Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Their database is fee based as well and they have the same issues we face as regards piracy.

You dont need to answer this first part, I am assuming GpsPasSion employ a similar system of tracking as PGPSW.
Perhaps a collaboration could be arranged where our users would also report piracy of their database and their users also report piracy of ours. This would broaden the net to cross channel sites not normally visited.
Forward relevant email reports for investigation?

For the PGPSW site, how about a button link to mail piracy reports, it takes a little digging to find the correct "Piracy AT pocketgpsworld.com." email address (replace " AT " with"@").
rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one.......
Its not a problem........
But it might cut down on duplicate threads Confused
Every time a new database is released we get a new threads thanking you for the free lifetime membership.....
And them maybe another few thread requesting status is changed to lifetime member.......
And maybe mention that lifetime membership will only be credited for 20 years then re-applied after this time as the software only allows 20 years to be credited to the accounts.
Now I dont know if this is included in the e-mail you send out to break the good news, but how about.........

To thank us for our generosity & to request your status changed to lifetime member for all to see please visit THIS THREAD
You may also notice your membership has only been extended by 20 years, but rest assured if we are still here in 20 years your membership will be extened again at this time.

Or words to that effect Very Happy
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a couple of minor changes have been made to the forum front page, one being the "team" link is no longer posted with every section. Now we just have the link to the same moderator list no fewer than 60 times Rolling Eyes

David Byrne of Talking Heads wrote:
Say something once, why say it again?

Qu'est-ce que c'est? Laughing
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
I see a couple of minor changes have been made to the forum front page, one being the "team" link is no longer posted with every section. Now we just have the link to the same moderator list no fewer than 60 times Rolling Eyes

David Byrne of Talking Heads wrote:
Say something once, why say it again?

Qu'est-ce que c'est? Laughing

I managed to delete both of the links, but unfortunately I couldn't find a way of deleting the prefix 'Moderator' and the word just looked strange hanging there by itself...so the Mod link had to go back. I've also shortened the page by an inch or two by editing unnecessary text.

You never know though, we might be able to find a way to get rid of the Mod link one day! You wouldn't believe the huge amount of files and code we have to plough through sometimes just to change the simplest things Crying or Very sad

Also, just to let everyone know, we're now working on a system of dropdown menus on the top navigation bar to match the layout of our new left side of the page navigation. And we are further working on a way to improve access to all the reviews from the front page.

We're getting there - we do listen, honest! Very Happy
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the Google ads are important to the site and I am not saying get rid of them, but would it be possible to reposition them from the top of the page to the bottom? Another option is to make use of the sky blue borders on each side of the web page.
I have about 100 mm of wasted space on my desktop. Wink

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to keep the ads at the top, as the lower the ad, the less people click on them. We only get paid if the ads are clicked and we rely very heavily on our ad revenue.

I'm currently working out a way where we can get rid of the blue borders altogether, but it's not as straightforward as some might imagine. It depends on which screen resolution you view the site in as to how it is rendered, i.e. if it is a low resolution, due to the current design the site stretches further than the width of the screen. This means that many would have to scroll sideways to see the right hand side of the site. Not ideal!

That said, I'm looking at a different way of handling the sizing in the code so all resolutions will be catered for. Not being the most experienced coder in the World, and having to work within the relative confines of the current overall design, more than one template (and the time available!), it may take some time, but I'll have a good stab at it! Smile

I personally think it would be much preferable to fill the whole screen... much more can be read across the body of the page with much less downward scrolling. The likes of Yahoo and Amazon use the whole screen successfully, so hopefully we will be able to as well... and if it looks like pants, then we can always revert back Laughing
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Also, just to let everyone know, we're now working on a system of dropdown menus on the top navigation bar to match the layout of our new left side of the page navigation. And we are further working on a way to improve access to all the reviews from the front page.

We have just updated the left hand and top of page navigation areas. We thought it would make sense to mirror the original style of the left hand menu for consistency.

Have we missed anything from the dropdowns? Can it be improved? Do the dropdowns work in all circumstances?

MikeB has also produced a new route and index to the articles and reviews. If the [+] review expansions on the left hand nav menu do not work on your computer/device, please let us know.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
For the PGPSW site, how about a button link to mail piracy reports, it takes a little digging to find the correct "Piracy AT pocketgpsworld.com." email address (replace " AT " with"@").

Thanks Colin, we've added a 'Report Privacy' email link to 3 of the dropdowns in the top menu and once to the left hand one.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we've added a 'Report Privacy' email link

PGPSW going all 1984 on us??? Laughing

Drop Down link is correct though..... Wink
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, Embarassed quite right, it should read PIRACY Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What drop down boxes? I am running mobile using the phone at the moment (a proper phone not an iFone) and I cannot see any dropdown boxes, also if there are any adverts on the righthand side of the page they are missing as well - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What drop down boxes?

Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys! This is the way to go. Already much easier to find stuff. Thumbs Up

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What drop down boxes? I am running mobile using the phone at the moment (a proper phone not an iFone) and I cannot see any dropdown boxes, also if there are any adverts on the righthand side of the page they are missing as well - Mike

Sorry Mike, MikeB is currently working on the code and it looks as if we'll have to deprive mobile users of the dropdowns (for the time being?) as there appears to be real estate problems on some devices Sad

MikeB is also working on the ads.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Have we missed anything from the dropdowns?

You're just not paying attention are you Laughing

Just spotted that I've missed 'Hot Topic Forums'.

We're also going to add 'New Topics' and 'Your Posts'. Any more we can add/have missed?

Last edited by RobBrady on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: