Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compass error on latest version
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass error on latest version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the information.
DABurleigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about regarding the compass. If those people who are complaining about its disappearance were given a map and compass, the vast majority probably wouldn't have a clue of where to start."

That may be the case, Andy. But as such a person "making a fuss", I am on the UK national committee for radio-orienteering, so know a map and a compass when I see one.

"There is a 'Direction' option within the Status Bar preferences, which will display your heading in the status bar - bigger and clearer than the compass was."

But a digital display, not a graphical "analogue" one which is easier to assimilate quicker.

Dave
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a certified mountain leader and also know a map and compass when I see one - and the TomTom compass certainly wasn't one.

For the vast majority of users, the new pointer is far more than adequate and just because something has always been there doesn't mean that it's necessarily better.

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions and we can all start throwing our weight around, but I certainly wouldn't rely on the TomTom compass.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally raised this as an issue with TomTom Suport (on-line). My question was "when I upgraded to 8.010 what happened to the Compass Preferences option?" They responded as follows:

Quote:
Dear Mr Turner,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is 080707-010303.

With the latest Version 8 software update, many new changes and features have been implemented with this update. One of which is that the Compass feature has changed.

The Compass is now shown as a small icon in the bottom left hand corner of the main Navigation screen and points to the North only. Because of these changes, it is no longer possible to point to your destination or direction of travel.

At TomTom, we take all customer feedback seriously. If the new style compass is something that is not to your liking and you preferred the functionality of the old style compass, please reply back with some details of how you used the old style compass and some suggestions of how to improve the new compass. We will pass this information to our 2nd line team and product management teams and it is possible that the new compass feature will be improved yet again with more functionality.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Perhaps GPS World could ask the users what they think?
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it is possible that the new compass feature will be improved yet again with more functionality.

I don't think that we should ask them to improve it any further. They seem to have a strange idea of the meaning of the word improve.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

For the vast majority of users, the new pointer is far more than adequate and just because something has always been there doesn't mean that it's necessarily better.

That may be true IF you use the strict definition of a "compass".
However, the original "pointer", had several functions that took it BEYOND the definition of a compass. Taking those away from people who liked and used them is damned annoying
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying, it may be, but it still serves a purpose - unlike TomTom's attempts at implementing handsfree on the x20 range
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recently upgraded the navcore on the 920 I'm using presently, all I can say about the compass is that it's a real disappointment. I agree that the reduced size of the compass display is a good idea and it's nice to be able to see if the bluetooth connection to the phone is OK....BUT the compass direction indication is totally illogical IMHO.

Really confused by the compass direction indication when travelling east or west....what were they thinking about when they programmed that ??

Guess they've cut down on the size of the program to fit in other stuff and consequently had to take away my option to select direction of travel on compass view. Rolling Eyes

Lets just hope it's put back to how it was when we bought our units !!!!

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Really confused by the compass direction indication when travelling east or west....what were they thinking about when they programmed that ??

That it would behave like a real compass would??? Perhaps they had a lot of complaints the that it didn't behave like a real compass???
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:

The needle's pointing North, no matter which direction you're traveling. I fail to understand the problem.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The needle's pointing North, no matter which direction you're traveling. I fail to understand the problem.

Some people have never used a compass before but didn't the old compass point in the direction of your destination rather than North?
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a compass in the past when hill walking etc so I'm no stranger to it but I fail to see why they've chosen this as the default indication, it's just plain confusing. Anything that makes the time I have to look at the screen of a PND shorter, the better for me, whilst I'm looking at the screen and trying to work out which is north, I'm not looking at the road.

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Some people have never used a compass before but didn't the old compass point in the direction of your destination rather than North?

That was one option. Let me check my notes...

Brickie64 wrote:
Anything that makes the time I have to look at the screen of a PND shorter, the better for me, whilst I'm looking at the screen and trying to work out which is north, I'm not looking at the road.

North is where the needle is pointing at.

There. I'm traveling towards the rails, which are North of my location.

Last edited by Kar98 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which option does it default to? If it defaults to point North that might explain the confusion.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
On V8 it defaults to "point North".
Gav

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: