Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compass error on latest version
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass error on latest version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using version 8 there are no options, other than turning on or off, if enabled it points North, otherwise it doesn't litter the nav screen - Far worse than the previous options we have become used to when running Navcore 7 and earlier software relative to the compass capabilty and options - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and so if someone used a previous version where it was pointing in the direction of travel or towards their destination i can see the confusion when upgrading to v8 as it would appear to be "broken".
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse than that though, if you try running a custom menu on a device running version 8 software to re-introduce the full compass options it doesn't work - they have removed this fully from the application, the only option left to those that don't like the current state of affairs it to complain to TT Support (0845 161 009) - it is a degradation of functionality in my opinion - Mike
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it defaults to pointing north, so:

if the arrow is pointing to the LEFT of the screen, you are traveling EAST

if the arrow is pointing to the RIGHT of the screen, you are traveling WEST

if the arrow is pointing UP the screen, you are traveling NORTH

if the arrow is pointing DOWN the screen, you are traveling SOUTH

Surely, if you've used a real compass, the needle always points NORTH so why is this move by TomTom so illogical?

The pointer is working on exactly the same principle as a proper compass, n'est pas?
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
I agree, it works, and it's like a normal compass.
My preference is to see what direction I'm heading in. I don't really care where North is just where I'm going.
Cars that have built in compass show the direction you are headed in (in my experience).
Just can't understand why they've made the decision to remove the option Mad

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Firstly, yes, you're absolutely right on how a compass works. It always points north. 100% correct.

The problem I think is that, as pointed out in the previous few posts (which I'm sure you've read, maybe too quickly to digest?) the v7 'compass' gave the option to point north, or in the direction of travel, or at the destination.

The v8 one doesn't and hence why some, who may have used it outside of the 'classic' mode before, now consider it broken.

Whether they do or they don't, there's no denying that TomTom have removed capability in this regard. They have deliberately degraded the functionality of their product for, as yet, reasons unknown.

I normally used it north-up, with the heading shown within. I can still have the heading but (again, as others have point out) only by foregoing some other piece of data on the status bar.

How about TT restore the 'compass' as it was, with the 3 different modes of operation and the choice to have a big one or a small one and the option to contain data within the big one if desired? Then everyone is happy, the 'compass' has been enhanced rather than degraded in the transition from v7 to v8.

Except that maybe they ought to call it a 'direction indicator', so as not to upset the compass purists like yourself.

Finally, although it's not a big deal to you that it has been changed, it is a big deal to some, and some of your posts seem to deride the fact that it is a big deal to us. That's a bit unfair I think. Different people use TomToms in slightly different ways.

As for me, like I said, usually north up with heading. Sometimes I'd change it to point to the destination, particularly when trying to find inner-city locations which TT was making a hash of doing on it's own (one-ways, no right turn, just awful routing etc). I could blag my way to the destination by using the 'compass' and some situational awareness.

Can't do that now, so V8 is retrograde for me.

edit: crossed with brickie, so slightly redundant now. also a word edit.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read those posts.

I guess that I'm in a very small minority, probably of 1 Wink, but I've never seen the need to know the direction to my destination.

Unless you know where you are and which roads are suitable for detours, it's usually a complete gamble. Even when you do know where you are, the GPS often selects routes you might not have thought to use yourself.

the philosophy that I use with GPS is that it might not give you the best route, it might not give you the fastest route, but at least you shouldn't get completely lost.
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, again you're quite right. GPS nav very rarely gets it wrong but it has done it to me once or twice before, due to the map being out of date (NB newest version with MapShare enabled) and one-way systems in London (being the most recent case). Tomtom just kept taking me around in circles. Confused

So while GPS is very good, it is also true that the computer is not king and having access to secondary functionality like a point-to-destination can be useful if it bombs.

I work in an industry where computers try to navigate us to our destination in 3 dimensions, not 2. They're usually very good indeed but you have to watch them, or sometimes they'll put you in a bind, albeit not getting you truly lost -- just as well or the holidaymakers expecting Corfu would be a bit disappointed with Helsinki! Very Happy
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

I guess that I'm in a very small minority, probably of 1 Wink, but I've never seen the need to know the direction to my destination.

Well...in America, we do travel by direction.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUE! ...but don't your roads go predominantly N/S and E/W?

For most purposes, the simple pointer is more than enough for what I need and I can quickly determine my direction of travel from the pointer, although I accept that others have different preferences.

...and I think I shall leave it at that.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
TRUE! ...but don't your roads go predominantly N/S and E/W?

Yeah. That way you always know, aha, the pointer is pointing north, and to the left, I must be traveling east.

Quote:
For most purposes, the simple pointer is more than enough for what I need and I can quickly determine my direction of travel from the pointer

Hey...I was the one agreeing with you ;)
I like the newer, smaller pointer.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:
For most purposes, the simple pointer is more than enough for what I need and I can quickly determine my direction of travel from the pointer

Hey...I was the one agreeing with you ;)
I like the newer, smaller pointer.

Sorry, that comment wasn't aimed at anybody in particular.

I can't see what all the fuss is about and I'm beginning to think that I'm just adding fuel to the fire in this thread, and it seems to be one of those things which is very much down to personal preference or a case of "it's always been like that".

Some other manufacturers have always only had the point to north option, some don't give the choice of vertical or horizontal status bar.

In many ways, the American directional road system makes a lot of sense - you'd have fun with our spaghetti-like European roads. Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using the curent heading information for speed camera verification and then you will find it very handy - oops its not there any more, now I wonder why they decided to remove it...... Evil or Very Mad

Still there are other ways to display current heading on the device which also kill the entire TomTom application so you can still get this, but its only useful for those who want to mess around with a second device as you get no navigation prompts when doing so - a Nice map of your own creation can be displayed though - Mike
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

In many ways, the American directional road system makes a lot of sense - you'd have fun with our spaghetti-like European roads. Laughing

Oh believe me, I know. I've driven tens of thousands of miles on European streets, and don't I wish I'd that technology had existed back then.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has having the heading displayed in the status bar killed the whole application?

Given that the camera submissions also don't need to be reported to the nearest degree, then there are other ways of obtaining it - the compass on the submissions page for one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: