Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT730 - Odd Speed Limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT730 - Odd Speed Limits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: TT730 - Odd Speed Limits Reply with quote

Using the map correction feature, I marked a long local stretch of road as having a 40mph limit, the input being accepted by the machine. When driving down the road, TT showed the limit as 39mph. This is repeated despite attempts to correct the limit.

Certain sections of the M25 around the Reigate area also shown to have odd speed limits.

Is it me?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been well documented elsewhere, but it seems to be caused by a rounding up error in the conversion from km/h to mph.

It's hoped that a software update will rectify this, but we're at the mercy of TomTom.

The curious speed limits around the M25 have probably been caused by somebody submitting a MapShare correction for roadworks or something whilst MapShare should only be used for permanent changes

Last edited by GPS_fan on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not your fault, this is a known bug within the software that seems to affect the UK more than the USA (even though both countries use MPH) - it is something to do with rounding errors IIRC

I have given up using this feature until they fix it, all you are doing in using it at the moment is degrading your map data through no fault of your own - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not you. It's a bug/limitation of the Mapshare system.
The limits seem to be stored in km/h and then converted on the fly if you are using MPH.
The numbers get rounded up and down to give these wrong results.
It's been discussed on this forum a few times, and TomTom have been made aware of it, but whether anything gets done, who knows?
Meanwhile, more and more parts of the map are being corrupted by wrong speeds!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, three replies (all broadly in agreement)in two minutes!

Don't forget you can decide exactly which type of corrections you want to use and ignore the rest.

Set it up in Change preferences/Map corrections / Correction preferences.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It is not your fault, this is a known bug within the software that seems to affect the UK more than the USA (even though both countries use MPH) - it is something to do with rounding errors IIRC

No, many posters in the US forums (fora?) are complaining about the same thing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a member of these US based forums can you tell them not to complain on a forum, please complain to TomTom - if enough of us using imperial measurements on the device complain they might do something to fix the issue - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you are a member of these US based forums can you tell them not to complain on a forum, please complain to TomTom - if enough of us using imperial measurements on the device complain they might do something to fix the issue - Mike

I do tell them to complain to TT all the time ... and some do as they post TT's pithy email replies.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got a decent reply from TomTom about THIS issue yet?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be simple enough to rectify because it only needs rounding up to the nearest 10 (or maybe 5 to allow for 5mph increments).

This is the kind of fundamental flaw which should really be ironed out in alpha or beta testing.
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks for Comments Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
It should be simple enough to rectify because it only needs rounding up to the nearest 10 (or maybe 5 to allow for 5mph increments).

This is the kind of fundamental flaw which should really be ironed out in alpha or beta testing.

Well reassured it's not me after all and waiting to find out if the local Safety Camera Partnership also round down (more likely it's up Sad )

Thanks to everyone who commented.
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish it was only a mile or two per hour error, on my trips recently from Jnct 22 on the M25 to the M11 my new TT730T reckons the speed limit is 49MPH Exclamation Crying or Very sad

As soon as I get on the M11 its back to 70mph Smile

This problem only after TT Home decided to 'update' my 730 with incorrect data Crying or Very sad
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trapper wrote:
Well, I wish it was only a mile or two per hour error, on my trips recently from Jnct 22 on the M25 to the M11 my new TT730T reckons the speed limit is 49MPH Exclamation Crying or Very sad

Yes, but if somebody has 'corrected' the speed limit to 50 (which is my guess), then it will show as 49.

Using MapShare to correct a speed limit to 60 or 70 seems to both round and display correctly.
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent this to TT:

(After TT Home 'Updated' my new TT730T the M25 jnct 22~27 shows as having a 49mph speed limit whereas before the 'update' it was 70mph.
Would you please advise me how to correct the error caused by your download? I am concerned that the unit may now show a 60mph speed limt where in fact it is a 50mph speed limit and so speed camera risks are very obvious! I could happily be travelling at 57mph and get a summons for speeding!!)
END.

I will see what they have to say, isn't it rather risky letting members of the public change speed limits Question I can see if road works caused a 'temporary' reduction, however the TRUE speed limit is that set by the powers that be and that is the one that should be shown. After all the Motorway network is 70mph unless signs are shown showing a reduction for all to see, so if you are doing 69 after passing the warning 50mph signs you deserve to be caught!

The biggest area's of concern are the A roads, with 40/50/60 limits governed by street lamp spacing and local factors, these are the ones someone unfamiliar with the area could get caught out if the speed limit is 50 and some 'kind soul' changed this to 60.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problems here seem to be:

1) MapShare is supposed to be for permanent changes

2) the mechanism for changing speed limits is somewhat fiddly and incorrect speed limits may be submitted accidentally

Then, of course, there's also the question of corrections being submitted maliciously to avoid people being routed along certain roads.

You do, however, have the option in MapShare Preferences to select only the corrections which you have made yourself and these errors will not be used by your device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: