Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1 Month Sub Option Gone ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1 Month Sub Option Gone ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jook wrote:
I don't want to subscribe for a 12 month period as I think that £19 for 1 or 2 downloads is a little steep (in my opinion anyway).

Read the third post down HERE and then reconsider whether that £19 is a little steep compared with whatever he's got coming - he'll be lucky to get away with three points and £60!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BrentWherry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: One month ? Reply with quote

Shame it's gone.

I'm not paying £19 since I only update every two or three years.

Simply, I don't believe the excuse of Piracy because if you're seriously going to be a Pirate £19 is nothing. More to to with exploitation I think . I'll look for another source.

Brent Wherry
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two or three years? If I'm honest, what's the point of having a safety camera database that is two or three years out of date? At the rate that cameras change these days, its hardly worth having if its that old. You just need to see how many additions/deletions/changes there are per monthly/fortnightly release to see why it is still worth it!

Would a £60 fine and 3 points be better than a £19 subscription? I think the answer speaks for itself!

iPhone 12
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't get it, the £2 option meant that anyone caught offering their copy on P2P and File Swapping sites meant that when they were caught they would only loose a £2 subscription. With the £2 option gone they now stand to loose £19 a time.

Whether you believe it or not the fact is that piracy is down and it's harder and harder to find the database on file swapping sites. The facts and the figures speak for themselves.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: One month ? Reply with quote

BrentWherry wrote:
Shame it's gone.
I'm not paying £19 since I only update every two or three years.
Simply, I don't believe the excuse of Piracy because if you're seriously going to be a Pirate £19 is nothing. More to to with exploitation I think . I'll look for another source.

Well, you'll easily find an old copy on the "funny" sites - I'm sure there's still a 2006 version somewhere that we've stopped caring about trashing. All you need do is pay to join those sites and download it merrily. But as Falkirk says, what's the point? If your camera database gives you the self confidence to make you a habitual speeder, you'll be speeding and get nicked by one of the ones not listed on that 2006 set. I found it in no time at all -
Quote:
PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database Version 4.092 15 Sep 2006
There are a total of 10,420 cameras in the database.
That is a total of 3,000 less than in the newest database released a couple of days ago.

For all the effort that goes into producing the database, you want to pay peanuts? I presume you are familiar with the saying about peanuts and monkeys. Twisted Evil

Incidentally, the charge of £2 a month was only introduced in Feb 2006, so who do you think you are you kidding over only updating ever two or three years?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search harder there are much more recent leaks. This recurring issue will never be fully resolved until a (X) downloads for (X) £s tariff is applied.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Search harder there are much more recent leaks.

We know. But a) not that many and b) not that many are genuine.

Quote:
This recurring issue will never be fully resolved until a (X) downloads for (X) £s tariff is applied.

And how do you Police the problem of the occasional corrupt download? What about people with more than one unit? What about those that might want to try the Single File Database, the Consolidated and the Speed Zoned so they can compare them to see what works best for them?

Sorry but at £19 a Year for unlimited downloads is very good value. I notice too that those complaining about the missing £2 charge only seem to raise their heads every few months or so. Not like the majority miss it is it?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We know. But a) not that many and b) not that many are genuine.

True the clampdown has worked. Not so true, but lets not go there.

Quote:
And how do you Police the problem of the occasional corrupt download? What about people with more than one unit? What about those that might want to try the Single File Database, the Consolidated and the Speed Zoned so they can compare them to see what works best for them?

Is your memory really that short Paul? One download once equalled all you can eat within the whole period ie one month and so fulfilled all the requirements above. This is what I am suggesting with an up front payment based on downloads, not time.

Quote:
Sorry but at £19 a Year for unlimited downloads is very good value.

No apology needed, I agree it does represent good value, and you will notice I have not stated otherwise.

Quote:
I notice too that those complaining about the missing £2 charge only seem to raise their heads every few months or so.

This is true of those who actually post their thoughts, but it looses customers none the less.

Quote:
Not like the majority miss it is it?

I don't know the size of the minority, but isn't their subscription cash worth keeping?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest database that is being touted on some pirate forums claims to be a recent release but is actually months old.
Mullet wrote:
I don't know the size of the minority, but isn't their subscription cash worth keeping?

There is obviously a level at which any business has to draw a line. We could chase every £1 but the return becomes untenable eventually. The systems we have in place currently do not lend themselves to a charge per download option and the work involved is we believe uneconomic based on any potential return.

No-one else in this market offers monthly or per download options but we are always re-considering our options.

And I'm happy to state that any claims we dropped the monthly option were for reasons other than piracy are wholly false. And the reality is that our subscriber numbers are up and piracy is down since the move so I think our decision has been vindicated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: