Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box Reply with quote

Please use other threads in the Guestbook and Feedback Forum for general site feedback.

What we're looking for here is ideas for the future development of the speed camera database and website covering things such as:

Idea camera database quality
Idea increasing new camera reports
Idea increasing database usage
Idea site layout
Idea new site sections
Idea partnerships

...in fact anything you can think of that'll make our community an even better place to be Smile

Please note that not all suggestions will be responded to due to time constraints, but all ideas will be very welcome! We promise to read and consider every suggestion made.

Just press the 'post reply' button below to make a suggestion...
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Was wondering if you'd considered adding some data, maybe some photos and descriptions of speed cameras outside the UK.
I've recently sent in a photo of a French static camera which is probably the most widely seen in France, althought it's obvious when you get close up to it, it's quite different to the UK versions.

Cheers

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about reducing the size of the downloads to help when the new database is released with site speed.

Split the Icons from the zip file. i.e.for tom tom just the OV2 files in the zip folder as you don't need them every time you download.

Very Happy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking idea this.

I was a 'lurker' for some time before I actually signed up. I don't know the exact figures, but I would guess I wasn't alone. There are probably loads - what 70 visitors to forum contributors? I don't know, but I think it would be a good idea to get more people to contribute, even like adding a POI say.
It has been mentioned before, if everyone just added 1 local POI, the database would be more awesome than it is now.

For me, the web site is pretty daunting to look at. There are so many different Forums to cater for all the different manufacturers etc. It can be quite confusing, never mind going to the download and submission pages.
There is a lot of scrolling up and down to view all the different options available.
I don't know how you do it and i don't know any cost implications, time etc. But I think it needs a cleaner leaner look.

That aside, everything you want is here, keep up the good work, I certainly appreciate what you all do.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether this is quite what you are after - but something I would find useful if you put date of last camera db release on front page link - you might even want to take it a stage further and have it highlight if the account hasn't downloaded them since updated (obviously need options somewhere to identify which set of interest)

Might even be worth having it remember which download user prefers
marc_holmes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: POI Reply with quote

How about a facility to "store" our favourite POI categories, so when we come for updates we don't have to pick them all again?

We just click "Download" and it says "ah, you had those POI's last time, here they are again".
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy & Marc That idea wouldn't work for me. With POIs, I cherry pick from time to time and download only what I fancy at the time - this time I want up to date Travelodge, next time ASDA. With the speed cameras, I actually download five different sets when a new release is issued and from time to time in between I download three sets (that's because I'm a verifier and I get more cameras than you do, but the same theory applies to a family with more than one device, say a TomTom and a Garmin).

By the way Jimmy, don't you use the report methods to hear about new camera releases? - go to the notification page and at the bottom click on Watch this Topic and you'll get an email every time a new one is released. There's also the RSS feed method, but I don't know how that works - too technical for an oldie like me!

Good ideas though. Keep 'em coming.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:
Rob,
Was wondering if you'd considered adding some data, maybe some photos and descriptions of speed cameras outside the UK.
I've recently sent in a photo of a French static camera which is probably the most widely seen in France, althought it's obvious when you get close up to it, it's quite different to the UK versions.

Cheers

Gav

this is actually on my 'to do' list already :D

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
Not sure whether this is quite what you are after - but something I would find useful if you put date of last camera db release on front page link - you might even want to take it a stage further and have it highlight if the account hasn't downloaded them since updated (obviously need options somewhere to identify which set of interest)

Might even be worth having it remember which download user prefers

the whole download section is being re-jigged in the background at the moment with the aim being to have it such that you can bookmark the download page for a specific format/device.

MaFt
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had a lot of support given by people on various things - the latest I've seen is the new 'short' camera warnings provided by a member that you have recently incorporated in the voice section of the official camera database.

Can this be recognised in some way? (Assuming you haven't already done some private "reckoning-up"). I don't suggest any pre-publicised reward system - too cumbersome; more a post-acceptance 'award' announcement, such as free life membership of the camera 'club', which could be posted as an incentive for others to come up with added-value products, but with you being the final judges.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its very hard to critisize the PGPSW Website, personally i think it just wants fine tuning, Avoid personal wants and suggest the best for everybody,
I think it has grown out of its original perception and the categories need sorting, too many questions out of category, perhaps more categories added, it is a growing market, some of the categories do not flow perhaps because they have been added without thought for the future developments.
My main gripe is the POI Database problems, the excuse being that it is downloaded on the Fly, well even a fly lands sometimes and so the POIs being kept on a database it must be static at sometime and therefore retreivable, so i cannot accept this.
I have not intended this to be argumentive but constructive, you asked for suggestions for improvement, so this is my start.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
You've had a lot of support given by people on various things - the latest I've seen is the new 'short' camera warnings provided by a member that you have recently incorporated in the voice section of the official camera database.

Can this be recognised in some way? (Assuming you haven't already done some private "reckoning-up"). I don't suggest any pre-publicised reward system - too cumbersome; more a post-acceptance 'award' announcement, such as free life membership of the camera 'club', which could be posted as an incentive for others to come up with added-value products, but with you being the final judges.

I think it's worth saying that where a member has supported us in this way over and above the 'norm' then it is normal for us to reward them and we have done so on many occasions although we don't as a matter of course publicise this.
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

Two things that I think would be good are:-

On the camera database you supply a list of types of camera and their country locations. It would be nice to see the previous camera update figures and date on the same form for reference. Also when you advise us how many lifetime subscriptions have been given away it would be of interest to know how many of these relate to each country too.

Great site.
Keep up the good work.
not_sure_i_care
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would like to see a makeover of the website. A general refresh of the layout would be good. Been the same for a while and whilst the content is good new fonts, images etc would make it look better.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Brickie64 wrote:
Rob,

Cheers

Gav

this is actually on my 'to do' list already :D

MaFt

And I have been out and about taking some Geo-referrenced pictures too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: