Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - EU Rounderbouts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

EU Rounderbouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: EU Rounderbouts Reply with quote

Hello, I have a TT720 with Western European maps. When driving in France or Spain and approach a rounderbout I get different instructions. Sometimes it is " Right at the rounderbout 2nd exit. Sometimes "Left at the rounderbout 2nd exit" Has anybody else had this problem? Obviously I follow the traffic but I was just wondering why this occures. Any ideas please.
Regards David
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "left" or "right" "straight ahead" is describing the roundabout as if it were a normal crossroads, and giving an idea of the final dirction of travel. It is not telling you to go clockwise or anticlockwise around the roundabout.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

This is no different with the UK ( as far as i can see )

If im at a roundabout, sometimes i get told " At the roundabout, bear right 4th exit "

I dont actually turn right when i first go around it, anymore then you would going left on an EU rounabout.

I think the `Turn Right` part is at your current direction of travel when you approach the Roundabout, not what way to turn around it!

Of course, if your like me and use the WVM voice, i always get told to go striaghtover it Razz

Cheers

MPW
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, this is an approximate guide to how far around the roundabout you need to drive before exiting.

You may not have noticed, but there is also a roundabout icon which appears in the status bar and that also gives you a rough idea of how far around a roundabout your exit is as well as indicating which way to drive around it.

What might be helpful would be to plan a short journey in your local area which includes a roundabout and run a demo route so that you can see exactly what audible instructions you receive as well as what is displayed on the screen.

Here are a few illustrations from the status bar, showing the direction of travel around the roundabout and roughly where to exit:

Quote:
Go left on the roundabout, first exit

Quote:
Cross the roundabout, second exit

Quote:
Go right on the roundabout, third exit

This image gives an idea of the advance warning you may receive:

I hope this is helpful.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice replies guys... Thumbs Up
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bang on the nail GPS, couldnt be clearer
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. I can sleep easy tonight!!!!
Regards David
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think the above explanations cover it pretty well but I have noticed a number of differences in the way the roudabout turn instructions are given depending on which type of voice you select.
As said previously, "Cross the roundabout - second exit" seems to be a favourite with a computer based voice but with some recorded voices, you seem to get a different instruction if I remember - something like ... at the roundabout take the second exit. You don't always seem to get the direction like cross, left or right at the roundabout.

All seem to work fine in UK and Europe in my experience.

Gav Very Happy

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brickie,

The `custom` voices have these parameters...

Rb
Left
Right
Cross
Exit1
Exit2
Exit3
Exit4
Exit5
Exit6

For example, a 1st exit might be,
at the roundabout, bear left, 1st exit.
This would also be the same in the EU, if the 1st exit was all the way around towards the left!

The custom voices can make up anything, and depending on what one you have, the rbleft - rbright might be a clear sound, so all you hear is, at the roundabout, 1st exit.

Cheers

MPW
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MPW,
Thanks for the info, is there anywhere to read up more on the subject of how custom voices are created for TT or is this from your experience ?

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Change references/ Voice Preferences then select "Record Voice" the device will step you through each of the navigation voice prompts it uses (57 in total - Who mentioned Heinz).

You don't have to record anything, but you can if you want to, follow the onscreen advice then step through each of the spoken commands to find out what the device uses - Mike
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different sources of custom voices, some knocking around for a while, and hence quite old. So many sources introduce variability in the actual words chosen (not all amateurs or get rich scammers stick to the rules). There is also the possibility that over time the actual dialogue has changed, so that older custom voices that did conform to the original rules no longer do.....

Try changing voices and doing a route demo and see if the commands differ. Try comparing custom voices with standard TT ones, and comparing different custom voices.
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice, thank you. I will experiment.
David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: