Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware 3.10 for Nuvi 7xx Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware 3.10 for Nuvi 7xx Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any problem with a new Nuvi 760 just upgraded. I've done a few tests routes of about 20 mins and its seems ok so far.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: BAVC10 Reply with quote

Working fine for me
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the nuvi 760 as well. I upgraded a couple of days ago to 3.10 and today i read your posts, so i did a test by simulating a route and left it for around 15mins and it worked fine Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Looks like i'll be upgrading again then.... Perhaps a duff upgrade.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-upgraded to 3.10 and reset user data for good measure. Tried route again and still switches off / crashes. Noticed that when it does it it still displays the last image very faintly on the screen. I've done the same route several times now and it always crashes at the same point. Then i tried a new route and it crashed before it even finished the first instruction!! Going to try and work out if it's something with the map by routing in the opposite direction.

I'll also post the routes I'm running here so others can try the same routes if they wish to test their units. If the problem is specific to certain junctions, co-ords, instructions etc it should be obvious if we all get the same problems with the same routes.....

It's currently running a route from Leicester to Newcastle. 4+ minutes and no problems so far....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some try the following with 3.10 firmware? Takes less than a minute...

1 Upland Road, SM2 5HW to 236 Carshalton Road, SM1 4SA - crashes at a point after crossing second railway bridge when you get to junction of Kings Lane and Weirhurst Gardens. Doesn't crash when travelling in opposite direction...

On one occassion, crashed when i try to set my location as 1 Upland Road, SM2 5HW. If i do it manually by pointing on the map it's ok, but entering that address and then Show Map, the Set Location = Crash. Second atempt worked ok....
HotPot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, done that. I set up a new route to go from and to those places and then ran it through as a simulation. Did it a couple of times with no problems.

Using a 760 with 3.10

Also set the start location (using address, show map, etc.) and then went to end address. still no problems.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you HotPot Thumbs Up

Crying or Very sad

Oh dear.... I'll have to do some more testing later...
richie11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: firmware update 3.10 Reply with quote

Hi,

Not posted before so here goes....I am having the same problem with the upgrade with the nuvi either freezing or turning itself off.

Regarding the roll back to 3.00 firmware on the link given there is no 3.00 exe for the NUVI 710T. I take it I cannot use the firmware for, say, the 750T as it's not generic.

Also I have run some routes on the simulator and it seems to work fine when I unload the POI's such as ATM's, Accom. etc and just have the speed camera database loaded in.

anyway off out today so shall give it a proper run and see it the unit works properly.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the firmware is designed for the 7xx Series according to the first screen when you run it so the 760 or 770 should work. The firmware for the 760 and the 770 are identical (MD5 check)

However some US models seem to have slightly differernt Firmwares.

I have the 3.00 7xx firmware if you want it.

Are you saying the crashes occur when you have POIs installed, but when you don't? Or at least over a certain number of POIs....
HotPot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ran Paulb2005's route with no problem but today I went out and started having problems. The unit will freeze when under power or just switch off when on internal battery.

I had these problems in two distinct geographical areas and my gut feeling is that it may have something to do with a number of POIs being nearby. Just a guess but that might also explain my not having a problem with PaulB2005's route.

Anyway, I have reverted to version 3.00 and will await Garmin's pleasure.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The unit will freeze when under power or just switch off when on internal battery.

Exactly what i experienced. Thank you!!!

(Actually when on battery if you look at the screen can you see the last image very faintly?)

richie11 also said

Quote:
it seems to work fine when I unload the POI's such as ATM's, Accom. etc and just have the speed camera database loaded in.

So the number POIs might well be responsible, but i can't see a connection yet, because the route i described above has 1 POI about half a mile away and the the other place where it happened "on the road" doesn't have any nearby as far as i can remember.

I'll mention this to Garmin if they get back to me.... Rolling Eyes

It might help if we start comparing numbers of POIs. I would use the number of POI POILoader reports after a successful load.

I also know there is another bug that only some people seem to experience, where if you are on a non-map screen and an alert pops up it freezes the unit....
turboccc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got also the automatic shut off when running on batteries. I am running 3.10 as well.

I thought it was because I was doing some funny stuff with my VPM voice files, but nothing that could explain this. I tried 3 times and it shut off exactly at the same place.

Maybe I'll go back to 3.00 as well.
richie11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Are you saying the crashes occur when you have POIs installed, but when you don't? Or at least over a certain number of POIs....

Thanks for the reply PaulB2005. I just installed the pgpsw camera database (13394 POI's) and then travelled from London to Dover and had no problems at all. I find that if I install the camera database along with the some of the custom POIs from this site (116959) the unit behaves exactly as described in the previous posts.

The only other strange thing to mention whilst on the journey is that I can no longer get a bluetooth connection to my N95 and the direction arrow did go the wrong way round a roundabout.....

So I think I'll revert back to the 3.00 firmware and await for a new update from Garmin.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and the direction arrow did go the wrong way round a roundabout.....

There's a couple of those near me. They are mapping errors.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: