Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A tale of woe or tomtom no go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A tale of woe or tomtom no go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: A tale of woe or tomtom no go Reply with quote

After nearly 3 months of arguing, TomTom repaired my 920 - swapped the PCB. I think they used an older board as the hands free quality is now horrendous whereas before repair it was amzingly clear. After further argument they reluctantly agreed to test it with the view to a further repair. I told them this was not good enough as it had 2 major repairs - bluetooth module (came back with different fault) then the PCB. We agreed the unit would be sent to Amsterdam to be checked out (they had it for over 4 weeks for the previous fault which the could not find - I had to film the unit displaying the fault) but they could not guarantee a replacement within the 5 weeks before I go on holiday so I now have to use a faulty unit to go into Europe early next month - and TomTom wonder why their customers have no faith in their services. Currently it switches itself off en route and I have to use the reset button to get it working again when it comes back on my route has been cleared. Amazing how many faults you can get with one unit. Previous model was a 700 which had no real problems in 2 years. The X20s are horrendous.
Duncan

go 1005
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: A tale of woe or tomtom no go Reply with quote

dsouter wrote:

The X20s are horrendous.
Duncan

Sounds like you've had a tale of woe with YOUR one, but that's a bit of a generalisation, isn't it?
Had no problems with mine at all...
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops[/b]

go 1005

Last edited by dsouter on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accept it may be a generalisation and maybe I am too fussy when I pay premium prices for what should be premium products.

I spent the extra money on a 920 because the four 720s I had all went back due to various issues. I was told by TomTom the 920 should be ok.

Have used TomToms for quite a few years now and will say when they work, they are the bees knees and worth paying for

go 1005
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second this motion! After seven 720s, my 920 is breaking my heart and whilst it's a lovely piece of kit, I really do wish I had never passed my 700 to the son-in-law. I'm wondering just how to make the approach to get it back and give him my 720 or 920. The 920 and 720 are both great at navigating, and not at all the big lumps on the windscreen, but neither of them is trustworthy for bluetooth phone hands free. The 920 is entirely it's own master where booting and turning itself on are concerned - I'm just a peripheral nuisance! Voice, POI warnings, route, all disappear when it's having a fit. I reckon it's all down to building them in some poorly controlled environment. Some work perfectly, others suffer the blessings of someone's sneezing, a leaky roof, open doors in the heat of summer, you name it. I've got one of the sufferers. I swear that if my first TT (GO300 in 2005) had been as dodgy as these latest models, I'd not be a TomTom customer today. You simply don't hear about these problems with GO x00 and earlier models. Sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dsouter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the worst problems is that telephone support seem to have very poor product knowledge, this improves very little when things are passed up the support line. I actually had a conversation with a supervisor one day and he was very empathetic towards my problems. When I asked to speak to him again 2 days later to add to and update the problem, he was not interested in the slightest and would not accept my call. I have asked in writing on many occasions for details of which Director I can write to but they will not give out that info. I finally got details of a customer service manager but I think a director would be more appropriate. I will maybe get names from the minutes of the last TomTom AGM and write to some of the names from there to try to get satisfaction - unless anyone has details.

Duncan Confused

go 1005

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: