Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom SD Card usage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom SD Card usage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use TtHome but I think that it just stores the latest back up in the TomTomHome Map folder on your PC Hard disk.

Use Windows Explorer to search for .ov2 files and check the date versus the file path (i.e. something like "C/user/Programes/TomTomHome/Backup/Uk&ROI/myPois.ov2")

Note, The above file path example is made up but you get the idea.
Note2, Hope you do like OsmAnd after giving it another try. But you are correct, it is a bit quirky.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play with POIEdit last night and it's a bit limited, is there anything I can use without using data, perhaps an app?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever done a backup using TT Home, but I have zillions using Windows Explorer (and Mac Finder). Somebody here can tell you the path for TT files and backups, but I think if you start Home then check settings or something (Preferences, Folders?) it will tell you.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I don't think I've ever done a backup using TT Home, but I have zillions using Windows Explorer (and Mac Finder). Somebody here can tell you the path for TT files and backups, but I think if you start Home then check settings or something (Preferences, Folders?) it will tell you.

Morning Dennis, I just started Home, and opened it up, and you are correct under tools there is Home preferences, which shows where they're kept IE C:\Users\Kev\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup

However Home, does not contain a backup folder only, Download, from device, and sharing, so from that I can only deduce that I meant to back it up, but never actually did it Grr Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I do have some POIs as said, but POIEdit only takes you to map quest which isn't much use as the sat view doesn't seem to work, I don't have map point (too expensive), and the google option doesn't work, so I have to cut and paste to see anything in sat view, POIEdit looks like it could once have been a really good program, but looks quite old fashioned and neglected for quite some time, is there a more up to date free program which works better, I have downloaded a couple, but they seem badly written, and don't do any more than POI edit.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Kev, but we've exhausted my limited knowledge now - I've been repeating back what I vaguely remember reading from other posts. For me, PoiEdit only ever opened OV2 files to give me as text-like listing of the contents, including coordinates. But I don't recall ever doing anything with it. As for Home having no backups, I fancy that the initial installation would have setup the directories for files, which would be empty until you selected backup from Home.

I think your options now are limited to hiding away in a corner and choosing between weeping and banging your head against the wall. Sad

K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd turn of events since yesterday, I sniped two Go 710s and won, Grr, forgot about cancelling the second one, so am the proud owner of two, one of them appears to have an antenna, but not sure until it arrives, so I at least will have a backup.

I made a new POI file in poiedit and appended all the other personal POIs I could find into one file which is now 8kb in size.

I managed (don't know how) to get the Google maps tab at the bottom to work, but if I linger more than few seconds on one POI it throws up an error message, I took a pic of it as it's long winded but can't see how to attach it to a post "HELP" as I just don't understand it.

Ah, Forum FAQs, you can't so lets try this way then Rolling Eyes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bywddh2zts1iy9j/google%20message%20from%20POIEdit.JPG

Seems to work for me, hopefully the forum can see it too.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
Odd turn of events since yesterday, I sniped two Go 710s and won, Grr, forgot about cancelling the second one, so am the proud owner of two, one of them appears to have an antenna, but not sure until it arrives, so I at least will have a backup.

I made a new POI file in poiedit and appended all the other personal POIs I could find into one file which is now 8kb in size.

I managed (don't know how) to get the Google maps tab at the bottom to work, but if I linger more than few seconds on one POI it throws up an error message, I took a pic of it as it's long winded but can't see how to attach it to a post "HELP" as I just don't understand it.

Ah, Forum FAQs, you can't so lets try this way then Rolling Eyes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bywddh2zts1iy9j/google%20message%20from%20POIEdit.JPG

Seems to work for me, hopefully the forum can see it too.

Well, Kev, I'm afraid I have to admit I haven't the faintest idea what the above post means, absolute foreign gobbledygook to me. Sorry. Hang in there until somebody comes along who does understand it!

K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just me then Laughing Laughing , I think perhaps I should have started a new thread on this, as the title doesn't convey what's being discussed anymore.

I went to http://code.google.com/apis/maps/maps/documentation/javascript/v2/introduction.html#Obtaining_key just to see and it didn't work at all, so a pointless message to anyone.

BTW, someone on another forum said to go to Navitotal.com for map upgrades, not been as I don't care to go to sites I've not heard of without confirmation of them being OK.

And do you know of anywhere which repairs older TomToms at a reasonable rate as I bought a broken 4N00.005 a while back for the screen as mine was badly scratched, but when I opened it up, it looks like a small resistor?? has burnt out, so might be worth getting it repaired and sold if it's cheap enough, seeing as I no longer have a use for it but I don't know anywhere local which repairs them and again a recommendation is better.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
POIEdit looks like it could once have been a really good program, but looks quite old fashioned and neglected for quite some time, is there a more up to date free program which works better, I have downloaded a couple, but they seem badly written, and don't do any more than POI edit.

Have you tried the POI Editor for TomTom from here?
Samsung Galaxy S21
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Kev
I've lost the plot (and the will to live) here. What exactly are you trying to do?
The site that you mention is a site from where you can d/l pirated maps, amongst other things. We don't approve or talk about such things here.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But for repairs...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=90505
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
K13ehr wrote:
POIEdit looks like it could once have been a really good program, but looks quite old fashioned and neglected for quite some time, is there a more up to date free program which works better, I have downloaded a couple, but they seem badly written, and don't do any more than POI edit.

Have you tried the POI Editor for TomTom from here?

Thanks Anita I'll look into tonight Very Happy
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
@ Kev
I've lost the plot (and the will to live) here. What exactly are you trying to do?
The site that you mention is a site from where you can d/l pirated maps, amongst other things. We don't approve or talk about such things here.

Plot, what plot, not sure I ever had one, Thanks for the HU on the pirate site, I want nothing to do with them as you might save a few quid, then spend a fortune trying to get rid of whatever else is downloaded, and was the main reason for the question about it.

What am I trying to do, just get a working unit again, which hopefully I will have by this time next week, 2 of them.

I would like to update the maps though, but is it possible as I assume TT have removed support for the older units, which was nice of them, good job Mr Gates didn't do that innit.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
But for repairs...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=90505

Thanks I'll have a look and see if it's viable.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
I would like to update the maps though, but is it possible as I assume TT have removed support for the older units, which was nice of them, good job Mr Gates didn't do that innit.

If it's the latest maps for the 710 you're after Europe is £59.95, Western Europe is £49.95, or UK is £39.95 at the TomTom Map Shop.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: