Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO720 disk failure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO720 disk failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clarky1690
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: TomTom GO720 disk failure Reply with quote

Hi
I have a problem with my go720, i get the old red cirlce/white cross problem when i start it up, BUT the big problem is when i collect it to my pc or any pc to run the known fix, it tells me it sees both the internal disk and the SD slot in "my computer" but when i try and format the internal it tells me that "there is no disk in drive E", looks to me like the internal disk is FUBAR Crying or Very sad . Is this easy to replace or does anyone know a fix?

Thanks in advance Wink
clarky1690
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what happens when you try powering on your 720 without the SD card?
clarky1690
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
ive never had an sd card in the unit
cheers
clark
clarky1690
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just tried an sd card in the unit, it doesnt read that either Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does indeed sound like the memory inside the unit has died, how old is the device as it will have a 12 month warranty from new? if it is outside of the warranty period do you have a full backup on the PC.

What you could do (assuming you have a backup) is purchase either a 2GB or 4GB SD card (or SDHC as these work) and copy your entire backup to the memory card, insert the card to the unit and power it up.
The device will boot from the SD card and function quite happily even with a messed up flash memory, I have done exactly this with my One XL as the Flash memory did a disappearing act that Paul Daniels would have been proud of! - Mike
clarky1690
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that! i did wander if it would boot and operate from sd card, excellent. not being very experienced in the satnav game i don't have a backup. so can i just add maps etc to the sd card from the sd card, or is there config files i require?
thanks
clark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it is out of warranty then?

I have just posted a similar response to someone else in a similar position to yourself, but here goes.

1/ Purchase an SD card of the required capacity, 2GB if just UK, 4GB for Wesern Europe, make sure you get a card with a fast read/ write speed the Sandisk Exteme III cards are a safe bet.

2/ Go to Oldboy's web site by clicking Here and download the TomTom Go x20 V7,221 release.
Follow the instructions to install the files to your memory card.

3/ For the HelpMe files you can download them from Here

4/ For the PostCodes to work you can download the required data direct from TomTom by visiting This Page, again unzip the download and put the resultant “zip” folder in to the root directory of your storage card.

5/ If you need some voices they can be obtained free of charge from This Page, note you must be logged in to the TomTom web site to be able to click the download option adjacent to the voice. Unzip the download and place the two files into the “voices” folder in the root directory or your storage, if need be create the “voices” folder before putting the files in to it (note no”” are required).

6/ Next step is to update the software to the latest release using TomTom Home, and use Home to purchase/ download a map, if you don't intend European travel save yourself some cash and just purchase the UK & ROI map.

7/ For the Text To Speech voice files they can be installed to the device from the disk the device was supplied with or downloaded free using TomTom Home.

8/ At this point the device should be up and working, connect it to the PC and perform a full backup to the PC, I would also consider putting your backup on to a DVD just in case the PC dies at some future point.

I hope that helps - Mike
clarky1690
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, i can only thank you! yes its out of warranty by about 2 weeks! i'll give all that a go tonight, and let you know

many thanks again Laughing
Chatel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pcworld told me my 720 had a two year return to tomtom warranty
chas
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatel wrote:
Hi pcworld told me my 720 had a two year return to tomtom warranty
chas

Then they are stupid, the warranty conditions are contained within a folder on the device named "licences" look at the file names, the TomTom Go-x10 range had two year warranties.

"LW-1y-English2007_NO US CAN.DOC"

Para 2 wrote:
WHAT THIS WARRANTY COVERS
1) TomTom International B.V. (“TomTom”) warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in workmanship and materials under normal use (“Defects”) for a period of one (1) year from the date that the Hardware was first purchased by you (“Warranty Period”). During the Warranty Period the Hardware will be repaired or replaced at TomTom’s choice (“Limited Warranty”) without charge to you for either parts or labour. This Limited Warranty covers the replacement of the Hardware only. If the Hardware is repaired after the Warranty Period has expired, the Warranty Period for the repair will expire six (6) months after the date of repair

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: