Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - satnavs 'not safe'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

satnavs 'not safe'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: satnavs 'not safe' Reply with quote

hi

does this press release mean us???

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8957875

Ive been the victim of the 26% for sure!
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is you hear all sorts of urban myths about people turning into fields and attempting to take their caravan up a 4 ft wide bridleway. If people are stupid enough to not be able to tell the difference between tarmac and grass they shouldn't even be behind the wheel of a vehicle.

Any satnav device is meant to be an 'aid to navigation' and as such should be treated accordingly. It would appear that some people treat such devices as a compulsory instruction and presumably also believe that 'the computer is always right'.

If their spouse told them to turn off the A38 into a field you know darn well there would be an almighty row but are we to believe that some people seem to blindly obey a computerised voice?

Having said all that, I think the survey was carried out by Direct Line so it may be that these were the excuses used to claim off of their insurance. I guess 'the satnav told me to' can now be added to the list behind "the tree jumped out in front of me" and my personal favourite "I didn't see my neighbour's car because he doesn't usually park it there."
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
Having said all that, I think the survey was carried out by Direct Line so it may be that these were the excuses used to claim off of their insurance. I guess 'the satnav told me to' can now be added to the list behind "the tree jumped out in front of me" and my personal favourite "I didn't see my neighbour's car because he doesn't usually park it there."

A completely neutral and unbiased survey, then.

Every instruction will soon be followed by a lengthy disclaimer - but I doubt even that would prevent some people doing crazy things
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least they acknowledge that:

Quote:
Satnavs are designed to make driving easier and safer. However, they will only do this if you take the time to learn how to properly use a system and understand the benefits of the technology.

Samsung Galaxy S21
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel42
Believe me when I say that I have used a Tomtom (different models) over the last few years and never once has it caused me confusion or placed me into an unsafe situation. In fact I find the device brilliant. I can assure you that driving in London or Paris with a Tomtom is far safer than balancing a map on one’s lap and getting lost at the same time. I have always got to my destination without getting stuck in a farmers field or going up a one way street.

I think that its possible that the survey was carried out in a lunatic asylum.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud here we go again ,how thick can some people get these things are aids and not to be followed to the letter ...I wonder how many people would follow these things if tomtom made a road going off beachy head or the cliff of dover Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
some people will never learn like that lady that turned onto a railway track Rolling Eyes
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the report and I think this proves that there are 3% of drivers who are too stupid to be on the road!! Laughing

theripper
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes It's just like the two articles in the sun yesterday! A Trucker who went to Gibraltar nr skegness instead of nr spain, and the actors who went through a flooded food! If the two drivers had a brain cell it would still be lonely! Don't the press like to build something up just to knock it over! Within two weeks i'd put money on the sun giving away an incredible sat nav! but there wont be any disclaimer saying were not responsible for you driving off the white cliffs of dover!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
I read the report and I think this proves that there are 3% of drivers who are too stupid to be on the road!! Laughing

theripper

Only 3%

I would have thought it should be more like 15-20% Laughing

Lane discipline on multi-lane islands. Like Jasper Carrot used to say, these drivers haven't had an accident, but they've seen thousands.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
theripper wrote:

theripper

Only 3%

I would have thought it should be more like 15-20% Laughing

you are probably closer ,and to think some of those DON'T have sat-nav's either

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: