Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap release v1.2 System Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap release v1.2 System Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you chaps wear a watch? - sure this is annoying but I fail to see how the wrong time displayed on a device can be seen as "dangerous" - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now might be the time (?) to change the direction of this discussion.

I am surprised to find that even with the new SatSync I have to rename the imported file after a SatMap reboot. Is this the case with others or is it because I did not delete the old SatSync before installing the new one.

Grateful for your views.
Satsync 1.525
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Don't you chaps wear a watch? - sure this is annoying but I fail to see how the wrong time displayed on a device can be seen as "dangerous" - Mike

If your watch says one time and your GPS says another time, I would expect some may update their watch to that of the GPS. As I said last night, it showed a plausible time, only it was incorrect.

In inclement weather I may pack away my watch in the rucksack given that the GPS gives a more accurate time check, supposedly.

Again as I said last night, an incorrect time check from the GPS (presuming one isn't aware that anything is wrong) could lead to one getting cut off by rising tides; and that has been known to be fatal. Even if the error just caused one to miss a train or ferry one would be pretty hacked off. At best it doesn't inspire confidence.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Now might be the time (?) to change the direction of this discussion.

I am surprised to find that even with the new SatSync I have to rename the imported file after a SatMap reboot. Is this the case with others or is it because I did not delete the old SatSync before installing the new one.

Grateful for your views.

I've never had to rename a file, only it makes sense to do so given that 'My Track 3' or whatever isn't very descriptive.

I cannot see much functional difference in the two SatSync versions.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Hi Mike,

Believe it or not, when I'm hillwalking, I don't usually wear my watch - I'm on holiday, so I don't need to clock-watch (plus I don't like the sweaty watch strap!) As long as I'm confident in my GPS unit (as I am with my Garmin boxes), I usually rely on that to tell me the time.
The most common need I have in knowing the time on the hills is to gauge how long I have until darkness falls - I've only been benighted twice on the hill, and even with a headtorch, it's not the most fun of experiences!

Rob
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
mikealder wrote:

In inclement weather I may pack away my watch in the rucksack given that the GPS gives a more accurate time check, supposedly.

I would have thought that todays watches are only seconds out compared to GPS, and certainly not such that they will give you a problem. My Tag is faultless in this respect.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear oh dear don't those Garmin fanboys go on and on...now their clocks keep better time than Active 10s!!

All decent advice seems to be that a GPS shouldn't be your only source of map info when out in the wilds...yet you'll happily not take a watch...or presumably a mobile phone with it's clock) with you!! Laughing
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some may be missing the point. If one has been used to getting an accurate time check from the SatMap, those who are unaware of this issue will presume that they will be getting an accurate time check. It's not about using watches, that is a bit of a red herring, its about the SatMap. Why would someone get their watch out to specifically compare it against the SatMap in the middle of a walk, just to make sure the SatMap time is correct? They'll presume their £300 bit of kit is working as intended if it looks to be functioning OK; and quite possibly get an incorrect time. That may or may not be an issue depending on the circumstances but it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand if there is any chance that it could lead to a potentially dangerous situation. I am pretty sure the manufacturer would not treat this as a superficial issue not worth bothering about as that would be irresponsible, however I see that v1.20 is still the current update and I am surprised by that.

On another issue, do I need to keep the file SatMapLog.txt on my desktop, or is it to do with a bit of testing code that was left in by mistake? If it's meant to be there, what's it for and what do I do with it?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Dear oh dear don't those Garmin fanboys go on and on...now their clocks keep better time than Active 10s!!

All decent advice seems to be that a GPS shouldn't be your only source of map info when out in the wilds...yet you'll happily not take a watch...or presumably a mobile phone with it's clock) with you!! Laughing

Laughing Better time? I'd settle for just telling the time, full stop! Although I love my Garmins, the mapping on A10 is so superior (that's why we all bought them, after all, isn't it?) that it's the one that makes it into my rucsack every time these days. It's just a shame I'm going to have to stop, take off my rucsack and delve through the lid pocket now whenever I want to know what time it is Rolling Eyes
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 'Changes in version 1.200' release notes I note:

SatMap wrote:
Charger Control. When the charger is disconnected, the screen will turn on to ensure the user knows the unit is still on.

http://www.satmap.com/software.php

Mine doesn't turn on, am I alone regarding this?
johntw669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well mine does (and it always shows the correct time)
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntw669 wrote:
Quote:

Well mine does (and it always shows the correct time)

Would you confirm that is with the new 1.20 software release?

If you are on v1.20 and the time is always correct (when you turn it on before it has got a satellite fix) and it turns on when the charger is disconnected it makes me wonder if mine has perhaps gone faulty due to this new software release. If I cannot be reassured it is OK by the weekend it looks as if I may have to take it back next week.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines been on charge all night....just unplugged it, (and the Power option was set to 5 mins,) and the screen has bounced back into life....for only the next 5 mins I guess until it powers back off......(and it has) And the clock is spot on...well, probably not quite the atomic clock, but it is accurate to all intense and purposes.
johntw669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Would you confirm that is with the new 1.20 software release?

Updated to 1.20 as soon as the update was available
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SatMap have now kindly responded to my query regarding the clock.

They advised that, as I thought, when the units were originally launched they used to keep the clock running when it was switched off. However this caused battery drain issues meaning people were putting new batteries in their unit the night before and going out the next day with decreased battery life. So they now believe that it is far safer to have a unit that updates the time upon satellite lock than a unit which has less battery life in it than expected.

I can see where they are coming from but wouldn't that be better to be another Advanced Power Saving option, like turning the track the right way up and the frequency of recording waypoints? Given that a watch can run for years on a tiny cell I wonder why the battery drain was such an issue for the SatMap. In any event, shouldn't they have made that clear in the release notes?

So those who have indicated their clock is always correct with v1.20 had better check again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: