Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Favourites from 700 to 730t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourites from 700 to 730t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Favourites from 700 to 730t Reply with quote

I understand it is possible and have printed out instructions on how to copy cfg file from my tomtom 700 to my new 730t but how accurate is it? i am shortly off to france and need to navigate to a location which is very difficult to find without my tomtom 700. I will of course take my 700 as a backup but would like to transfer the favourites from the 700 map version 660 to my 730t which has the latest version of maps v8.05. My 730t is working perfectly at the moment but it has seemingly been a bit flakey so is it worth the risk has anyone done this and how accurate will it be or is it best left well alone use my 700 for the final part of journey. Any advice much appreciated. Confused
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the less invasive to the system is to change the Favourites into a POI. This can then be copied to any suitable Device easily.

The problem with using the cfg File from a 660 Map is going to be with the extra data that will be contained in the file of the 805 Map version

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Probably the less invasive to the system is to change the Favourites into a POI.

...and two ways to do that are:

1. 'One by one' on the machine.
Go to Change Preferences / Manage POI / Add POI category / Give it a name like "My Favourites".
Go to Change Preferences / Manage POI / Add POI / Choose your new category / select from Favourite / pick first favourite on list
Repeat for all Favourites.
then copy the "My Favourites.ov2" and "My Favourites.bmp" files from the map folder of the old TomTom to the map folder of the new one

2. via POI Edit
Open the MapSettings.cfg file from the map folder of the old TomTom in POI Edit on your PC. This will show your Favourites, Resent Destinations, Home location etc.
Delete the ones you don't want then save the rest as an .ov2 POI file.
Copy from PC into the map folder on new TomTom

If you haven't got it already, get POIEdit from http://www.poiedit.com/

Oldboy wrote:

The problem with using the cfg File from a 660 Map is going to be with the extra data that will be contained in the file of the 805 Map version

This often manifests itself as the Favourites working fine but things like speech recognition stopping working....

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
headhurts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all sounds a bit scary to me but will give it a go, yes i do have back ups of both devices, thanks for your input and advice.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention all the copying and pasting above is done with Windows Explorer, which sees the TomToms as new disk drives (just like any other ones) when you plug them in via USB.

Take it slow and steady and use somewhere like the Desktop on the PC as your temporary store when copying from one TT to the other.

Always use the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray (next to the PC clock) before you unplug the TomToms too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: