Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Lidl GPS bundle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Lidl GPS bundle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you cannot source a French mapset for the software package that comes in the Lidl bundle (and there is every chance you will be able to) then if you opted for an alternative solution you would have to buy a full software and maps package.

I would recommend checking with the suppliers, TotalPDA, Global Positioning Systems etc for latest pricing but I'd imagine it to be around the £100 mark.
stuboc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Lidl Bundle Reply with quote

8) Hi Darren

Thanks for your advice, you've been really helpful.

Good luck tomorrow to any-one buying the bundle.

Cheers again, Stuart
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional map sets for Falk navigator:

Austria, Switzerland and South Germany (1st Qrtl. 2004)
South Africa (1st Q. 2004)
France (1st Q. 2004)
Italy (1st Q. 2004)
Spain and Portugal (1st Q. 2004)
Great Britain (1st Q. 2004)
BeNeLux (1st Q. 2004)
Icy8008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparantly the additinal maps are just mentioned on the german website yet, but pricing and name of maps should be universal language ;-)

http://195.226.122.41/tmpl/frameset_0.asp?L=DE&ID=PRV_FALKNAVIGATOR&IE=0&CN=1.1

Regards

Icy
stuboc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Lidl Bundle Reply with quote

8) Cheers for your info.

I have now bought the Lidl GPS package and am charging the unit now.

Like Martin(sprout) I am pleased by first impressions, but also like Martin this is my first PDA unit / SatNav unit.

The PDA is about 1/2" thick and light weight, and the SatNav receiver is smaller than I expected 2 1/2" x 2" x 7/8" and magnetic for roof mounting (though the manual recommends max speed of 62mph and checking of attatchment at regular intervals).

Cheers Stuart
nimrod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: LIDL Package and POIs Reply with quote

Does anyone have a clue as to how I can load POIs into this kit? I am in touch with Falk trying to get information on thier Geoexchange format at the moment.

Nimrod (a complete newbie to GPS but a good few years experience with computers)
nimrod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: OOPs - by way of explanation Reply with quote

To clarify the previous entry, I am talking about POIs in a latitude, longitude, name format (as in the GATSO database) I have already found the additional POIs on the Falk website and know how to upload them, but don't find much use for Youth Hostels in Germany etc Confused

Anyway, if anyone can help with the file conversion conundrum I will be very grateful.

Nimrod[/quote]
smiffie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: falk navigator Lidl package Reply with quote

Read all your comments with interest before purchasing the above. A complete novice to gps and not much better with computers! Your info was a great help. Have used the package today and instead of taking me to my friends street it left me at the entrance to a golfcourse some mile or so from the set destination. Disappointed that there are no road numbers (not that I can see at this time). For long distance trips this is going to prove difficult to follow with a paper map. How have other purchasers fared?
Timehaze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Another newbie here to GPS, though not at all to computers generally. Bought the LIDL Typhoon/MyGuide/Asus package yesterday and impressions so far:

Hardware: Excellent; as good a quality PDA as any I've used before - looks classy and seems well made.

Accessories: Everything you need to get started, and again, all seems to be of good quality.

Software: All the standard Windows PDA stuff is fine and works well. As for Falk Navigator, well, it does the job, but...

In the little testing I've done so far - well yes, it'll navigate you accurately from one place to another. But then that's the least I'd expect. On the other hand I've also come across these problems:

Entering a stop-off point as a postcode is not very accurate, it seems to completely ignore the last two letters or figures. This could put you 1/4 mile from your intended destination. That said, if you give it the exact location of the destination it will get you there just fine.

In route planning mode (i.e. with the GPS not attached) there doesn't seem to be any way of adding more than one stop-off point, despite what the instructions say. The 'Add Stop-off Point' button disappears and there doesn't seem to be any other way to add one. Can anyone tell me how?

In navigation mode, having entered several stop-off points, checking your route using 'Itinerary' will only let you step through the route between the start and the first stop-off point. Haven't found any way to make it show the route it has planned from there onwards. Again, anyone else know how to???

I've yet to find any way of saving routes.

Using 'Select a destination from addresses' option it still defaults to KM for the radius chosen instead of miles, even when miles are selected as the default unit of measurement.

In Navigator 'Settings:Home Address' it had picked up a muddled version of my correct address (I assume from the (non-muddled) PDA owner details). When I tried to correct this it gave the error message "The data you entered are not sufficient" (sic) and left the incorrect data showing. However, later, after I'd shut down and restarted, I noticed it now showed the correct details.

Other than that, the instructions given when driving are very clear, easily audible, if sometimes a little late (if it says 100 yards, assume 50). I've tried entering a few of the newer roads around here and it knows about them, so I assume it's also fairly up-to-date. The Falk helpline was shut today being a bank holiday - I'll be curious what sort of answers they can give me on the points mentioned above.

The GPS seems to work well, I've got the mouse on my dashboard and the longest it's taken to acquire a fix from a totally cold start is about two minutes.

So rating overall at the moment?

Well for the majority of the kit: 90% - excellent, really pleased with it. :D

For the Falk Navigator software: about 65%, but jury's still out. It does the basics quite well enough, but if Falk's helpline, or anyone on here can sort out the points mentioned above I'd feel a lot more happy with it. Confused

Pic below of what you get for anyone who's interested:

Cheers

Jez
Mat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: falk navigator Lidl package Reply with quote

Hi,
I've also found the KM problem - looks like the unit is picking up the locale and ignoring non metric units.

Has anyone come accross the the PC that you've connected the PDA to attempting to connect to a resouce called ISATAP (this happens just after the activesync has started) ?

Is the helpline number for the UK - it starts 00 which is the international dialling code.

Matt
Timehaze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wondered about that dialing code.

00 8 00 isn't listed in BT's list of international codes, so I wonder where / what kind of call it is??? Question
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

00 800 is an international freephone number. I think some operators may still charge for the call though.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timehaze wrote:
Yeah, I wondered about that dialing code.

00 8 00 isn't listed in BT's list of international codes, so I wonder where / what kind of call it is??? Question

It's an International Freephone number.
Dougy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody managed to find one of these in England at either LIDL or Aldi? I've tried my local stores and nobody has heard of it.

Does anybody know of a South Yorkshire store that still has one?

Is it worth buying? Can you get a European map?

Thanks
smiffie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to your question of availablity. Only in Lidl store in London and South East. I bought one in the local store Hadleigh Essex at midday and it was the last one! They only have a few in each store(see earlier comments about this in the forum)

Is it good? Very neat package would be great for someone who works from home and travelling door to door for a living. Wish I had had one whilst I was working. Information on the route planning, as mentioned by more knowledgable visitors, there are a couple of anomolies but in general checking known routes against the return from Falk it is pretty good. Yes you can get European maps, the link to the website is given by the forum earlier. Map&Guide at a cost of about £60.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: