time and time again.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if perhaps they only do verifying by those fancy vans? I just submitted a correction saying to delete a roundabout which isn't there. It never has been there and it WASN'T on one of the previous maps. The road hasn't changed, so all they need is some nice cooperative whitevanman, or almostAudimetallicsilvervanman (to whom they'll pay a very large small fortune) to go look and then come back to say "Correct, no roundabout". There must be loads of that type of correction which don't need the heavy handed technobus. Could keep a vanman gainfully occupied for quite some time. Maybe somebody could tell them (and give them a hint as to where they might find a vanman of calibre and handsome). Razz

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd know. I visited my brother-in-law's recently and a mini roundabout has mysteriously appeared on the v8 map where no roundabout has ever existed. It's always been a T-Junction.

I've reported it but you have to wonder how these errors get there in the first place Confused
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why they need to send anyone out at all. Most of the time you can SEE there's no roundabout by just looking at aerial photos on the web.

If more than 2-3 people report the same problem, it should go straight through without any further verification.

I wonder if TomTom send the MapShare corrections back to Tele Atlas?

In fact, using my example again, you can see in the live.com aerial photos that the road (Parchment St) is clearly one way in the northbound direction from the arrows painted on the road you can see in the aerial pics. They have no excuses!

SEE HERE
(note on live.com the arrows are correct anyway as they obviously don't use Tele Atlas!).

Edit DennisN to tidy the link.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:

(note on live.com the arrows are correct anyway as they obviously don't use Tele Atlas!).

Good example Nick, I am sure the boys in blue round the corner use common knowledge and not TeleAtlas. Live Maps using Navteq are far more accurate for deliveries I make.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit DennisN to tidy the link.

Sorry - I was being lazy! I hadn't realised that with the BBCode syntax, you can have different link text. You'd think as a professional web developer that I'd have noticed that HTML is permitted in the posts, so I don't know why I'm using BBCode anyway!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
I don't see why they need to send anyone out at all.

It would be nice to keep an almostAudimetallicsilvervanman in gainful employment, though! Twisted Evil

You can also actually see the words NO ENTRY painted on the road where Parchment St meets North Walls.

However, the problem with all these is the age of the aerial shots - last week or some years ago? We simply don't know. For my own house, the 2D, 3D and Birds Eye views are completely different. 2D and 3D show our garden before I had a hard standing built 8 years ago. Bird's Eye shows a blow-up paddling/swimming pool which we last used in 2005.

VAN MAN ROOLS OK?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: