Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom SD Card usage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom SD Card usage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of piracy, the maps from one SatNav can NOT be transferred to a different SatNav (unless the maps were originally purchased on SD card but then they would not fit into your soon-to-be GO 550 anyway because that takes MicroSD cards and not SD cards).
You would need to buy the GO550 and then supplement it with maps for Europe as and when OR buy the GO750 which has UK, ROI and the rest of Europe as standard.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for that little tidbit, don't you just love Tom Tom for making everything so simple.

I've a good mind to get my IQ3600 out of storage, that'll show em. Razz Razz

Maybe I should put that up for sale, offers anyone Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 750 on e-bay looks good to me but it doesn't stop at just the 750, you will still need a 4GB MicroSD card to accomodate the newer European maps as they are larger than the capacity of the internal memory unless you want to use one of the stupid zoned maps they offer - Mike
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when it say maps included "Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Russian Federation, Turkey, United Kingdom, Vatican"

Are they not already in the unit then, or do you download them from Tom Tom once you register the unit with them.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how many TomTom can of worms do you want to open? Very Happy

Originally the maps fitted on the device. Over the years (remember the GO x20,x30,x40 & x50 are old in age - but not features), the maps have got bigger, so big in fact that they will not fit on the SatNav without
a) fitting a memory card to increase memory capacity, or
b) dividing the map into smaller, more manageable areas.

From memory, I think that the main Europe map is divided into North, East, South, West & Central. You can download ALL the different map areas and the original full size map for your one purchase to store somewhere safe. Swap map areas out/in as you travel to different parts of Europe. The same country appears on different map areas too. i.e. Uk is on the North and West Europe map. Spain is on West and South, etc.

REMEMBER - When you do get your SatNav, please make a Windows Explorer back-up of it first before doing anything else.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the point of my post above is -

Perhaps the maps are old and they fit.

PS: your sig makes me smile everytime I see it. Very Happy
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ali, I have to ask what must be the most obvious question now.

Why on earth doesn't Tom Tom just expand the internal memory, it's not like it's be expensive.

Unbelievable. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading the internal memory isn't viable unless done when the device is designed, the Go-940 Live and 950 are both equipped with enough internal memory (4GB) to store the latest European maps but to do so requires removal of the North American Maps.

The 750 on e-bay will have the older maps installed otherwise they simply don't fit on the internal flash storage. An update to the latest maps will require the use of a memory card or switching to the stupid zonal maps.

I think TomTom started to lose the plot with the x40 series as the demise of certain features crept in, the x50 made things slightly worse. More recently the newer (larger) maps won't fit the device without recourse to memory cards. Add to the above software updates that have noticably slowed the device down especially in the user interface interaction with the device further compounds the issue of so called "updates"

Take a long hard look at what you want from the device before spending any cash, even a trip to your local Halfords to see what the competition have to offer is worth considering - Mike
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I might just do that, but the muppets at Halfords seem to know less than I do, so I'd need to take advice on which to go for, and the loss adjuster won't want to hang around waiting for me to make a decision so I might just end up going for a the 550.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tomtom 4N00.005 has gone walkabout, I'm sure I've put it somewhere safe, but it's not answering when I call it, So I need to sort something out to replace it.

Mostly I'll miss the hundreds of POIs I've added over the last few years of nice places to visit, I think I did a backup, but I'm not sure what the file extension is to do a search, so I could do with a little help there.

If I can find any backup, I then need to be able to get a replacement, and another tomtom 4N00.005 would suit me fine, I never had any problems with it and if I could find one it wouldn't cost me a fortune, and I could use the SD slot again.

I tried using my Samsung Galaxy 2 today, with both Osmand free version and Google maps, Osmand was a waste of time, and just didn't know where it was, Google got me to my destination OK, but the volume was just too low, but on the way back it just didn't want to play.

So I'd like a some advice of an economical direction to go.

Oh yeah I dug out my ancient Garmin Ique 3600, which did a reasonable job of going around the local streets, but the sound has gone on it so meant me constantly having to look at the screen, which isn't ideal.

I'm on pension credit, so silly prices just won't work for me, and the new Tomtoms won't take a SD card I'm told.

Any ideas please.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
My tomtom 4N00.005 has gone walkabout....
For the curious, does the 4N00.005 have a non-Latin name like "Go 750"?,

K13ehr wrote:
......but I'm not sure what the file extension is to do a search, so I could do with a little help there.
The POI's are normally stored in the same folder that contains the map(s) and shall end with an .ov2 extension.

K13ehr wrote:
....I tried using my Samsung Galaxy 2 today, with both Osmand free ....
I think OsmAnd is very capable, I use it frequently and it doesn't let me down, It could be worth a revisit.
Failing that, Waze. It's free and now Google owned so the TT search that used to be is now available on Waze but you do need a 3g connection to use it. You also get free traffic information with Waze.
And, failing that, there is always the Android TT app. You can import your POI's into the map folder and navigate to them, just like on your 4N00.005, but it doesn't give proximity alerts. The app can be a bit pricy but TT often have spot sales, you'll have to keep visiting the "Play" store as I don't think that the sales are widely publicised.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
For the curious, does the 4N00.005 have a non-Latin name like "Go 750"?,

I believe it's called a TomTom one first edition V4, but I used the number to be more specifically identify it, due to the number of TT one versions

AliOnHols wrote:
The POI's are normally stored in the same folder that contains the map(s) and shall end with an .ov2 extension.

Thanks, I'll have a search later and hopefully find a usable backup.

AliOnHols wrote:
I think OsmAnd is very capable, I use it frequently and it doesn't let me down, It could be worth a revisit.
Failing that, Waze. It's free and now Google owned so the TT search that used to be is now available on Waze but you do need a 3g connection to use it. You also get free traffic information with Waze.
And, failing that, there is always the Android TT app. You can import your POI's into the map folder and navigate to them, just like on your 4N00.005, but it doesn't give proximity alerts. The app can be a bit pricy but TT often have spot sales, you'll have to keep visiting the "Play" store as I don't think that the sales are widely publicised.

Maybe it was just a bad install, so I've deleted it and downloaded it again, but I did find it awkward to set up in the first place, and it takes forever to download the maps, but as you say give it another try.

I'll have a look at Waze, but not sure what 3g is all about, and if I would use data to run Waze as my tarrif only allows 500mb per month, if it's uses data then it's a no go anyway.

I also need to be able to add to my ever growing POI library, not sure how some of the apps handle that, and if you find one which does allow use of the the TT POIs, then decide it just doesn't work, you have to start all over again.

However the real purpose of the post was to find a replacement which does every thing the old one did, or more, for a low price, the problem is £££s or the lack of them, so used is going to be my only option.

Kev.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a search and found some ov2 files with cryptic names Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes however I don't have a tomtom to open them to see if they're any use, does anyone know of a suitable app or program which can look at them.

Kev.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get http://www.poiedit.com/

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis I remembered about it an hour after I posted it, I've been looking and I do have some older, but still viable POIs I can use, I'll just have to use them as a base and build on them.

I'm sure I did a recent backup using TomTom home, but I don't know how to check on that without a unit plugged in.

Kev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: