Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have I broken mapshare?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have I broken mapshare?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a444lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange i just connected it to my comp today and it said new mapshare updates available and the file size was 0.1 and it downloaded them ok but its still sayin out of date at the top, maybe its upto date and theres just a problem with home?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a444lad wrote:
sven1 wrote:
Out of interest do those of you affected have the MapServerPatch.dat file in your map folder?

nope i dont have any MapServerPatch.dat file, should i?

MapServerPatch.dat is one of the 4 or 5 files ADDED by Map Share, so if you've never had any corrections, you won't have the file.

The advice to delete it, is really for people (like me) where MapShare STOPPED working. Deleting the files kick starts it into starting from scratch and downloading ALL the corrections.

If it won't start at all, I don't know what else to suggest. Always harder to investigate when it won't go wrong for me!
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the following. can't see if it works at the moment as getting server error but this is more encouraging than the no updates available response I have been having.

If you receive an error while you are downloading Mapshare Corrections via TomTom Home 2.0, then please do the following:-

STEP 1

- Disconnect your TomTom from your computer
- Close TomTom Home on your PC
- Deactivate Map Share (from main menu - map corrections - Download corrections - Leave - Yes)
- Tap onto 'Change Preferences - reset factory settings'.
- Connect your TomTom to your computer

STEP 2

- You will need to delete your existing Map Corrections, to do this, please view the following website:-
http://www.tomtom.com/7269

Your Mapshare Corrections should now have been removed.

STEP 3

- Switch the TomTom On
- Tap onto 'Map Corrections - Correction Preferences', tap onto 'Join'.
- Tick all the mapshare options e.g. 'Corrections I made myself' etc.
- Select the option 'Always share my corrections with others'. Press Done.
- Select 'Show Report Button'.

Once you have done this, connect the TomTom to the computer. Open TomTom Home and update your TomTom again, TomTom Home will redownload all the mapshare corrections that you need.

Please confirm if this has solved your issue.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for clarity, that's basically the same as what we've been saying (delete the corrections) BUT with the added step of un-subscribing form MapShare first.

Hope it works!
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG the support geniuses at TT have provided a solution.

mapshare updates coming in.

Which thoroughly inconsiderate person referred to them as morons and dim tarts!

or did they just get lucky!

Jon
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a surprising number of small errors in those instructions from TomTom (wrong menu selections etc. and steps missed out)
I've just gone through the whole process, and THINK these are the right instructions in full.
Any chance someone can check them for any mistakes?

Here goes:

Home sometimes tells you that your map is not up to date, and suggests you download corrections, but then it won't do it!

There have been several methods posted on how to "kick start" it, but this seems the most comprehensive:

STEP 1
- On the TomTom, from main menu go to Map corrections / Download corrections from others (NOT 'preferences') / select 'Leave' and 'Yes' to confirm. This will un-subscribe you from Map Share
- Now go to Change Preferences / Reset factory settings. (Unfortunately you will lose all your personal settings at this step, so backup everything beforehand).

STEP 2
- Connect your TomTom to your computer
- Run TomTom Home (and if you have a device with both internal memory and an SD card, select the correct storage location for the map in use).
- In ' Home' go to the Tools menu / TomTom Map Share/ Remove corrections. Tick both options and press 'Done'. This will remove ALL map corrections you have made yourself or received from TomTom so far.
- In Home, select Device menu / Disconnect device, and then WAIT until the unit re-boots and you get to the 'Do you want to connect to computer?' screen. Say 'no' and wait until you see the normal navigation screen before switching it off and unplugging.

STEP 3
- Switch the TomTom On (if it isn't already)
- From main menu go to Map corrections / Download corrections from others and select 'Join'.
- Tick all the Map Share options e.g. 'Corrections I made myself' etc.Press 'Done'.
- Agree to the use of other people's corrections
- Select the option 'Always share my corrections with others', or "Ask me to share...". Press 'Done'.
- Select 'Show Report Button' if you wish.Press 'Done' and 'Done' again.

STEP 4
- Re-connect your TomTom to your computer
- Run TomTom 'Home' (and if you have a device with both internal memory and an SD card select the correct storage location for the map in use).
- In 'Home' go to Tools / TomTom Map Share / Mapshare preferences. Tick all the countries you want corrections for and press Done.
- Select "Update my TomTom and you should be offered the new corrections. Click 'Update and install' to download them to your TomTom.

Finally, from the Home menus, select Device / Disconnect device. WAIT until the unit re-boots and you get to the 'Do you want to connect to computer?' screen. Say 'no' and wait until you see the normal navigation screen before switching it off and unplugging.

Edited to add additional unplugging instructions.

Last edited by Andy_P on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comprehensive re-write. just to point out that the first time i did it i didn't go through the set up process of setting language, home, etc between your steps 1 and 2. The fix didn't work. second time round i set up the 920 between steps 1 and 2 and it worked. this may be coincidental but might be useful.

Jon
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy......good list but one thing I'd like you to change if you don't mind. The last bullet of step 2 says to wait till Home says to disconnect and then do so. I personally feel that Home gives this warning prematurely and, as a consequence, many users are disconnecting (removing the unit) before the data really is finished being written to memory.

I wonder whether you can flesh out the last point to let the user know to WAIT until the unit boots to the the 'do you want to connect to the computer' screen at which time the user can say 'no' and safely power off.

If you feel I'm overreacting in my request, so be it, I guess.
oolaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info my mapshare problem is resolved & they were offered to me at last tonight. I've not reset , made any changes or been in touch with support, so could suggest the problem was at the TT server end. Could well be thanks to those who have made support requests to TT support.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What!!!

TomTom's servers are acting up?? Surprised Surprised
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Andy......good list but one thing I'd like you to change if you don't mind.

I know you feel strongly about this! Laughing I've edited it add your extras (and repeated it in step 4 as well!)

Just one little disagreement... where you say:
Quote:
Say 'no' and safely power off. and then unplug the TomTom and allow it to re-boot.

...I don't get the final re-boot you mention after turning off, it just starts up as normal when you switch on again.

Incidentally, do you get the same behaviour I do when you don't use Home at all?

If I use "Disconnect Device" in TT Home, I immediately get the progress bar at the bottom of the TT screen and the TT re-boots back to normal, immediately followed by the "Do you want to connect to computer" screen. If I say "No" it goes back to normal navigation, and I can switch off or unplug.

But if I haven't used Home at all and just use the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, I get the balloon pop-up on the PC screen after a few seconds, saying it is now safe to remove, but the TT screen does absolutely nothing (it stays on the picture of the TT on the dock with a green background). If I then unplug the USB I get the progress bar and it re-boots back to normal operation.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir, same experience as you.

By the way, I accept your disagreement Laughing since I chose my words poorly. I really did not mean 'boot-up' when I should have said 'revert to ....'

Thanks for your changes and thanks for your correcting me. Appreciate it, as always.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: