Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Tomtom - I've searched all day and still not sure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Tomtom - I've searched all day and still not sure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
200bhpmx5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Which Tomtom - I've searched all day and still not sure Reply with quote

Hi guys I used to be a member on here a long time ago (when I bought my TomTom One) I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

I've now decided to upgrade as I'm going to Europe and for the cost of the maps I thought I may as well have a new one and give the old one to my wife.

The only other feature I'd like is Itinerary Planning as I like going driving in Wales etc and it takes me some terrible routes so I'd like to be able to select the route.

From searching it seems to me that I either have to buy:

One V2 (as itinery was removed from V3 and V4) but I'd have to buy secondhand and the maps are likely to be old

Or a Go 720

I've found a V3 Europe for £119
and a Go 720 for £180

I really don't need any of the other 720 features and I can't justify £60 extra just for itinerary so is there anything else I've missed ?

I have considered the Garmin 255T but some say the interface and mapping are more awkward than the Tomtom and really I'm very happy with my One V1 except for the two features I 'need'

Your suggestions please.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to put Itinerary planning on a One Third Edition by using version 7 software and running a custom menu, the downside is that you loose some of the newer features such as HelpMe and MapShare.

Otherwise the 720 is probably the best bet as you get full functionality from the device, shop around for the 720 though as they were for sale back at Easter for under £155 - Mike
200bhpmx5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I had seen that thread but didn't read the full 17 pages... it seemed a bit complicated and I was hoping there might be an alternative.

Just noticed the One XL (which I presumed was just a wider screen) has an SD card and B Tooth so does it also have Itinerary ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original One XL certainly does have ITN support and BT, the BT is only there for a data connection though it will not offer hands free for the mobile phone. The newer One XL units I am not too sure about as I have never tried one in anger so to speak as yet.

Putting a custom menu on the device is actually very easy, if you don't fancy creating one I could always send you the TomTom.mnu file to put on the device - Mike
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The original One XL certainly does have ITN support and BT, the BT is only there for a data connection though it will not offer hands free for the mobile phone. The newer One XL units I am not too sure about as I have never tried one in anger so to speak as yet.

Putting a custom menu on the device is actually very easy, if you don't fancy creating one I could always send you the TomTom.mnu file to put on the device - Mike

Any chance of sending me the TomTom.mnu file, Mike. I have been reading up about creating one to enable me to include some of the 3rd party apps on my One XL and the actual .mnu file would be a great help. (http://www.ilpiola.it/roberto/TomTom/navcore8.asp) I have sent a PM with my email address.
To 200bhpmx5:
My one XL running v8 has ITN function. It does not presently have IQ planning, which looks like it could be a very useful feature - currently only on Go 30, but speculation is it (the series 8 maps) may be offered to inferior units (one XL?) after the current map sale finishes. It also does not support a remote, which I would like - if only to stop the wife accusing me of constantly "fiddling with my thing"!

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: