Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom SD Card usage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom SD Card usage
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom SD Card usage Reply with quote

Hi, I currently use two Tom Tom's, a 300 go at work which if I pull out the SD card, it stops working, and my personal Tom Tom one Europe, has a SD slot, but no card, I have a spare 128mb card which I would like to use in the TT one, but when inserted, it displays a remove SD card icon, so my first question is, how do I make use of this unused SD slot. Next question is, when I connect my go to a PC to download speed camera POI's it just dies, like the battery has gone flat, am I doing something wrong.

Cheers Kev.

Last edited by K13ehr on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the Go-300 needs the SD card for storage of the maps and application as it has very limited memory. The TT One Device you have must be a One V4 (quite rare), what are the numbers on the underside 4N00.005 per chance?
If so this One has built in memory and can use an SD card, but it will only use one or the other. To use the SD card slot copy all the data from the device to your PC then copy the data to the SD card, I very much doubt a 128MB card will be of much use though.
Which device dies when you connect it to the PC, either unit should appear in Windows Explorer as its own drive letter - Mike
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom SD Card usage Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

It's the TT 300 which is suicidal, I've even tried different cables and computers but nothing works, however a mate of mine seems to be able to upload stuff to it, but won't give his secrets away, I assume he's just using a card reader, but when I try doing things that way, Embarassed it won't boot up.

So I just let him do it, but I'd much rather do it myself. Cool

Cheers Kev

PS I'll check out the underside one the TT one later, (does rare mean loads of trouble, as it's already been swapped once at Halfords) Evil or Very Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By rare I mean the device was only sold for a very short duration, it is probably the best TomTom One device out of the 8 or 9 different units they have released under the 'One' name. I certainly wouldn't worry about it being problematic, with the combination of Bluetooth, Flash memory and SD card slot you have more functionality and options available to you than with any other One product.

What are you trying to install to your 300 it should connect to the PC and act as a card reader, try connecting the USB cable directly to a socket on the rear of the PC and see if that makes a difference, front mounted sockets or those on monitors often cause issues - Mike
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The TT One Device you have must be a One V4 (quite rare), what are the numbers on the underside 4N00.005 per chance?

Hi Mike, I've had a look underneath and you're correct it is a 4N00.005, so my next question must be, if this is the best version of the "one" so far, why did they put a SD slot there, but make it so you can only do either or, to use it, it seems a bit pointless in tooling up to make a slot and then make it useless unless you want to mess around swapping from the internal memory.

the mind boggles

Cheers Kev
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD slot offers flexibility in that you can have a different application and map on the card to that installed to the built in memory, it also allows use of maps larger than the built in memories capacity, it will accept a 2 or 4GB SD card, note SDHC cards are not currently supported on that device.
If a card is detected when the unit boots up it will use the card as long as all the required files and folders are present, if there is no card installed the device will boot from the memory, this can be handy if you want two different maps on the unit but memory capacity isn't sufficient, say a trip to the USA, use the device in the UK on flash memory and when you get over the pond put the SD card in with the US maps and application files - Mike
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom SD Card usage Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I have to say, I've been on lots of different forums on lots of subjects, but until now I've no been on one worth a light, so thanks for your help, every question answered perfectly, Thank you very much, I now feel my TT one is of much more use to me, can I use any SD card or does it have to be some special one, I ask as I have 1gb Tesco card from my old digital camera which might be useful, as it occurred to me that if I use the flash memory, to save my own POI's, (we freecamp in our motorhome, and save those special places we find) I could then back it up to the SD card, and should the flash memory ever fail on me, I have it all to hand, unlike last time when I had to start all over again. Does that make any sense at all.

Cheers Kev
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that makes perfect sense. Use Windows Explorer to copy EVERYTHING from the internal memory to the SD card, and it should boot from that instead whenever it is inserted.

There used to be a topic in the TomTom specific section of the forum of recommended SD card brands to use or avoid.
That seems to have been "unstickied" so has vanished way down the topic list, but there is one on another forum I know HERE.
Basically, the better-known brands are usually safe, the real "cheapies" may not be, but if you have got one already, just try it and see!
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom SD Card usage Reply with quote

Hmm, I tried to copy from the internal memory to the SD last night, I made everything visible so I got everything, and cut and pasted, an hour later it was still copying, so I left it and went to bed, it was still at it this morning so I think something went awry somehow, I suspect the card, So to isolate the problem or at least try to, I'm going to copy from the TT one to the hard drive, then copy to the SD card instead of going direct, hopefully that will work.

Incidentaly, just how much memory does a single POI take up, I ask because the internal memory on my TT one is 958mb, free space is down to 9.84mb, so not a huge amount of space left.

Cheers Kev.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always copy from the device to the PC and then to the memory card, trying to go direct from the device to the SD card is known to be problematic.

As for free memory a few MB say 3 or 4 should always be left free on the device or SDcard for the device to use, otherwise it can experiance lockups. POI files are very small, take the camera database which has 10,000+ locations stored and it takes up less than 0,5MB so any single location isn't really a problem - Mike
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom SD Card usage Reply with quote

Well it appears to have worked, at least it has booted up with the card installed, is there anyway to check which memory it's working from?

Cheers Kev.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's got the card installed, it should always be running from that.
But if you want to convince yourself, you could always just delete one POI file from the map on the card (using Windows Explorer) and see if it has vanished when you boot up the Go next time.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

The TT One Device I still have is a One V4 the numbers on the underside are 4N00.005 so an oldy but goody. Notice I said still have, I had two, read on.

Someone walked into our lounge the other day, and walked out with my newish laptop, camera and lenses, all on the coffee table doing downloads of holiday snaps and uploading the new speed cams, so they had a birthday, all while I was in the garage.

Anyway I need to replace it with something similar, I'd like to stay with TT, but would also like to run from the SD card as I still have an identical TT as the one which was stolen, luckily I copied the POI's onto that a couple of weeks ago, so still have them.

I rang Tom Tom and they suggested all but the very last one
would run from the SD card, but in the specs it just list SD as additional memory .

So which would you say is the nearest Tom Tom to my old one which will run from the SD, but without stitching up the insurance company, I need a Europe version, then I can continue with my claim.

Thanks

Kev.[url][/url][url][/url]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev, sorry to hear of your loss.

Now, it seems to me that TomTom have given you completely useless and totally wrong information as usual!
K13ehr wrote:

I rang Tom Tom and they suggested all but the very last one
would run from the SD card

Rubbish!
All of the units on your link (EXCEPT the last one) are new "NAV3" models, so none of them will "work off the SD card" in the way you are hoping.

Some of them DO have an SD card slot, but they all use the internal memory for everything and only use the SD card as additional storage if they need it. You have no control over what gets to go on the SD card and in fact you cannot even see what is on it if you look at the card in a card reader.

The XXL on the other hand, is a traditional "NAV2" model, where you can see what is on the internal memory using Windows Explorer. The machine uses the software maps. POIs etc on it's internal memory.

However, if your only concern is keeping your old POIs, then that should not b a problem for any model, as the new "MyTomTom" interface software for the NAV3 models allows you to upload POI files from your old SD card or from your PC.
If you opt for the XXL, you can just copy them across from the old card to the new one's map folder in the usual way.

(Edited since Guivre's post in the hope I don't look quite such an idiot!)

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the XXL has a card slot, just 2Gb of internal memory.

Edit: just confirmed that in the specifications on the link.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: