Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with my GTM-21
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with my GTM-21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Problem with my GTM-21 Reply with quote

I've not been using my C510T regularly / daily for a few months, now.

Last time there was a GTM firmware upgrade (and I notice there appears to be another one just recently released) is probably when I last used it in anger, before a day or two back.

Although I think I upgraded the firmware a couple of weeks back, and often attached it to a bedroom window, with the GTM plugged in, to check it's working OK. Last time I did this, I experienced the same symptoms, as now, which are:-

when I connect everything up, and use my C510, it doesn't seem to pick up on the GTM being attached - no icon on the main screen, and no traffic info available. The green led lights up signifying that power is getting to my C510, but the other led (GTM status) doesn't light up at all.

If I go into diagnostics on my C510, it does see the GTM attached, and detects the firmware version running on it.

I guess my main question is has anybody else experienced this?

I'm going to try this latest GTM firmware upgrade, to see if that makes any difference, too.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some feedback to this, when I plug in my C510 (with the GTM-21) attached to it, to my PC (I did this actually to upgrade the GTM firmware, with the recent update...), this led does light up - with the sort of amber colour.

webupdater must have detected the GTM, because it spotted the firmware upgrade for it. It applied it, although I didn't notice the normal bit of the GTM firmware upgrade that seems to happen the first time you power the unit up with it attached, but subsequent runs of webupdater don't find the GTM firmware needing upgrade, so it must have obviously applied it.

And looking at the comments for the GTM firmware upgrade, perhaps is suggestive as to why mine may not be working at present, but the firmware may have addressed the issue?

I'll try it going home tonight to see if I get any TMC / GTM detection by my C510.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More feedback... (I just won't let this drop, will I ;-))

The new GTM firmware didn't make any appreciable difference to the way it operates (no GTM led status light when connected in the car, no obvious detection by the C510), so I guess it's contacting Garmin about it (it should still be well under warranty).
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked your units system and copyright info screen to see if the versions listed there are the latest ones.

The fact that your GTM is not picking up traffic info might be simply due to the fact that you are in a poor reception area, If I remember correctly the last GTM update was simply a change in the licensing terms so would not affect the operation.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captureboy wrote:
Have you checked your units system and copyright info screen to see if the versions listed there are the latest ones.

webupdater has been run against it, to get the latest GTM firmware. Unless I was doing something reasonably clever with some of the Garmin's files, it wouldn't get that, were it not on the latest unit firmware.

captureboy wrote:
The fact that your GTM is not picking up traffic info might be simply due to the fact that you are in a poor reception area, If I remember correctly the last GTM update was simply a change in the licensing terms so would not affect the operation.

This is not about reception, this is about my C510 seemingly noticing the GTM is attached (ie no GTM status light lit up, as opposed to it being red or amber).

As I said in the first post, my unit "sees" the GTM when in diagnostic mode. I also get the GTM status lights lighting up (the only time, right now) when I connect everything up (ie GTM plugged into the C510), and USB cable connecting up to my PC.

When it's plugged in in the car, no status light, no icons (regarding the GTM or traffic) on my C510. If my C510 was simply having reception problems, the GTM status led would show this, and the icon on the C510 would simply be grey.

Oh and the reason I mentioned the latest firmware, was specifically because of the licensing / subscription terms - it was merely a thought that if my C510 thought the subscription was no longer valid, it maybe wouldn't even try and attempt using it, and perhaps the latest firmware had some updated details.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
As I said in the first post, my unit "sees" the GTM when in diagnostic mode.

If my C510 was simply having reception problems, the GTM status led would show this, and the icon on the C510 would simply be grey.

webupdater must have detected the GTM, because it spotted the firmware upgrade for it. It applied it, although I didn't notice the normal bit of the GTM firmware upgrade that seems to happen the first time you power the unit up with it attached, but subsequent runs of webupdater don't find the GTM firmware needing upgrade, so it must have obviously applied it.

Oh and the reason I mentioned the latest firmware, was specifically because of the licensing / subscription terms - it was merely a thought that if my C510 thought the subscription was no longer valid, it maybe wouldn't even try and attempt using it, and perhaps the latest firmware had some updated details.

I thought someone more knowledgeable might have chimed in by now...

I'm a newbie to the GTM-21 thing, having just acquired one (to my surprise!) with a Nüvi 760.

The whole receiver is buried in the car, but I took my trusty C510 out to it and plugged it in. I immediately got "2 grey cars" and Spanner|Traffic. If I go to this maintenance page, it says I'm not subscribed, but it will "happen automatically when the gpsr gets a satellite signal". (I don't know what that has to do with the price of fish?!?)

That screen has always said that - (on the 760 it shows a lifetime subscription to traffic master uk).

I waited quite a while, before the two grey cars "lit up" and did something useful - long enough for me to go back inside and get the 760 to compare! But then it burst into life and started showing me incidents. (The C510 shows more detail about them, than the 760)

So, in short the "two grey cars" signify that they're up and chatting and they go white, when it first receives some actual traffic info.

Re: the firmware update: the other day, webupdater found this update for the 760 and said it had downloaded it. The next time I ran it, it didn't mention the traffic receiver. But the GTM-21 hadn't been connected in all this time; it wasn't till I plugged it in the car that it actually did the update.
In other words, Webupdater is just looking at GarminDevice.xml and at the .BIN files on the unit.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
I waited quite a while, before the two grey cars "lit up" and did something useful - long enough for me to go back inside and get the 760 to compare! But then it burst into life and started showing me incidents. (The C510 shows more detail about them, than the 760)

So, in short the "two grey cars" signify that they're up and chatting and they go white, when it first receives some actual traffic info.

I don't get this at all at present - ie no cars, greyed or otherwise.

PhilHornby wrote:
Re: the firmware update: the other day, webupdater found this update for the 760 and said it had downloaded it. The next time I ran it, it didn't mention the traffic receiver. But the GTM-21 hadn't been connected in all this time; it wasn't till I plugged it in the car that it actually did the update.
In other words, Webupdater is just looking at GarminDevice.xml and at the .BIN files on the unit.

The odd thing about this update, compared with previous firmware updates to the GTM, is that it's (webupdater) has downloaded it, but it has only applied to the GTM, once the C510 boots up with the GTM attached, normally - and you'd see the C510 doing the upgrade. Otherwise if you just kept scanning with webupdater, it would keep finding the update.

With this update, I didn't see any evidence of it being applied by the C510 during a normaly power-up with the GTM connected. But webupdater doesn't.

I've just gone into diagnostic mode, now, to check that it still sees the GTM, and it does, and just then it did the software upgrade for it (it's now on 4.80). So my C510 has only just applied the GTM upgrade.

That's has been the odd thing for me - the GTM status led would light up when in diagnostic mode, or when my C510 is connected to my PC via USB.

I'll see if the newer firmware (now that it has properly applied) has made any difference to it working when I try it in my car.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update to this, really - changes in firmware didn't make any difference, in fact I'm not entirely convinced it managed to actually update the GTM-21 with 4.80. Webupdater downloaded it and put it on my C510, but I never saw the screens on the C510 to say it was actually applying it.

I did find it odd, that when connected via USB to a PC, the C510 would apparently see the GTM (well the LED came on, although only in amber), but wouldn't any more with the C510 just used normally.

I contacted Garmin, and they requested I return it and gave me an RMA. After discussing, they said they'd like both the C510 and the GTM-21, in case the fault was with the C510.

Anyway I got it back, and it would appear that the fault wasn't with the GTM (because I wrote down the serial number before I sent it off, and I've got the same one back). As a bonus, they've sent me a C550 to replace the C510, so mucho impressed, and traffic and the GTM is working reasonably well.

On the two journeys I've done with it so far, I've had quite good GTM reception - certainly useful and workable. Bluetooth, mp3 playing, TTS, and audio out on the C550 are appreciated bonuses.

Updating the maps was trickier - when registered, I didn't get an unlock code staight away. I had to use their download link for the mapping update, and a product code sent as part of the download notification. Only then would anything update the maps (ie not my normal mapsource installation with unlock codes for a couple of units).

Now the unlock code shows in mygarmin, so alls well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: