Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New device - now can't enter a space!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New device - now can't enter a space!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: New device - now can't enter a space! Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been running R66 Navigate 7 on my Windows Mobile 5 phone for some time now and despite its quirks it's been pretty much fine. However, I recently upgraded to a new phone including a built-in GPS reciever (T-Mobile MDA Compact 4) and I have a couple of problems:

1 - When starting R66 it searches for a GPS receiver. Presumably it also automatically powers up the internal receiver, but the first time it always fails to find it. If I hit "Retry" it finds the GPS ok! Is this just a timing issue (R66 powers up the GPS but times out before it's ready)?

2 - I can't upgrade to the latest patched executable because it doesn't work on Windows Mobile 6! I discovered this on my last phone and had to downgrade the OS back to Windows Mobile 5.

3 - The main problem - for some obscure reason, the "space" doesn't work on the on-screen keyboard! This means it's impossible to search for locations - I can't put a space in postcodes so that doesn't work, and I can't put a space between search terms (such as "High Street")!

Has anyone come across these problems, particularly the third one? I haven't bothered to contact R66 support as last time they just said "Supports Windows Mobile 2003 or later" actually means "supports 2003 or 5 only"!

Many thanks,
Tim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the new phone running WM6 or 6,1? Also what is the exact version you are running, it will be 7,xyz

I will try re-loading R66 vs7 to my Artemis later and see if does the same thing, but I don't remember this fault previously. I have since downgraded the Route 66 software to version 8 - yes you did read that correctly I see the new version as a downgrade, with no custom POI support the new version is a waste of time - I am only sharing that with you incase you are considering switching to version 8 - Mike
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. My phone is running Windows Mobile 6.1 (the MDA Compact 4 is a rebranded HTC Touch Diamond), and I'm using R66 as it came out of the box (version 7.0.2091). I haven't tried the last update on this phone because of the problems I had before (albeit on WM 6) and I think it was you that said you'd experienced the same thing.

Thanks for the heads up on version 8! To be honest, I get more and more frustrated with R66 as time goes on. I only really persevere with it because I really like the free traffic updates - I object to paying TomTom or Copilot £40 for 12 or 24 months of data that is freely available! I really want R66 to work on my new phone - otherwise I'll be giving it to my other half to use on my old phone and I'll have to move to TomTom or Copilot and do without the traffic.

Cheers,
Tim
mutley282
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is Version 8 a waste of time with no custom POI support but you also have to pay about £25 a year for traffic updates.

Navigate Version 7 gives you exactly the same traffic information free of charge. Version 8 has a newer map, but it is still over a year old.

I had Mobile 8 running for 1.5 days before my PDA broke. When this was repaired under warranty it had a new mainboard with a different IMEI number. R66 Support asked me to send proof of the old and new IMEI numbers which I have (4 times) but still refuse to activate the copy on the 'new' PDA. About £50 for the application and £25 for the traffic subscription and R66 won't let me use it.

I intend to take this up with VISA as it was their debit card that paid for both the application and the subscription.

Version 7 = one of the best navigation packages available in its day.
Version 8 = forget it.

(before anyone complains I should add "in my opinion" to the above statements.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: