Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Microsoft update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Microsoft update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to go back on Topic, but it would appear that the original OP topic is also a problem with Vista but in a different way, I have just spent 3 days reinstalling Vista on a new Lappy and just finished installing 40 plus vista updates and have found Outlook and Autocad now refuse to work, also knocked out internet connection but this reinstalled straight away, apperently acording to internet search thier is no current answer to this,
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the laptop died because of the update? FWIW I ran the update on 2 Vista laptops but the second failed to boot and had to go through the lengthy repair sequence.
3 days to re-install? what happened to the backup disc/image?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
3 days to re-install? what happened to the backup disc/image?

Thank goodness for Time Machine Wink
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Thank goodness for Time Machine Wink

Suppose that would be useful Laughing may even find the wallet full of Disney tickets I lost in '97.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not say Lappy died.only Outlook,Forget Autocad discovered different problem, period Over 3 day not 3 full Days and also includes reinstalling various programs, Outlook says -Miicrosoft Office outlook has stopped working- if you search google you will see problem but no answer, back up no good because old desktop and Lappy Xp plus I wanted aclean Installation, ovre the 3 (Part) days it downloaded 81 updates for Vista and 9 Office 2007 updates which doesnt include the 8 already removed to try and locate the culprit.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Outlook start in safe mode (ctrl click)? Should give you functionality until a fix is released.
BTW '03 is not effected.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Tried but may go back to 03, cannot see any benefit for 07 apart from the new screen layout which seems confusing and hard to navigate at first.but will sort further tomorrow.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
@MaFt. I used Adaware and Spybot myself and found them very capable. But both are only removal tools and so will not block (ie allow) infection until a sweep is performed and IMHO that is way too late. A good freeware blocker would be Spyware Blaster. Again, I used it myself for some time in conjunction with the two mentioned, and not much got past to be found by those.

cheers for that mullet. to be honest i dont have many problems with spyware, i don't do limewire etc and i'm careful about which sites i visit.

still useful to know though - for friends / family etc when they have pc problems!!

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Mullet i too use both Adaware and Spybot and give an occasionall sweep, I also use the following:
Zonealarm Free: at least it communicates with you and asks for permissions,
AVG8 Free: Again it comunicates and sits in the background and does its job well, updating itself quitely daily.
Tune up Utilities 2008 and Windows Doctor 1.7:Like Adaware and Spybot do not block, but Tune up 2008 contains also a one touch tune up maintenace that cleans the registry etc and informs you when you need a defrag, used with Windows doctor(one cleans that the other misses) and doing an occasional sweep keeps the machine tuned.
The other benefit with AVG is that it highlights the tracking cookies which i am compiling a block list to insert into Windows explorer and this has reduced my spam fro 30-40 a day down to 2-3 now, just need a way to import without typing, Its now a long time since i have had a problem with spyware or virus, after trying varying so called solutions I feel IMHO i have now got the perfect solution.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must add, since settling on the above both adaware and spybot now seem a waste of time because for the past few weeks have not shown any thing to remove, but will keep them in for now just in case sods law raises it head.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tune up Utilities 2008
Snap, I use this but it has nothing to do with spyware protection. It is purely a housekeeping suite.
Dont EVER let your guard down to spyware. This stuff is infinitely more dangerous than virus.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most of the above software ( AVG, Zone Alarm ,Spybot, AdAware, A squared) plus Winpatrol ( free)

http://www.winpatrol.com/

http://www.winpatrol.com/whyplus.html?index
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re:Dennis problem with 64bit xp, whenever i run tuneup utilities on my desktop amd 64bit dual core machine it tells me that i am running a 32 bit os on a 64 bit machine and i didnt have a choice when it it was loaded, but following questions to various people i was told that it was not worthwhile or practical to upgrade to 64bit OS due to lack of software support and any speed increase would be minimal if any, I have certainly not had any problems with software.
Any problems i am having is purely with vista on a brand new lappy,in that Microsoft vista and microsoft Outlook dont want to work together despite reinstalling them and now upto 81 Vista updates and 12 Office updates even tho only 2 weeks old.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
microsoft Outlook

Which version? What exactly doesn't work?

Quote:
upto 81 Vista updates and 12 Office updates even tho only 2 weeks old

About right. Vista is over a year old now.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which version? What exactly doesn't work?

Office 2007, Just reinstalled and when start outlook it says Microsoft office has stopped working and windows is checking for solution, and then Windows will close the progam and notify you if a solution is available, it originally said that it is a microsoft problem check for updates etc, consequently after checking it said windows uptodate, it no longer says this, so i presume microsoft have now given up up on me, All other items with the suite work fine i,e, Word,Excell and Powerpoin, Both are genuine progs, Vista being oem on acer turion 64x2 2ghz with 3gb ram, I am trying to persevere with vista but am getting very dissalusioned with it and very much on the brink of dumping it and reverting to Xp.
A secondary problem is after installing autocad and having a problem, it will not let me reinstall saying already installed and denies me access to certain folders to search for remnants to reinstall, I have tried about every registry clean up utility, and tune up prog i can get hold of till i am blue in the face and also every permissions change available including searching the web but appears no answer their neither, I like Vista interface but it seems to have a stranglehold on the user.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: