Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MWg Zinc-II
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MWg Zinc-II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: MWg Zinc-II Reply with quote

Up to quite recently the name HTC was little known by users of mobile phones, more recently they have become an established name with a quality product range.

So who are MWg? - Quite new but they also manufacture a range of mobile phones, I decided to try the latest they offer, the Zinc-II as my next mobile device. This is a quick look see at the device and "what’s in the box" I will detail more notes once I have used the device in anger for more than a few hours.

It is a PDA based device running WM6,1 the processor is 500MHz with 256MB ROM and 64MB RAM the battery is a decent capacity at over 1,5AHr
Bluetooth, WiFi, HSDPA are all present as is built in GPS. Screen size is 2,8" QVGA and appears easy to read in what little sunlight we experienced today.

So the box and its contents:

Earphones that connect to the mini USB connector, an adaptor to use the more standard 3,5MM connector is required and not supplied, a USB to PC cable, multi country AC adaptor, user guide and disk which contains a trial version of Outlook 2007 and Active Sync 4,5 Plus the phone and battery.
I also purchased the McGuider software package with the device to see what this can do, my previous trials and tribulations with this software’s predecessor can be found elsewhere in the forum.

"Portrait Mode"

The phone offers portrait/ landscape modes and will auto rotate the display according to the position of the flip out keyboard (sorry for the flash back on the pictures but it is a rather shiny black finish) - one nice touch is the keyboard is fully backlit and has LED indication for the Caps and Fn lock options

"Landscape Mode"

The GPS took around 90 seconds to acquire its first position fix, but subsequent starts have been nearer the 20 second mark which is acceptable. The device feels responsive and has yet another "iFone like" Touch interface known as the "Zinc II Quick Menu" which works quite well in use.

If anyone has any questions specific to the device post here, otherwise I will write up more notes later in the month when I have become more accustomed to the device, after a solid 4 years using the 8 HTC devices I have collected I just thought this unit offered something different and is worth having a look at - time will tell - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: