Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ 314 and speedcams database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ 314 and speedcams database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Back on topic... Reply with quote

I've been asked to post some notes on using the PGPSW database on the iPAQ 314, so here goes.

You can import the database and use it immediately as it stands, but I found that a few changes are desirable to get round some of the limitations of the device.
Anyone who like me who has migrated to the iPAQ after using the Mio 510/710 will recognise these issues because the versions of iGO used by the two manufacturers are virtually identical.

1 - The repetitive beeps on approach to a speedcam, even when driving below the speed limit, are very loud in relation to other sounds and can be annoying.
It's possible to replace the beep with a less piercing note. You can use any sound file you like to replace the original sound file, which is located in the data.zip file at "\audio\sectionbeepB.wav".
I found that one of the other provided sound files, "\audio\!ding.wav", was a gentler but still audible substitute, so I used a copy of this to replace it.

2 - Likewise if you dislike the 'strangled turkey' noise when over the speed limit, this is "\audio\!alert5.wav" and you can replace it with something less stressful. I use "\audio\!navdingding.wav"

3 - An odd feature of this iGO version is that it will not accept or display discrete speed limits for 'mobile' cameras. It always gives an over-speed alarm regardless of your speed.
My way of dealing with this is to turn 'mobile' cameras into 'fixed' ones by editing the speedcam file with a text editor, using a search-and-replace function to replace every instance of ",5," with ",1,". You then get the proper speed limit displayed and warned.

I personally prefer to have only an approach warning and not an over-speed one for mobiles, so in addition to changing them to type 1, I also replace all the speed entries, e.g. ",30," or ",70," with ",100,". This means you don't get an alarm (unless of course you are exceeding 100mph!) An incidental advantage is that the screen display of a 100mph limit identifies the alert as a mobile location rather than a fixed camera.

This unit can get confused by SPECS cameras, and I suspect it's not the only one that does. If there is an odd number of SPECS cameras you will continue to get a warning after you have passed the last one.
Again I change these from type 4 to type 1, and I just get a warning approaching each camera. I don't need to be constantly told that I'm in a SPECS section - there are plenty of reminders on the road!

It would be a lot of effort to make these changes manually for every new camera database download, but you could create a macro in a suitable editor to do it all for you. I wrote a simple .exe program to do it all with one click.

These might seem like a lot of compromises, but I personally think they are worth it for the HUGE benefit of having directional camera warnings. I don't get bothered with spurious warnings for cameras on the opposite carriageway, on adjacent roads, or on roundabouts over a motorway.

Considering that the iPAQ with its software cost less than just iGO8 alone on an SD card, I reckon it's great value.

Sal

Last edited by Sallyann on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
adambone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for this info - any chance you could post your exe file for those of us who are too dumb to make one ourselves?

Also which text editor would you use? Is notepad up to the job?

I guess what some of us want (me anyway) is a solitary 'boing' about 1/4 of a mile out and then silence whilst we bring the car back under control and observe the posted speed limit. Possibly too much to ask but nothing in comparison with trying to get Memory Map to work on the blessed thing....
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's what to do. You can download the .EXE program from here:
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=iPAQ_speedcams.zip

Arrow Download the 'iGO - Consolidated by type' file and unzip it.
Arrow Move the six .TXT files into a temporary folder.
Arrow Put the unzipped .EXE file into the same folder and run it.
Arrow You don't have to use all six files. For example if you don't want to use the 'pmobile' cameras, just delete that file or leave it out of the folder.
Arrow The program will create a new combined file called "pocketgps_uk.txt" with all the speedcam changes, and that is the one that you must move from your PC into the speedcams folder in the iPAQ.
Arrow Then restart the iPAQ - see earlier posts in this thread for instructions.

You only need to do this if you want to make the speedcam modifications exactly as mentioned in my last post. If you want to make different changes then you will need to use a text editor, or perhaps import the download file into a spreadsheet and use that. Wordpad ought to work, but there are much better text editors such as Textpad.

I've confined my suggestions strictly to use of the speedcams database. There are many other changes you can make to the iPAQ314, described in other web sites. Have a Google and you may be surprised.

Good luck!

Edit: Going back to your 'Boing' requirement it might be possible to reduce the number of alert tones by modifying the 'approach' tone in a sound editor to add a few seconds of silence after the tone, so there is a delay before it repeats. I haven't tried this but it might just work.
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this info and the exe. Works a treat!
jimmyb313
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: 314 speedcam noise Reply with quote

hi,sally ann could you please tell me how to replace the strangled turkey noise when approaching a speed cam with the ding noise.
i have read the section above and have found the relevant wav in the data zip file.am i in the right place,as all i see are .wav files.
do i have to copy say the ding wav to another folder e.g speedcam
thanks for any help.
jim.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim.

To get rid of the 'strangled turkey', rename the turkey file !alert5.wav to !alert5.waa so that you can find it again if you need to. You can leave it in the same folder.

Then create a replacement !alert5.wav by making a copy !navdingding.wav.

Use the same method to replace sectionbeepB.wav with a copy of !ding.wav

Sal
jimmyb313
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a million sally,i'll try it now.
buy the way how do you get rid of a speedcam which you have put on yourself.
thanks,
jim.
jimmyb313
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
OK, here's what to do. You can download the .EXE program from here:
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=iPAQ_speedcams.zip

Arrow Download the 'iGO - Consolidated by type' file and unzip it.
Arrow Move the six .TXT files into a temporary folder.
Arrow Put the unzipped .EXE file into the same folder and run it.
Arrow You don't have to use all six files. For example if you don't want to use the 'pmobile' cameras, just delete that file or leave it out of the folder.
Arrow The program will create a new combined file called "pocketgps_uk.txt" with all the speedcam changes, and that is the one that you must move from your PC into the speedcams folder in the iPAQ.
Arrow Then restart the iPAQ - see earlier posts in this thread for instructions.

You only need to do this if you want to make the speedcam modifications exactly as mentioned in my last post. If you want to make different changes then you will need to use a text editor, or perhaps import the download file into a spreadsheet and use that. Wordpad ought to work, but there are much better text editors such as Textpad.

I've confined my suggestions strictly to use of the speedcams database. There are many other changes you can make to the iPAQ314, described in other web sites. Have a Google and you may be surprised.

Good luck!

Edit: Going back to your 'Boing' requirement it might be possible to reduce the number of alert tones by modifying the 'approach' tone in a sound editor to add a few seconds of silence after the tone, so there is a delay before it repeats. I haven't tried this but it might just work.

sally i am going to try the above procedure for the speedcams to my 314,just to be sure when i move the completed file over to the 314's speedcam folder do i empty this folder first and leave nothing in it.
thanks,
jim.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: