Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST V2 map quality in Switzerland/Germany/Austria?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST V2 map quality in Switzerland/Germany/Austria?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chroemerli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: SmartST V2 map quality in Switzerland/Germany/Austria? Reply with quote

Hi all

I saw that this forum is also used for SmartST Pro discussion so I hope you don't mind my cross-post. Wink

I recently bought a GPS3450 with SmartST Pro.

I was very disappointed by the quality of the Swiss map (haven't tried other areas like Austria or Germany yet).

The door-to-door doesn't work because there are (almost) no street numbers on the (Swiss) map.
I'm quite often routed through avoid areas ("banned streets") and through small streets instead of the faster main streets.

After discussing this issues with Navman Support, they suggested to buy an update to SmartST V2. I really hoped to get at least a discount for upgrading to V2 but they also referred to handnav.co.uk (£ 139).

Has anyone already used SmartST V2 in Switzerland (or neighbouring countries which had the same problem concerning map quality)? If yes, I would appreciate if you could inform me about your experiance (improvements?) of V2.

Because of the quite high price for the upgrade to V2, I'm also thinking of buying TomTom Navigator 3. Has anyone (in Switzerland, Germany or Austria) tested TomTom 3? If yes, what about map quality, avoid areas/banned streets, street numbers?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Andreas
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas, I cannot confirm whether the V2 maps in Switzerland, Germany and Austria are better, but in the UK they are not, they are the same or worse!

I would not buy the upgrade. There is evidence that new purchasers (Dec'03) of GPS3450 have been upgraded for free, i.e. me! It did take a few complaint e-mails.

As V2 has moved to teleatlas maps, the door-to-door may be better, but as I said, I cannot confirm whether the V2 maps in Switzerland, Germany and Austria are better. It is likely that TT3 maps in Switzerland, Germany and Austria will be of a similar quality to SmartST V2 as they are the same source.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
chroemerli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stevee

Thanks for your help.
I also contacted Navman Europe and complained about the upgrade price. I also bought my 3450 in Dec 03 so they promised me to send me SmartST V2 for free. :D

So I'll check out the (hopefully improved) maps in a few days.

Thanks,
Andreas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: